Can the ZS1 USB Network Interface be used with a Perseus ?

  • mrdynalink
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2013
      Hello dear Perseus Users,

      I use a Perseus in my Shack and I have a webserver running in the cellar ... the idea is to start the Perseus server software on the Webserver and make the perseus available arround the clock for everybody. But the room in the cellar is to far away from my shack for an USB cable.

      I don`t want to use the PC in my shack. It`s an older one which requires 300W ... too much for running a server arround the clock. The server in the cellar needs only 25 W. I experimented with the Longshine USB to LAN converter "US-204" to connect my Perseus in the shack with the server over LAN. This worked on "driver-level" (I could connect the Perseus server software without error messages) ... but it didn`t worked, perhaps of deficient performance of this little box.

      Last saturday I was on the Interradio in Hannover and had a conversation at the booth of SSB-Elektronic about the new available USB-Network-Interface of the ZS-1. I asked if this device is usable for the Perseus too. The answer was that this could be possible but it could not be guaranteed.

      My question ... is there anybody who owns a ZS1-interface and a Perseus and was able to connect the perseus over LAN ?

      Friendly regards
      Henning
      DF5FH
    • Willi Passmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2013
        Hello Henning,

        it was me you were talking to in Hannover.

        Your question made me curious, so today I connected a Perseus to the USB-Network-Interface.

        I can access my Perseus via LAN and WLAN. It worked fine with a sampling rate of up to 500 kS/s. With 1000 kS I oberved slight audio dropouts, with 2000 kS/s heavy dropouts.

        The same applies to remote access. Try out my server DJ6JZ - I'll keep it online for the next couple of hours. The Perseus is currently connected to my PC via the USB-Network-Interface.

        vy 73,
        Willi, DJ6JZ

        http://www.radio-portal.org/sdr.html
        SDR-Special
        http://www.mediafire.com/?2lve8wq6y1ou2
        Perseus Databases - Third Party Software Guide & more

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2013

          Hello Willi,

          thank you very much for testing the Perseus on LAN using the ZS1-Interface! I was connected to your server this afternoon and I could agree to all your informations ... 500 kS/s are working perfect. So the zs1-Interface is an energy-saving method to bring a perseus online around the clock if there is another internet-connected PC available on the LAN.

          On my project list the project "Perseus Server" was already drifted into the background ... now it becomes back into the foreground :-)

          Thank you very much, Willi

          friendly regards

          Henning

          ---In perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com, <wpassmann@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Keith
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2013
            I just emailed him. I also checked the Hingham HS website. Graduation
            is actually May 31 so if we do a party for Lindsey maybe we can do it
            the following weekend. I'll keep you updated.

            On 12/2/2013 11:59 AM, server@... wrote:
> [...]
            >
            > Last saturday I was on the Interradio in Hannover and had a conversation at the booth of SSB-Elektronic about the new available USB-Network-Interface of the ZS-1. I asked if this device is usable for the Perseus too. The answer was that this could be possible but it could not be guaranteed.
            >
            > My question ... is there anybody who owns a ZS1-interface and a Perseus and was able to connect the perseus over LAN ?

          • Keith
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2013
              oops....this was meant for someone off list. Sorry about that guys.

              On 12/2/2013 12:02 PM, Keith wrote:
> [...]
              >>
              >> Last saturday I was on the Interradio in Hannover and had a conversation at the booth of SSB-Elektronic about the new available USB-Network-Interface of the ZS-1. I asked if this device is usable for the Perseus too. The answer was that this could be possible but it could not be guaranteed.
              >>
              >> My question ... is there anybody who owns a ZS1-interface and a Perseus and was able to connect the perseus over LAN ?

            • doug12455
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2013

                Heck I'm all for the party portion :-)

                Brian