StationList problem

  • gtorbeck
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013

      Hello,

      Everyone seems to be very happy with StationList, but I have had problems getting the software to communicate with my Perseus.

      I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. The StationList version I have installed is v.2.1.2.8. The com0com is configured for Com10/Com11 and looks exactly like the illustration at the bottom of the StationList web page. My Perseus shows VCom On. No other applications are accessing com0com.

      StationList itself seems to have installed correctly. In this version Query Perseus seems to have been replaced by Control Perseus. In any case it is grayed out and is unavailable. I have turned on the Perseus before activating StationList which seems unable to communicate with Perseus in any way.

      Have I forgotten something? Where is the problem? Does anyone have any ideas? (Jürgen, bitte!)

      Thanks in advance,

      Gil

    • Jurgen Bartels
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
        Hi Gil,

        > StationList itself seems to have installed correctly. In this version Query
        > Perseus seems to have been replaced by Control Perseus. In any case it is
        > grayed out and is unavailable. I have turned on the Perseus before activating
        > StationList which seems unable to communicate with Perseus in any way.
        >
        > Have I forgotten something? Where is the problem? Does anyone have any ideas?
        > (Jürgen, bitte!)

        The menu item "Control Perseus" should become black when Perseus is running and
        visible. SL looks for the window with that name, and I never heard that this
        fails. It is a safety measure to avoid connecting to Perseus when it is not
        running, otherwise longer lock-ups would occur.

        Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
        Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
        MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
        http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm
      • gtorbeck
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013

          Thanks. Somehow the fact that this is a first time occurrence, does not really give me a warm and fuzzy feeling... I have thought of deleting SL and re-installing it. There doesn't seem to be an uninstaller; do I just delete the folder? Are there no Registry items to worry about?

          Gil

          Hi Gil,

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 17, 2013
            > Thanks. Somehow the fact that this is a first time occurrence, does not really
            > give me a warm and fuzzy feeling... I have thought of deleting SL and
            > re-installing it. There doesn't seem to be an uninstaller; do I just delete
            > the folder? Are there no Registry items to worry about?

            No.
            And no need to delete / re-copy SL. (There is no installer)
            Has it worked before? You suggested that.

            Even without com0com installed you should see the menu item black as soon as
            Perseus.exe is running

            What Windows are you using?

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 17, 2013

              I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

              If my memory is right, I have not had SL working on this computer.

              I deleted SL and re-installed it to no avail.

              It appears that I will be unable to make use of SL after all.

              Perseus continues to be grayed out.

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 17, 2013
                > I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
                > If my memory is right, I have not had SL working on this computer.
                > I deleted SL and re-installed it to no avail.
                > It appears that I will be unable to make use of SL after all.
                > Perseus continues to be grayed out.

                Strange, others use the same configuration without problems.
                Perhaps some rights set to strictly?
                As said I never heard about this before.

                Use this program and move the cursor over perseus window.
                What is shown in the 2nd line?

                http://dx.3sdesign.de/AH-WinSpy.zip

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 17, 2013

                  Jurgen, I am not sure I understand your question properly. Do I have to have SL open too, or just Perseus?

                  This is what I see in WinSpy on the second line:

                  ahk_class TaskListThumbnailWnd

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 18, 2013
                    > Jurgen, I am not sure I understand your question properly. Do I have to have
                    > SL open too, or just Perseus?

                    It doesn't matter in this case.

                    > This is what I see in WinSpy on the second line:
                    >

                    > ahk_class TaskListThumbnailWnd

                    Ok, but I need the line above that.
                    Are you sure you placed the cursor over Perseus' window?

                    The "ahk_class" line should be something like this:
                    ahk_class Afx:00.....

                    For a test move it to other windows and see what is shown there

                    Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
                    Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
                    MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
                    http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm
                  • Mauno Ritola
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 18, 2013
                      Is the pair on virtual ports in com0com set the same way in softwares:
                      No. 10 in Perseus->Software Settings->Virtual Com Port
                      No. 11 in SL->Settings->COM Port talking to Perseus ?

                      Mauno

                      18.11.2013 10:35, Jurgen Bartels kirjoitti:

                      > Jurgen, I am not sure I understand your question properly. Do I have to have
                      > SL open too, or just Perseus?

                      It doesn't matter in this case.

                      > This is what I see in WinSpy on the second line:
                      >

                      > ahk_class TaskListThumbnailWnd

                      Ok, but I need the line above that.
                      Are you sure you placed the cursor over Perseus' window?

                      The "ahk_class" line should be something like this:
                      ahk_class Afx:00.....

                      For a test move it to other windows and see what is shown there

                      Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
                      Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
                      MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
                      http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm

                    • Mark Durenberger
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 18, 2013
                        I’m forwarding these comments from my friend Mike who spent a fruitless afternoon trying to get the Perseus SDR working on a new laptop.  If this is happening to you, perhaps you might ‘go thou and do likewise.’

                        Regards,

                        Mark Durenberger
                        ==================

                        Found this info online.   Sounds like it could be relevant to the problem when I could not get my new Dell ASUS to launch Perseus.

                        Intel has changed the design on their latest Z87 chipset -- for their newest Haswell CPU -- which a lot of newer computers will be running. The new design places a single controller in charge of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports. This confuses the Perseus software.

                        My Asus motherboard allowed me to disable the newer xHCI controller under its USB configuration menu in its BIOS.  If you're having issues with your Perseus when launching the Perseus.exe or HFSPAN.exe applications, look for this setting in your BIOS.

                        I have heard of some users having to plug their Perseus into a USB 2.0 port. This is not likely due to the Perseus software -- rather how the computer hardware was designed

                        Mike

                      • Anthony R Gargano
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 18, 2013
                          Anyone running their Perseus with a tablet PC? Know if the Perseus will work with Atom processor? I was looking at the Asus T100TA. It's powered by a 1.33GHz Atom Z3740 processor, comes with 2 gig of ram and Win 8.1 for only $349.
                          Thanks

                          On Nov 18, 2013, at 7:24 AM, Mark Durenberger <Mark4@...> wrote:

[...]

                        • boris_the_big_spider
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 18, 2013
                            Hi Mark,

                            This is really interesting.

                            I have a desktop PC with an Asus Z87-G43 motherboard, which has problems
                            running Perseus. I would like to try disabling the xHCI controller, but
                            I've not been able to work out how to do that in the BIOS. It would be
                            very helpful if your friend could say which Asus motherboard he was using,
                            and where in the various BIOS options, he had to go to turn the xHCI
                            option off.

                            Many thanks

                            Denis MW0CBC / GW8OQV

                            > I’m forwarding these comments from my friend Mike who spent a fruitless
                            > afternoon trying to get the Perseus SDR working on a new laptop. If this
                            > is happening to you, perhaps you might ‘go thou and do likewise.’
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Mark Durenberger
                            > ==================
                            > Found this info online. Sounds like it could be relevant to the problem
                            > when I could not get my new Dell ASUS to launch Perseus.
                            >
                            > Intel has changed the design on their latest Z87 chipset -- for their
                            > newest Haswell CPU -- which a lot of newer computers will be running. The
                            > new design places a single controller in charge of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
                            > ports. This confuses the Perseus software.
                            >
                            > My Asus motherboard allowed me to disable the newer xHCI controller under
                            > its USB configuration menu in its BIOS. If you're having issues with your
                            > Perseus when launching the Perseus.exe or HFSPAN.exe applications, look
                            > for this setting in your BIOS.
                            >
                            > I have heard of some users having to plug their Perseus into a USB 2.0
                            > port. This is not likely due to the Perseus software -- rather how the
                            > computer hardware was designed
                            >
                            > Mike

                          • boris_the_big_spider
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 18, 2013
                              Hi Mark,

                              This is really interesting.

                              I have a desktop PC with an Asus Z87-G43 motherboard, which has problems
                              running Perseus. I would like to try disabling the xHCI controller, but
                              I've not been able to work out how to do that in the BIOS. It would be
                              very helpful if your friend could say which Asus motherboard he was using,
                              and where in the various BIOS options, he had to go to turn the xHCI
                              option off.

                              Many thanks

                              Denis MW0CBC / GW8OQV

                              > I’m forwarding these comments from my friend Mike who spent a fruitless
                              > afternoon trying to get the Perseus SDR working on a new laptop. If this
                              > is happening to you, perhaps you might ‘go thou and do likewise.’
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              >
                              > Mark Durenberger
                              > ==================
                              > Found this info online. Sounds like it could be relevant to the problem
                              > when I could not get my new Dell ASUS to launch Perseus.
                              >
                              > Intel has changed the design on their latest Z87 chipset -- for their
                              > newest Haswell CPU -- which a lot of newer computers will be running. The
                              > new design places a single controller in charge of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
                              > ports. This confuses the Perseus software.
                              >
                              > My Asus motherboard allowed me to disable the newer xHCI controller under
                              > its USB configuration menu in its BIOS. If you're having issues with your
                              > Perseus when launching the Perseus.exe or HFSPAN.exe applications, look
                              > for this setting in your BIOS.
                              >
                              > I have heard of some users having to plug their Perseus into a USB 2.0
                              > port. This is not likely due to the Perseus software -- rather how the
                              > computer hardware was designed
                              >
                              > Mike

                            • gtorbeck
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 18, 2013

                                Now I have:

                                Perseus #1

                                ahk_class Afx:00400000:2028:00010003:019

                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 18, 2013

                                  Also

                                  JB's Station List

                                  ahk_class TjbStationlist