Excalibur Time/Date stamping

  • Truxton Spangler
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 12 4:26 AM

      There have been a number of references made about the lack of time/date stamping on the Winradio G31DDC Excalibur
      It  is correct to say that the G31 Excalibur using the G31 software does't offer time stamped recordings or a recording scheduler.

      However over two years ago now, an enterprising Italian wrote a small dll file to be inserted into the G33DDC software,
      which makes the G33 software recognise a G31 receiver as a G33 and allows the G33 software to run with the G31 hardware.
      I have a G31DDC Excalibur which runs on the G33 software using this dll file and it gives me time/date stamped recordings,
      a recording scheduler and some other minor functions.
      It would seem that the existence of this dll file is not common knowledge for obvious reasons, so least said the better.

      Regards

      Truxton

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 14 12:06 AM

        Thanks for the info.

        I get a sense that there is not a big "following" for Excalibur, compared to Perseus, but it may be due to the fact I own a Perseus and not an Excalibur.

        Any comments from people that have both, or experience with both?

        Tnx

        Jim

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 14 1:33 AM

          Personally I only have a Perseus which I have used since 2009 and I am very pleased with it. When it comes to having and using both there is another DX-er in Norway who actually does that. Besides he is also probably the northernmost DX-er in the world. He has a blog called Artic DX which is at:

          Here you may find several articles dealing with the Excalibur and comparing it to the Perseus. As far as my own use of the Perseus is concerned I still run it using the original software and from a rugged old tabletop PC running Windows XP. That is what I will continue to use until a hot place freezes over. I bought the Perseus to listen to radio, not to fiddle with computers.

          Regards
          Jarle Synnevåg
          Norway

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 14 1:28 PM

              The reason the Perseus is the dominating SDR, at least for MW DX-ing, is that it was the first to offer full MW sampling, hence it became the receiver of choice for many of us. I have a G33DDC, and although it's "better" on paper, it's next to impossible to hear any difference. It's all in the software. Perseus offers good audio quality, although some of the GUI is imperfect. But there's lots of third-party software available. Winradio chose a software path which is inefficient for the MW DX-er who wants to check a large (literally hundreds) number of files

              It should be said though, that the G33DDC has had no issues related to driver installation, and is rock stable. I have been heard in software issues too.

              In my opinion, and this is a general, across platform observation, software developers have been more focused on layout and less focused on efficiency. Efficiency regarding recording, monitoring and playing back huge amounts of DX.

              Regards,

              Bjarne Mjelde

              arcticdx.blogspot.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14 1:33 PM
                I vividly second Bjarnes statement on the efficiency
                issue. Do the developers ever USE their piece of art?
                I doubt it.

                Kind regards

                Göran Norstedt
                SM7IYM at JO65mq
                Lomma, SWE

                +4640412213
                +46709374909

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 14 1:41 PM

                  Usually we just don’t get time J , also there’s the psychology involved in testing your own software.

                  Simon Brown (G4ELI/HB9DRV)
                  http://v2.sdr-radio.com

                  From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Göran Norstedt

                  I vividly second Bjarnes statement on the efficiency

                  issue. Do the developers ever USE their piece of art?

                  I doubt it.

                • Max MUCCI, I8NHJ/N5NHJ
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 14 2:08 PM
                    BOBCAT UPDATE Hello Group,
                    Does anybody know if a new version of the BOBXXX suite in compliance with the
                    latest version of the Perseus software is going to be released?
                    Thank you

                    ----------------------
                    73 de Max, N5NHJ/I8NHJ
                    one  of EL2PP, 1A0KM, JT1Y, E30GA, T77V, TT8MM, T32R, K5K, XR0X, S05X,
                    4O3T, BS7H, K4M, PJ7E, PJ7DX, 6Y1V and...
                  • cloudscan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 15 6:39 AM

                      I have both the Perseus and Winradio G33DDC SDRs and use both regularly.

                      I entirely agree with Bjarne that the important differences are not in performance, but in usability. Most high-end SDRs are so good that you should not choose between them on the basis of specifications, but on their ease of use. Some of the cheaper SDRs may have inferior dynamic range or other limitations, but at the upper end of the market - which certainly includes both Perseus and Excalibur Pro - the significant differences are all about the interface. And that’s a very subjective thing. For example, I disagree with Bjarne’s comment that Winradio’s approach is less efficient for MW DXers. Personally, I find it more efficient when dealing with overnight MW recordings. Of course, the Winradio software for their G31DDC Excalibur receiver is very poor in this respect because of the lack of timestamping, Perseus is vastly better, but the Excalibur Pro software is the one that I find most efficient for MW DX (not necessarily for other uses). Others will have different views, or may reach the same conclusion based on entirely different criteria. It’s a personal preference.

                      When trying to decide which SDR to buy, I would suggest that you start with budget and find the best ones that you can afford. Next download all the software that you can find, both from the SDR manufacturers and 3rd party sources, and try them out in demo mode (most now provide a demo mode that lets you experience the software without actually being able to receive your own signals). If you intend to make use of the SDR’s spectrum recording facilities, pay particular attention to usability there because it’s the one area where they differ quite fundamentally and also the one where individual users’ needs vary the most.

                      Having compared Perseus with Excalibur Pro on the same signals, I am convinced that anything you can hear one, you can hear on the other. Where there are audible differences these are minor and probably due to differences in the way that, for example, AGC operates or the implementation of the digital filters or the characteristics of the audio output stages. Sometimes one receiver will be marginally better, sometimes the other, but it’s impossible to say that one or other is consistently better. So, it all comes down to which software you find more comfortable to use. Of course, value is a factor too and Perseus is much more affordable than Excalibur Pro.

                      Regards,

                      Jack

                      ---In perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com, <i8nhj@...> wrote:

                      BOBCAT UPDATE Hello Group,
                      Does anybody know if a new version of the BOBXXX suite in compliance with the
                      latest version of the Perseus software is going to be released?
                      Thank you

                      73 de Max, N5NHJ/I8NHJ
                      one  of EL2PP, 1A0KM, JT1Y, E30GA, T77V, TT8MM, T32R, K5K, XR0X, S05X,
                      4O3T, BS7H, K4M, PJ7E, PJ7DX, 6Y1V and...
                    • daiche