Perseus, CW Skimmer and Windows 7

  • Denis
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 17, 2013
      Hi Folks,

      Being a bit of a dinosaur, I have only just moved to a Windows 7 PC. I suddenly find myself with a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Service Pack 1 desktop.

      I have been happily running Perseus with CW Skimmer on an XP machine for a few years. Today, I downloaded the latest version of the Perseus USB drivers and followed the installation process for those. I then downloaded the latest version of the Perseus software amd try to run it. When I try to launch the Perseus software, I get "Firmware download internal error #004"..but not every time. Every time I've closed the Perseus software down, I've had to try re-launching it anywhere between 1 and 9 times before it will run without the error. When it does eventually launch, however, it seems to work OK.

      When I come to run it with CW Skimmer (latest version, downloaded today), and configure Skimmer to "Perseus" I sometimes get Failed to download Perseus firmware FX2 firmware file not found" If I do get it to run, I see nothing on the waterfall display and get no audio either.

      Not sure what I can try now. Suggestions most welcome. I've been fiddling with it for a couple of hours now and the frustration is starting to kick in.

      Thanks

      Denis MW0CBC / GW8OQV
    • Lasse Moell
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 17, 2013
        Denis,
        have you upgraded the mobo too?? Maybe got the newish USB3 ports??
        If so, try to find an USB2 port (USB2 hub on mobo) this should help.... IF this is what causes your troubble.

        /Lasse SM5GLC

[...]

      • Denis Jackson
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 17, 2013

          Hi Lasse,

          Thank you very much for the suggestion.  I have checked and the Perseus is connected to a USB 2.0 port.  The new MOBO does have USB3 but I am not using those.

          Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

          73 from Wales

          Denis MW0CBC / GW8OQV

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 17, 2013
            I would do a search here in the group fot usb3 and win7. I recall someone
            had similar problems. Cheers Lasse
          • boris_the_big_spider
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
              Well, I've had no further responses to this question. I've now tried to make Perseus work with Skimmer on two laptops and one desktop PC running Windows 7 64 bit and none will work.Alex of Skimmer fame says its a Perseus problem. Given how flakey Perseus seems to be with its own software on Win 7 I suspect he may be right. Anyhow, I've had no replies on here which have helped and as this group appears to be the only source of support, I guess it's game over.I'll not deny its a great receiver....when I works. There are enough comments on here and elsewhere on the web to suggest that ithere are real problems and it is not robust across current OS options, despite what the manufacturer may say.I've no other option now than to install XP on another PC or get rid of the Perseus and buy something more robust and with better support.No doubt I'll get flamed for posting this but the hard facts are it doesn't work here, there's not even an email address on the manufacturer's web site and I've wasted more than enough time flogging what is apparently a dead horse.73 and thanks to those who did try to help.Denis MW0CBC / GW8OQV
            • gert_nilsson2002
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013

                You can find their email address on Microtelecom.it home page!

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013

                  Yes, I see you are correct.  Thank you for correcting me.   Stupidly, I expected to find a support contact for the product on the pages for the product itself, rather than the home page.

                  Thank you for correcting me.   Now, if you can just correct my Perseus / Win 7 problems too, I would be most grateful.

                  73

                  Denis MW0CBC / GW8OQV

                  ---In perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com, <gertdx@...> wrote:

[...]

                • Roelof Bakker
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
                    Hello Dennis,

                    I must have missed your question.
                    There is a big contest station in the US that uses 5 PERSEUS receivers and
                    CW Skimmer.
                    So it certainly can be done.

                    Have you tried Windows 7, 32 bit?
                    My PERSEUS runs flawlessly on it.

                    I have a second one that runs as a server on a Lenovo S10 Netbook under
                    Windows 7 starter, which is also 32 bit.

                    Once you have it up and running, the software is quite robust.
                    You also might consider using SDR Radio Console V2, which also works
                    excellent with the PERSEUS.

                    Best regards,
                    Roelof bakker, pa0rdt
                  • Roelof Bakker
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
                      Hello Dennis,

                      One more question, at what stage are you in installing the software?

                      Best regards,
                      Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt
                    • Werner Karn

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013

                          Hi Folks...

                          Werner, I'm pleased your Perseus is running correctly.  Judging by all the comments I have found this morning on this and other reflectors, I think you are fortunate not to have had problems as many of us have.

                          Roelof, I followed the instructions that came with the download of the latest USB driver from the Microtelecom web site.  I plugged in the receiver, installed the drivers, then installed the latest version of the driver software.

                          As it is now, the Perseus software will run ( and then work fine) maybe 50% of the time.  Other times, I get either "Firmware Download Internal Error" message.

                          HFSpan will never run.  I continuously get "Perseus Fx2 Firmware not found"

                          In trying to get CW Skimmer working, I copied the relevant files into the Skimmer directory.  Skimmer runs fine but does not detect any input from the Perseus.  It seems to be communicating with it because, when I click the button to start it running, I get a relay click from the Perseus box.  Similarly, when I   make changes to the attenuator setting, the relays in the Perseus box can be heard clicking.

                          I have replaced the USB cable to the Perseus with a known good cable that was running another device.

                          I have tried EVERY USB port on my desktop PC.  I have eight of them.  There seems to be no difference in the results between any port - be they USB 2 or USB 3.

                          I am very, very close to giving up and selling it.    I love it as a receiver and it has served me well but, in my opinion, it is unstable and support from the manufacturer is non-existent.  So many people have had problems, either identical or, if not so then very similar to mine and yet there is hardly any commentary from Microtelecom on the matter.  This forum is their support channel, and they are remarkably silent.  I only really every used with CW Skimmer that is my application and, something that was working reasonably well in XP now doesn't work at all.

                          I am not someone who spends their time on the internet berating products, suppliers and their support.  I very rarely comment on such matters but, in this case, I can only speak of my experience.  It's not good.  Whether this product works for an individual seems to be down to luck.  I am happy to be proven wrong but it's not going to be in my shack for very much longer unless I can find a solution.

                          73 and thanks

                          Denis MW0CBC / GW8OQV

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
                            Denis,
                            I have an ASUS mobo with both USB2 and USB3 ports. Win 7-64 Pro.

                            Perseus and HF-span runs perfect. Just plugged it in and it starts each and every time I try. Even cycled power, restart. No problems. Now if I use an USB3-port, software starts but I get full s-meter readings, I can change frequency and attenuation but no audio. Sounds like what you are seeing!
                            So my take is that even if you do use an USB2 port it may be on a dual-hub using both 2 and 3 which has been reported as troubble!

                            My hardware list my USB as Generic usb hub.

                            If you fail finding a clean USB2 hub/port, I would try as a last resort to find a PCI-hub with USB2-ports only!

                            /Lasse SM5GLC,

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013

                              Hi Lasse,

                              Thanks for the reply.  I am using an MSI G43 motherboard which I am told is a “real” USB 2.0 hub….but I am not a PC engineer so who knows.  I’ve tried all eight ports I have on the machine.  As I said, about 50% of the time, it does work with the Perseus radio software.  Everything is OK – audio, S-meter and everything else which perhaps suggests something else?

                              73

                              Denis MW0CBC / GW8OQV

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
                                Hello Dennis,

                                When HF-Span does not start, there is something wrong.

                                Have you tried to delete the registry entry of the PERSEUS?

                                Start regedit and follow this path:

                                HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Microtelecom s.r.l. / perseus

                                Delete the folder V4.0c or whichever version you are using.

                                Then start HF-span and see what happens.

                                Best regards,
                                Roelof Bakker
                              • Denis Jackson
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
                                  Hi Roelof,

                                  The version was 4.1a. I deleted as you suggested and tried starting HFSpan.
                                  I'm afraid I still get the message "Perseus Fx2 Firmware not found".

                                  Interestingly, if I then try running the Perseus radio software, having
                                  deleted the registry entry, it runs intermittently, as it did before I
                                  deleted the registry entry. The only difference is I now get a message
                                  about "Perseus Software Optional Features", I guess that's because it's
                                  something in the registry that blocks this being shown? Running the Perseus
                                  radio software does of course re-instate all the registry entries.

                                  Thank you for trying to help

                                  Best wishes

                                  Denis

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
                                    The reason for seeing the optional software is you can choose not to show this option at start-up. Deleting register entry will clean this selection, and you have to mark the checkbox again.

                                    As for your problems.. We are several that do report Win7-64 do work with Perseus, the issue seems to be with your specific computer hardware!

                                    Please if you can find a USB2 add-on card (PCI) to try, these cost £10 or so...
                                    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/controllercards/usb/m316.html

                                    If you do not want to modify your computer, I guess I cannot come up with any other ideas :(

                                    /Lasse SM5GLC

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
                                      I've had no problems running the Perseus on two computers running Win7-64.

                                      I would think that a complete deletion of the Perseus from the computer
                                      (including all registry files) and the reinstalling only using the USB 2
                                      ports would do the trick but if it doesn't then I agree with Lasse that
                                      their is a specific issue with your computer hardware.

                                      Keith
                                      Hingham MA

                                    • Ron Castro
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013

                                        Denis:

                                        I’m one of the few who managed to get the Perseus running on both Windows 7/64 and Windows 8/64, but not without some tweaking on the W8/64 laptop.  I also run Skimmer on the Win7 box.  The problem I ran into on Win8 was USB3, which IMHO is just ‘not ready for prime time’.  I was able to ‘fool’ the Perseus by running its USB connection through a USB2 hub, but a better solution was to make a change in the UEFI (they used to call that BIOS) startup settings. Here was the advice I got from Ken, N0QO, which worked for me:

                                        When you get to the USB configuration in the Bios change XHCI Pre-Boot Mode from Auto to Disabled.  Save the change and exit the bios utility.

                                        This was all I did to get the Perseus up and going with 4.0C on USB 3.0.

                                        Be advised, all USB ports will be USB2, but since there is really not much out there that uses USB3, it’s no big loss.

                                                  Ron Castro

                                                   N6IE

                                            www.N6IE.com

                                        Member:

                                                              ARRL

                                             Redwood Empire DX Assn.

                                        Northern California Contest Club

                                        Northern California DX Foundation

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
                                          Hi Ron,

                                          Thanks for this. I went into the BIOS on my desktop and couldn't see
                                          anything labled XHCI Pre-Boot mode but there was someting similar so I
                                          tried turnig that off. When I rebooted, my USB keyboard and mouse no
                                          longer work. I'm guessing all USB funtionality has been turned off.

                                          I don't have a wired keyboard or mouse here so I think I am completely
                                          screwed now I can't figure out how to get back into the BIOS without
                                          being able to press a key on the keyboard and that no longer functions.

                                          Suggestions welcome (I'm on my laptop now). If I can't get my desktop up
                                          and running in the next few hours I am double screwed. I run my busines
                                          on it.

                                          Thanks

                                          Demis

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
                                            Ouch... that is to cut off the branch you are sitting on :)

                                            Usually there is a jumper on the mother board that can reset all to default. Should bring USB back. Problem is to find the jumper! Or try get a wired k/b, borrow from a friend??

                                            /Lasse

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
                                              This might be of help to you:
                                              http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm

                                              /Lasse SM5GLC

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013
                                                Beware though... clearing CMOS should be your very last resort!!!!!!!
                                                Do try to find a wired PS2 keyboard to enter BIOS this will save you a lot of time setting all parameters!!!

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 29, 2013

                                                  I’m just about to go and see a mate who has one…I think that should be all I need to do…panicked for a moment though.

                                                  More later

                                                  D.

                                                  Ouch... that is to cut off the branch you are sitting on :)

                                                  Usually there is a jumper on the mother board that can reset all to default. Should bring USB back. Problem is to find the jumper! Or try get a wired k/b, borrow from a friend??

                                                  /Lasse

                                                  On 29 sep 2013 18:32 radio@... wrote:

                                                  Hi Ron,

                                                  Thanks for this. I went into the BIOS on my desktop and couldn't see
                                                  anything labled XHCI Pre-Boot mode but there was someting similar so I
                                                  tried turnig that off. When I rebooted, my USB keyboard and mouse no
                                                  longer work. I'm guessing all USB funtionality has been turned off.

                                                  I don't have a wired keyboard or mouse here so I think I am completely
                                                  screwed now I can't figure out how to get back into the BIOS without
                                                  being able to press a key on the keyboard and that no longer functions.

                                                  Suggestions welcome (I'm on my laptop now). If I can't get my desktop up
                                                  and running in the next few hours I am double screwed. I run my busines
                                                  on it.

                                                  Thanks

                                                  Demis

                                                  > Denis:
                                                  >

                                                  > I’m one of the few who managed to get the Perseus running on both Windows
                                                  > 7/64 and Windows 8/64, but not without some tweaking on the W8/64 laptop.
                                                  > I also run Skimmer on the Win7 box. The problem I ran into on Win8 was
                                                  > USB3, which IMHO is just ‘not ready for prime time’. I was able to ‘fool’
                                                  > the Perseus by running its USB connection through a USB2 hub, but a better
                                                  > solution was to make a change in the UEFI (they used to call that BIOS)
                                                  > startup settings. Here was the advice I got from Ken, N0QO, which worked
                                                  > for me:
                                                  >

                                                  > When you get to the USB configuration in the Bios change XHCI Pre-Boot
                                                  > Mode from Auto to Disabled. Save the change and exit the bios utility.
                                                  >
                                                  > This was all I did to get the Perseus up and going with 4.0C on USB 3.0.
                                                  >

                                                  > Be advised, all USB ports will be USB2, but since there is really not much
                                                  > out there that uses USB3, it’s no big loss.
                                                  >

                                                  > Ron Castro
                                                  >
                                                  > N6IE
                                                  >
                                                  > <http://www.n6ie.com/> www.N6IE.com
                                                  >

                                                  > Member: