Re: Perseus Purchase

  • Eric Gauja
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 10, 2013
      Steve,
                  Re your comments about SDR developers incorporating buyer suggestions:   I think it is basically a commercial decision for a company like Winradio  (I reside in Australia where they are based, and have purchased some of their other products, but not Excalibur).  A major part of their business is selling their high end products to government and commercial customers. My impression is that their consumer products are lower specification/ performance versions of their high end developed products, and they are more likely to incorporate customer suggestions into their custom made high end products. What one person feels is an obvious improvement suggestion may not be the case for others, and this has to be taken into account by SDR developers, most of whom are in business to make a profit. From my experience, Winradio ships products quickly, answers emails quickly, and is a good company to  buy from.  I personally have not yet bought the Excalibur because I feel that for my general SWLing and DXing the Perseus is all that I need, and I like its interface and feel.
                  For Perseus itself,  I am a bit disappointed regarding the slowness of Microtelecom to respond to issues raised in this group, but regarding the Windows USB3 port compatibility problem in particular, even Winradio has said in response to my email enquiry that at the moment, its products are not compatible with USB3 ports.  From my understanding of this group’s message archives, the original Perseus developer has moved on from his involvement with Perseus, so it could be understandable that the earlier enthusiasm for supporting the product has slowed.  Maybe it is like asking an artist to improve on or produce another masterpiece on demand?

      Regards,
                      Eric.
    • Leif Asbrink
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 10, 2013
        Hi Steve, Eric and all,

        USB 3 (=Useless Serial Bus) is still unstable. As a software developer
        one has to use drive routines supplied by hardware manufacturers. Those
        are stiil not very good:-) I am the author of Linrad which worked well
        with the perseus hardware when Perseus was new. Then there was a change
        on the USB system that required WinUSB. That is many years ago but people
        using Win98 still have to use the old USB system.

        I have bought a PCI card that gives me USB 3. When installed with
        the accompanying CD, I can not run Perseus from Linrad. However, when
        I installed the latest driver from the chip manufacturer I could run
        Linrad under Windows XP but not under Windows 7. Some day the
        drivers will probably be corrected, but until then the USB3
        backwards compatibility with USB2 is problematic. Do not expect it
        to be OK - and do not blame Microtelecom for that!!

        It is the responsibility of drive routines to make modern hardware
        perfectly compatible to old standards.

        73

        Leif / SM5BSZ

        > Steve,
        > Re your comments about SDR developers incorporating buyer suggestions: I think it is basically a commercial decision for a company like Winradio (I reside in Australia where they are based, and have purchased some of their other products, but not Excalibur). A major part of their business is selling their high end products to government and commercial customers. My impression is that their consumer products are lower specification/ performance versions of their high end developed products, and they are more likely to incorporate customer suggestions into their custom made high end products. What one person feels is an obvious improvement suggestion may not be the case for others, and this has to be taken into account by SDR developers, most of whom are in business to make a profit. From my experience, Winradio ships products quickly, answers emails quickly, and is a good company to buy from. I personally have not yet bought the Excalibur because I feel tha
        t for my general SWLing and DXing the Perseus is all that I need, and I like its interface and feel.
        > For Perseus itself, I am a bit disappointed regarding the slowness of Microtelecom to respond to issues raised in this group, but regarding the Windows USB3 port compatibility problem in particular, even Winradio has said in response to my email enquiry that at the moment, its products are not compatible with USB3 ports. From my understanding of this group’s message archives, the original Perseus developer has moved on from his involvement with Perseus, so it could be understandable that the earlier enthusiasm for supporting the product has slowed. Maybe it is like asking an artist to improve on or produce another masterpiece on demand?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Eric.
      • Keith
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 10, 2013
          IT seemed that newer computers that came out about a year ago had more
          USB 3 ports than USB 2. Now that situation seems to be reversed.

          Keith McGinnis
          Hingham MA

          On 11/10/2013 8:05 PM, Leif Asbrink wrote:
          > Hi Steve, Eric and all,
          >
          > USB 3 (=Useless Serial Bus) is still unstable. As a software developer
          > one has to use drive routines supplied by hardware manufacturers. Those
          > are stiil not very good:-) I am the author of Linrad which worked well
          > with the perseus hardware when Perseus was new. Then there was a change
          > on the USB system that required WinUSB. That is many years ago but people
          > using Win98 still have to use the old USB system.
          >
          > I have bought a PCI card that gives me USB 3. When installed with
          > the accompanying CD, I can not run Perseus from Linrad. However, when
          > I installed the latest driver from the chip manufacturer I could run
          > Linrad under Windows XP but not under Windows 7. Some day the
          > drivers will probably be corrected, but until then the USB3
          > backwards compatibility with USB2 is problematic. Do not expect it
          > to be OK - and do not blame Microtelecom for that!!
          >
          > It is the responsibility of drive routines to make modern hardware
          > perfectly compatible to old standards.
          >
          > 73
          >
          > Leif / SM5BSZ
          >

          >> Steve,
          >> Re your comments about SDR developers incorporating buyer suggestions: I think it is basically a commercial decision for a company like Winradio (I reside in Australia where they are based, and have purchased some of their other products, but not Excalibur). A major part of their business is selling their high end products to government and commercial customers. My impression is that their consumer products are lower specification/ performance versions of their high end developed products, and they are more likely to incorporate customer suggestions into their custom made high end products. What one person feels is an obvious improvement suggestion may not be the case for others, and this has to be taken into account by SDR developers, most of whom are in business to make a profit. From my experience, Winradio ships products quickly, answers emails quickly, and is a good company to buy from. I personally have not yet bought the Excalibur because I feel tha
          > t for my general SWLing and DXing the Perseus is all that I need, and I like its interface and feel.
          >> For Perseus itself, I am a bit disappointed regarding the slowness of Microtelecom to respond to issues raised in this group, but regarding the Windows USB3 port compatibility problem in particular, even Winradio has said in response to my email enquiry that at the moment, its products are not compatible with USB3 ports. From my understanding of this group’s message archives, the original Perseus developer has moved on from his involvement with Perseus, so it could be understandable that the earlier enthusiasm for supporting the product has slowed. Maybe it is like asking an artist to improve on or produce another masterpiece on demand?
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >> Eric.

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 10, 2013
            Thanks for your insight Eric. As you probably guessed, my comments were in
            regard to the Microtelecom - end user relationship, which does not exactly
            instill confidence in purchasing something new from them. It's good to know
            that Winradio is more attentive to customer concerns.

            Steve

            WEB - "The VE7SL Radio Notebook": http://members.shaw.ca/ve7sl
          • Simon Brown
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013

              Steve,

              You be rest assured that at the very least myself, Sandro (Studio 1) and Leif (LINRAD) will never drop support for Perseus. IMO as time goes on you’ll see less software written by hardware manufacturers, instead they’ll provide simple API examples which are then used by developers of SDR software. Apache Labs provides no software at all for the ANA series of transceivers.

              As for commercial vs. hobby – the hobby market for hardware is becoming very cutthroat whereas the commercial market is much more than selling hardware and software – there’s a lot of expertise sold as well which is where the profit can be made.

              Don’t give up on Perseus.

              Simon Brown (G4ELI/HB9DRV)
              http://v2.sdr-radio.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013
                On 11/11/2013 12:05 AM, Eric Gauja wrote:

                Maybe it is like asking an artist to improve on or produce another masterpiece on demand?

                More or less...  when a painter is producing a new masterpiece, he becomes a little less responsive
                to requests for retouches to a previous painting of his...

                --
                73 Alberto I2PHD
              • Andrea Dalbagno
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013
                  Hello Alberto

                  Someone could understand some GOOD news, from your words ... Sorriso

                  73
                  Andrea
                  SWL 1360-TN

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013
                    On 11/11/2013 5:55 PM, Andrea Dalbagno wrote:

                    Hello Alberto

                    Someone could understand some GOOD news, from your words ... Sorriso

                    I didn't say anything factual...  mine was just a speculation...  :-)

                    --
                    73 Alberto I2PHD
                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013
                      Thanks Simon. At present I feel as if there are two little red devils
                      sitting on my shoulders...one shouting 'Perseus' and the other shouting
                      'Excalibur' :-(

                      Steve / 73

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013
                          Hello Steve,

                          If using the spectrum recording is one of your priorities I would go for the Perseus. If As far as I know the Excalibur doesn't store time and date in its files. So that's back to paperwork. The Excalibur pro is doing that but is much more expensive.

                          I don't own Excaliburs so please can somebody correct me if I am wrong.

                          73,

                          Guido.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013
                            According to the guy sitting on my left side
                            running his Excalibur right now, that is correct.
                            The aussies have had it on their list for ages,
                            " .... but it not prioritized"

                            73
                            Göran Norstedt
                            SM7IYM at JO65mq
                            Lomma, SWE

                            +4640412213
                            +46709374909

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013

                              Did you ask the Excalibur group and what was their response?

                              "Someone has to say your child is ugly" and you may not find it on the Perseus group.

                              I went with Perseus after all the researching I did on both the SDR's.

                              Jim

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013
                                >Did you ask the Excalibur group and what was their response?

                                it is difficult to get an unbiased opinion from either group, totally normal
                                of course...but I have learned a LOT over the past few days from both
                                groups. Leaning very heavily towards Perseus still.

                                >"Someone has to say your child is ugly" and you may not find it on the
                                >Perseus group.

                                haven't found anyone totally trashing the other in either group as both are
                                amazingly good radios it seems. It all comes down to the ergonomics and GUI
                                from what I can tell. Some features that one system lacks, the other
                                provides and vice-versa.

                                >I went with Perseus after all the researching I did on both the SDR's.

                                Tnx Jim

                                >Thanks Simon. At present I feel as if there are two little red devils
                                >sitting on my shoulders...one shouting 'Perseus' and the other shouting
                                >'Excalibur' :-(

                                WEB - "The VE7SL Radio Notebook": http://members.shaw.ca/ve7sl
                              • neilkaz
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013
                                  That right there would eliminate the Excalibur from consideration for me. ROFL at not storing date and time for recorded files.

                                  73 KAZ

                                  >According to the guy sitting on my left side
                                  >running his Excalibur right now, that is correct.
                                  >The aussies have had it on their list for ages,
                                  >" .... but it not prioritized"
                                  >
                                  >73
                                  >Göran Norstedt
                                  >SM7IYM at JO65mq
                                  >Lomma, SWE
                                  >
                                  >+4640412213
                                  >+46709374909
                                  >
                                  >> 11 nov 2013 kl. 21:00 skrev "Guido Schotmans" <guidoschotmans@...>:
                                  >>
                                  >> Hello Steve,
                                  >>
                                  >> If using the spectrum recording is one of your priorities I would go for the Perseus. If As far as I know the Excalibur doesn't store time and date in its files. So that's back to paperwork. The Excalibur pro is doing that but is much more expensive.
                                  >>
                                  >> I don't own Excaliburs so please can somebody correct me if I am wrong.
                                  >>
                                  >> 73,
                                  >>
                                  >> Guido.

                                • Jim
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013

                                    Apache said they plan on staffing with software developers as they do not want to let the sales of the hardware to depend on "developers".

                                    I think they need to do this if the hardware is ever going to go mainstream for those that do not want to experiment, but rather get results.

                                    Some like to experiment and others like to operate an "appliance".

                                    Both experimenters and appliance operators are needed to drive top line sales.

                                    Companies like Elecraft, Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, and others see a larger market in the "appliance" market.

                                    Jim