Re: [perseus_SDR] Mestor Question

  • NJ3H
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 12, 2013
      Thanks Roelof for the information. I appreceiate it.
      Regards,
      George

      Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4GLTE

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014

        Good Saturday to all,

        Last night I set Mestor as follows between the dashed lines:

        ======================

        SET 6000/5

        09'25 (40)

        ======================

        Start at 0925 and record for 40 minutes.

        I ended up with files 8 minutes apart (as I would expect).  However, playback did not link these files together.  I was trying to copy the VOA radiogram.

        Normally, lengthy recordings add the 000, 001, 002, etc at the end of a file.

        Is there a Mestor command that will do this?

        I haven't tried yet, but will renaming all the files and adding the 000, 001, etc at the end of each on work?

        There must be a better way if one wants to record with a timer and playback without having to load each sequential file manually.

        Thanks for any help.

        Regards,

        George

      • simbeav
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014
          Sorry I can't help with mestor, but give stationlist by Jurgen a go. It offers so much more, but is by far the easiest way to record with perseus. No need to fiddle about with scripts etc and I 've never have a missed recording since I sorted out my windows installation.

          Simon
          Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone from Virgin Media

          From: "nj3h@... [perseus_SDR]" <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
          Sender: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
          Date: 05 Jul 2014 08:48:43 -0700
          To: <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [perseus_SDR] Mestor Question

[...]

        • Guido Schotmans |
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014
            And you can use Station List to play Mestor files continuously or jump from one file to another while staying on frequency.

            Other option is make a rename.cmd file by using
            dir > dir.txt and editing this one f.e. in Excel. Not really a one click thing but it works.

            73,

            Guido.

            From: "nj3h@... [perseus_SDR]" <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
            Sender: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
            Date: 05 Jul 2014 08:48:43 -0700
            To: <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
[...]

            Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
            Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
            Versie: 2014.0.4716 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7803 - datum van uitgifte: 07/05/14

          • George
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014
              Hi Simon and Guido,

              I manually added _000, _001, _002, etc. before the ".wav" in my 5 files that I want to play in order.  That did work.  However, for many files that would be a tedious thing to do.  Unfortunately, I do not understand the rename.cmd idea.  It is something I am unfamiliar with.

              I have never been able to get com0com to configure on my Win 8.1 computer.  I am sure I am doing something wrong, but it will just not work.

              At the StationList website, there is a screen capture that shows the config screen for com0com.  On the left it shows:

              - Virtual Port Pair 0
                 + COM10
                 + COM11

              I can never seem to duplicate that when trying to set up this program on my computer.  I can not show both COM10 and COM11 at the same time as shown on the screen capture.

              Obviously, I would love to get this to work, since using StationList would be a lot faster than spending my time renaming file after file.

              By the way, I did get VSPE to work, but there is a comment on the StationList website not to use VSPE for SL.
              Thanks for your willingness to help me.

              Regards,
              George

              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014

                Le 2014-07-05 15:35, George nj3h@... [perseus_SDR] a écrit :

                I have never been able to get com0com to configure on my Win 8.1 computer.  I am sure I am doing something wrong, but it will just not work.
                At the StationList website, there is a screen capture that shows the config screen for com0com.  On the left it shows:

                - Virtual Port Pair 0
                   + COM10
                   + COM11

                I can never seem to duplicate that when trying to set up this program on my computer.  I can not show both COM10 and COM11 at the same time as shown on the screen capture.

                Obviously, I would love to get this to work, since using StationList would be a lot faster than spending my time renaming file after file.

                Hello George,

                Each time I have to re-configure com0com (i.e. when replacing the computer), I like to refer to the following method:

                After installing com0com you have to change the names of the com-ports.
                To do this start „Setup Command Prompt“ and type :
                command> change CNCA0 PortName=COM10
                command> change CNCB0 PortName=COM11
                That’s all! Your Perseus can now work on com10 (your Perseus-Software
                use this port) and com11 (3rd party software).

                This is from the user guide of Wallauer's third party software, RecTimer http://www.frequency-control.de/ which I have used a couple of times in the past.

                The last time I've installed com0com on my Win7 machine, I had driver problems which have been resolved after finding this:

                http://pete.akeo.ie/2011/07/com0com-signed-drivers.html (just in case you need to go further)

                By the way, I did get VSPE to work, but there is a comment on the StationList website not to use VSPE for SL.
                Thanks for your willingness to help me.

                The last time I used VSPE, that was on my Vista machine and the virtual port was often disconnecting which was very annoying. On the other hand, com0com has always been rock-solid and this is so far, my obvious choice if you connect only one item to the virtual port (i.e. StationList).

                Sylvain Naud
                Portneuf, QC
                CAN
                www.quebecdx.com
                .

              • George
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014
                  Hi Sylvain,

                  Thanks for your email.  I am trying to get things to work now.

                  I did get com0com to install, even though there were some error messages along the way.  However, I did get a message that it was installed.  I can get to the com0com setup screen.

                  When I went to the command prompt and went to c:\> and typed command.........etc as you had, I get a message that says "Access is denied.".

                  Then I tried it again and I get the message that says: "'command' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

                  When at the command prompt, what subdirectory should I be in?  Does this make a difference?

                  So now I am stuck again.  I really would like to use Station List, but this is my second go around with com0com.

                  Regards,
                  George

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 6, 2014
                    George,

                    > When I went to the command prompt and went to c:\> and typed
                    > command.........etc as you had, I get a message that says
                    > "Access is denied.".
                    >
                    > Then I tried it again and I get the message that says:
                    > "'command' is not recognized as an internal or external
                    > command, operable program, or batch file."

                    You don't have to go to the Windows command prompt but to the Com0Com
                    command prompt !
                    You'll find it in Start, All Programs, Com0com, Setup Command prompt.

                    73,

                    Guido.
                  • nj3h
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 30
                      Does anyone know if Mestor has the capability to set the recording time for a specific sampling rate.  For example, I like to record the VOA RadioGram.  I set the SR for 250 kS/s and I have set the recording length in the Perseus set-up screen to 39 minutes.  So the entire RadioGram is contained in one file with no drop-outs that do occur where one file ends and the next one begins (since now it is just one file).  The recording time setting only applies to making a live recording -- not when using Mestor in a timed recording.

                      So it would be nice if there was a work-around that would allow longer record time per file and still use Mestor for timed recordings.

                      Regards,
                      George, NJ3H
                      Stephens City, Virginia USA