Dead Perseus

  • olleoverby
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 19, 2013
      My Perseus sudden got dead. The power supply delivers 5 V. Is there a fuse indide ?

      Olle
    • Walter Salmaniw
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 19, 2013
        Nope, as far as I know......Walt

        On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM, <olleoverby@...> wrote:

        My Perseus sudden got dead. The power supply delivers 5 V. Is there a fuse indide ?

        Olle

      • Johan Letterstål
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 19, 2013

          Could be a blown cap at the DC side inside the unit. Guy Aktkins had a remedy for this. Check this forum for earlier posts. /Johan L SWE

          My Perseus sudden got dead. The power supply delivers 5 V. Is there a fuse indide ?

          Olle

          No virus found in this message.

          No virus found in this message.

        • Mark Durenberger
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 19, 2013
            Are you sure it’s getting a valid USB connection?  It’ll play dead until USB is active.

            Regards,

            Mark Durenberger

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 19, 2013
              Hi Olle,

              Johan is right... there is information about the repair in this forum, but it is located in the "Files" section.

              Look for the article titled "Perseus_Repair_G_Atkins.pdf".

              73,

              Guy Atkins
              Puyallup, WA USA

              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Johan Letterstål <johan.letterstal@...> wrote:

              > Could be a blown cap at the DC side inside the unit. Guy Aktkins had a remedy for this. Check this forum for earlier posts. /Johan L SWE

            • Anthony R Gargano
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 19, 2013
                I posed this question piggybacked onto another thread and had no responses. Thought I would post it as a new thread. Anyone successfully using the Perseus with a tablet PC? There was a post some time ago from someone using a Microsoft Surface tablet with a Perseus. What about less expensive Atom powered tablets? Anyone using one successfully? I saw an Asus T100TA 1.33GHz Atom Z3740 with 2 gig of RAM and Win 8.1. for just $349. Cheap enough to dedicate it for the Perseus. Would something like that work? Anyone know?
                Thanks

                Anthony R Gargano
                n2ss@...
              • Göran Norstedt
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 19, 2013
                  Hi Anthony,
                  I have backup laptop for ditto listening purposes and
                  it works fine with Perseus, if I don't strain it.
                  It's a Celeron 1,8 with 2 GB and Win7. Listening in
                  IRL-mode is fine. But if I'd like to record, I have to settle for
                  500 Kbps or lower. Even at 500 it somtimes get "tired".
                  I know the Atom is a fine processor, so just use this as a
                  benchmark to behold.

                  Kind regards

                  Göran Norstedt
                  SM7IYM at JO65mq
                  Lomma, SWE

                  +4640412213
                  +46709374909

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 20, 2013
                    Hi,
                    I've used an older Acer Netbook, Atom 1.6GHz (memory size unknown, 512MB?) togheter with Mestor and/or YAPS for unattended recording. YAPS need Perseus software running. Mestor is standalone and very lean.
                    No problem @ 1000 kS/s.
                    For realtime listening, the outcome would be different, perhaps 500 kS/s.
                    73 Johan

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 20, 2013

                      I've run the Perseus on the Microsoft Surface Pro with good results but, as you know, it's an Intel i5 running 1.7 GHz; I tried the Perseus on an Asus Eee PC with the Atom N270 running at 1.6 GHz a few years back and had trouble running the Perseus software above 500 ks/sec recording or playback. I'd be afraid of something similar with a 1.33GHz Atom tablet, but haven't heard of anyone using that yet.

                      73,

                      Brett Saylor

                      ---In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, <n2ss@...> wrote:

                      I posed this question piggybacked onto another thread and had no responses. Thought I would post it as a new thread. Anyone successfully using the Perseus with a tablet PC? There was a post some time ago from someone using a Microsoft Surface tablet with a Perseus. What about less expensive Atom powered tablets? Anyone using one successfully? I saw an Asus T100TA 1.33GHz Atom Z3740 with 2 gig of RAM and Win 8.1. for just $349. Cheap enough to dedicate it for the Perseus. Would something like that work? Anyone know?
                      Thanks

                      Anthony R Gargano
                      n2ss@...
                    • Simon Brown
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 20, 2013

                        Hi All,

                        The big problem with ATOM chips is that the floating point performance is very compromised. They are fine with integer math which in the main is what web browsing and e-mail uses, but this clever numerical stuff can struggle at times. I have a feeling that I read somewhere that the next generation of ATOM chips have better FPU performance but I was probably dreaming…

                        Simon Brown (G4ELI/HB9DRV)
                        http://v2.sdr-radio.com

                        From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bds2@...

                        I've run the Perseus on the Microsoft Surface Pro with good results but, as you know, it's an Intel i5 running 1.7 GHz; I tried the Perseus on an Asus Eee PC with the Atom N270 running at 1.6 GHz a few years back and had trouble running the Perseus software above 500 ks/sec recording or playback. I'd be afraid of something similar with a 1.33GHz Atom tablet, but haven't heard of anyone using that yet.

                      • Werner Karn