Re: [perseus_SDR] Perseus not recognized any more by computer.

  • Jurgen Bartels
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 9, 2013
      > Furthermore the mains supply (230V) for both the Perseus and the computer was
      > disconnected at that moment using an extension cable containing a double-pole
      > switch.

      You had a loop consisting of PC->USB->Perseus->PSU->PC-PSU->PC

      So a high voltage could have been induced it that created a spike current.
      Some of the USB parts could no handle that. Seems your PC-USB parts were more
      robust.
      I think additionally your 220V cable contributed to it, I understand it was
      still connected to the mains but only had an open switch. A high voltage peak
      jumps across the open switch

      Measure if the Perseus-PSU still supplying 5V.

      Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
      Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
      MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
      http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm
    • longdipole
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 10, 2013
        Hmm, yes maybe it/was is the USB connection between the Perseus and the PC together with both the PSU 230V mains connection for the PC and the Perseus who acted as some kind of loop antenne into which a voltage spike was induced.
        Although the 'caption area' of the 'loop' was very small, due to the fact that both PSU/230V connections were lying almost parallel and the USB cable was wound on a toroid with some 20cm left over to just connect the PC and the SDR.

        Another suspect is the ground connection which is not disconnected when the double pole switch in the 230V extension cable is switched off.
        This way also a voltage spike could have entered the PC and/or the Perseus. But then, where is the connection to more or less ground (voltage) level, causing the voltage spike to be harmfull.
        For as far as I can see no other connection to the outside world was present. Only the 2 meters of coax which was manually disconnected from the (fe)male plug on my antenna connection board. So both the inner conductor and the shield were disconnected.

        Any thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome.

        On the web I notices so calles USB isolators. Unfortunately only capable of USB 1.0 speed, where the Perseus seems to need USB 2.0 speed. Is this correct ?

        Excuses for my bad englisch because it't not my mother language.
      • Willi Passmann
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 10, 2013
          Arie,

          last year a flash of lightning hit the telephone line which ran down outside the wall of the house where I lived.
          Killed DSL modem, router, telephones, laptop, 2x Perseus, Excalibur Pro and other USB devices like hubs and HDs.
          But also devices not connected to the telephone line. Like a Hifi amplifier, by inductive coupling via the connected loudspeaker cables. The amp of an indoor Wellbrook antenna was also damaged.

          In the kitchen a kind of battery operated toy (not connected to any wire) began to play 'Happy Birthday' - a nice start in the day after the thunder woke me up at 5 am.

          What I want to point out: Even disconnecting devices from every cable does not mean 100% safety. Lines or wire running nearby can cause damage too.

          Some weeks later I attended a workshop about lightning protection, offered by an expert during an event of the Benelux DX Club.
          I learned that there is no 100% safety. Even multi stage protection systems, as used by radio stations, cannot guarantee this. You can only reduce risk (and this, of course, is  recommended).

          vy 73,
          Willi, DJ6JZ

          http://www.radio-portal.org/sdr.html
          SDR-Special
          http://www.mediafire.com/?2lve8wq6y1ou2
          Perseus Databases - Third Party Software Guide & more

          Am 09.09.2013 17:35, schrieb box73@...:
          For the second time in slightly over 1 year now, due to a lightning strike in a nearby tree (500m away), my Perseus SDR got damaged.
          All this without any antenna connected. Besides some 2 meters of coax.

          Whenplugging the Perseus through the USB into any computer, the Perseus is not recognized anymore. I presume the USB chip inside the Perseus got damaged and no hardware ID is returned to the computer any more. Although the power an both attenuator leds are still running and no outer damage is visible.

          Furthermorethe mains supply (230V) for both the Perseus and the computer was disconnected at that moment using an extension cable containing a double-pole switch.
          Allother equipment in my house survived the strike without any damage.

          Anybodyany suggestions how to avoid having to buy a third new Perseus in the (near) future due to nearby lightning. :-(

          Arie.

        • Mark Durenberger
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 10, 2013
            Wav Chopper is a wonderful utility...but it barfs when it sees the transition from 23:59:50 to 00:++:++.

            Is this group of keen minds aware of a work-around?

            Many thanks!

            Mark Durenberger
          • chutton12000

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 10, 2013
                Thanks Chuck.  it’s REALLY a great utility!

                Regards,

                Mark Durenberger

                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 11, 2013
                  Can you give me the URL for download wav chopper?

                  73's,
                  NL13659
                • Willi Passmann

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 11, 2013
                      Just curious:  Is there a reason a program like Audacity cannot be used to extract wanted portions from a Perseus file or is there something unique about the file structure of a saved Persues recorded file?

                      Thanks,
                      George, NJ3H

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 11, 2013
                        As you wrote, the .wav file from a Perseus (or from another SDR) doesn't have the same structure as an audio .wav file. This is why you need a special program to play or edit the file.

                        Sylvain Naud
                        Portneuf, QC
                        CAN

                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 12, 2013
                            What is stored in the Perseus wav-file is not audio but more "generic" data...

                            "since the sampling rate of a WAV file can vary from 1 Hz to 4.3 GHz, and the number of channels can be as high as 65536, .wav files have also been used for non-audio data. " From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV

                            I guess if Audacity could handle generic I/Q data rather than "audio", and maybe have the possiblity to understand headers with metadata it could allow manupilation of Perseus files.

                            /Lasse SM5GLC

                            On 11 sep 2013 22:56 "George" <nj3h@...> wrote:

                            Just curious:  Is there a reason a program like Audacity cannot be used to extract wanted portions from a Perseus file or is there something unique about the file structure of a saved Persues recorded file?

                            Thanks,
                            George, NJ3H

                          • Simon Brown
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 12, 2013

                              Lasse,

                              The ‘professional’ solution is the VITA 49 standard, something I’m adopting. It’s good, has everything I can think of in it and reduces confusion between software packages.

                              Simon Brown (G4ELI/HB9DRV)
                              http://v2.sdr-radio.com

                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 12, 2013
                                Simon,
                                agree on VITA 49. It seems the buzz-word in SDR applications these days :)

                                See it beeing used a lot here at the saltmine :D

                                /Lasse

                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 12, 2013

                                  I am listening on the Perseus software to a remote receiver.  I do not own a Perseus receiver (as of yet).  I have Mestor loaded.  I can understand the message on the Mestor screen that says "Missing Hardware".

                                  However, timed recordings or live recordings can not be made off of a remote receiver.  I wanted to try Mestor out.  Is this the normal behavior that Mestor cannot record off of the remote receivers without "real" hardware being present.

                                  Thanks,
                                  George

                                • Roelof Bakker
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 12, 2013
                                    Hello George,

                                    Even with the hardware present, it is not possible to make a spectrum
                                    recording on a remote PERSEUS.
                                    This can only been done on your local hardware and PC.

                                    73,
                                    Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt
                                  • maurits van driessche
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 12, 2013
                                      I put Mestor in the Perseus map ,but Mestor say "" no hardware
                                      found ""
                                      73,
                                      Maurits
                                      > Hello George,
                                      >
                                      > Even with the hardware present, it is not possible to make a spectrum
                                      > recording on a remote PERSEUS.
                                      > This can only been done on your local hardware and PC.
                                      >
                                      > 73,
                                      > Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

                                    • NJ3H
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 12, 2013
                                        Thanks Roelof for the information. I appreceiate it.
                                        Regards,
                                        George

                                        Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4GLTE

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014

                                          Good Saturday to all,

                                          Last night I set Mestor as follows between the dashed lines:

                                          ======================

                                          SET 6000/5

                                          09'25 (40)

                                          ======================

                                          Start at 0925 and record for 40 minutes.

                                          I ended up with files 8 minutes apart (as I would expect).  However, playback did not link these files together.  I was trying to copy the VOA radiogram.

                                          Normally, lengthy recordings add the 000, 001, 002, etc at the end of a file.

                                          Is there a Mestor command that will do this?

                                          I haven't tried yet, but will renaming all the files and adding the 000, 001, etc at the end of each on work?

                                          There must be a better way if one wants to record with a timer and playback without having to load each sequential file manually.

                                          Thanks for any help.

                                          Regards,

                                          George

                                        • simbeav
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014
                                            Sorry I can't help with mestor, but give stationlist by Jurgen a go. It offers so much more, but is by far the easiest way to record with perseus. No need to fiddle about with scripts etc and I 've never have a missed recording since I sorted out my windows installation.

                                            Simon
                                            Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone from Virgin Media

                                            From: "nj3h@... [perseus_SDR]" <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
                                            Sender: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                                            Date: 05 Jul 2014 08:48:43 -0700
                                            To: <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
                                            ReplyTo: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                                            Subject: [perseus_SDR] Mestor Question

[...]

                                          • Guido Schotmans |
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014
                                              And you can use Station List to play Mestor files continuously or jump from one file to another while staying on frequency.

                                              Other option is make a rename.cmd file by using
                                              dir > dir.txt and editing this one f.e. in Excel. Not really a one click thing but it works.

                                              73,

                                              Guido.

                                              From: "nj3h@... [perseus_SDR]" <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
                                              Sender: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                                              Date: 05 Jul 2014 08:48:43 -0700
                                              To: <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
[...]

                                              Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                                              Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                                              Versie: 2014.0.4716 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7803 - datum van uitgifte: 07/05/14

                                            • George
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014
                                                Hi Simon and Guido,

                                                I manually added _000, _001, _002, etc. before the ".wav" in my 5 files that I want to play in order.  That did work.  However, for many files that would be a tedious thing to do.  Unfortunately, I do not understand the rename.cmd idea.  It is something I am unfamiliar with.

                                                I have never been able to get com0com to configure on my Win 8.1 computer.  I am sure I am doing something wrong, but it will just not work.

                                                At the StationList website, there is a screen capture that shows the config screen for com0com.  On the left it shows:

                                                - Virtual Port Pair 0
                                                   + COM10
                                                   + COM11

                                                I can never seem to duplicate that when trying to set up this program on my computer.  I can not show both COM10 and COM11 at the same time as shown on the screen capture.

                                                Obviously, I would love to get this to work, since using StationList would be a lot faster than spending my time renaming file after file.

                                                By the way, I did get VSPE to work, but there is a comment on the StationList website not to use VSPE for SL.
                                                Thanks for your willingness to help me.

                                                Regards,
                                                George

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014

                                                  Le 2014-07-05 15:35, George nj3h@... [perseus_SDR] a écrit :

                                                  I have never been able to get com0com to configure on my Win 8.1 computer.  I am sure I am doing something wrong, but it will just not work.
                                                  At the StationList website, there is a screen capture that shows the config screen for com0com.  On the left it shows:

                                                  - Virtual Port Pair 0
                                                     + COM10
                                                     + COM11

                                                  I can never seem to duplicate that when trying to set up this program on my computer.  I can not show both COM10 and COM11 at the same time as shown on the screen capture.

                                                  Obviously, I would love to get this to work, since using StationList would be a lot faster than spending my time renaming file after file.

                                                  Hello George,

                                                  Each time I have to re-configure com0com (i.e. when replacing the computer), I like to refer to the following method:

                                                  After installing com0com you have to change the names of the com-ports.
                                                  To do this start „Setup Command Prompt“ and type :
                                                  command> change CNCA0 PortName=COM10
                                                  command> change CNCB0 PortName=COM11
                                                  That’s all! Your Perseus can now work on com10 (your Perseus-Software
                                                  use this port) and com11 (3rd party software).

                                                  This is from the user guide of Wallauer's third party software, RecTimer http://www.frequency-control.de/ which I have used a couple of times in the past.

                                                  The last time I've installed com0com on my Win7 machine, I had driver problems which have been resolved after finding this:

                                                  http://pete.akeo.ie/2011/07/com0com-signed-drivers.html (just in case you need to go further)

                                                  By the way, I did get VSPE to work, but there is a comment on the StationList website not to use VSPE for SL.
                                                  Thanks for your willingness to help me.

                                                  The last time I used VSPE, that was on my Vista machine and the virtual port was often disconnecting which was very annoying. On the other hand, com0com has always been rock-solid and this is so far, my obvious choice if you connect only one item to the virtual port (i.e. StationList).

                                                  Sylvain Naud
                                                  Portneuf, QC
                                                  CAN
                                                  www.quebecdx.com
                                                  .

                                                • George
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 5, 2014
                                                    Hi Sylvain,

                                                    Thanks for your email.  I am trying to get things to work now.

                                                    I did get com0com to install, even though there were some error messages along the way.  However, I did get a message that it was installed.  I can get to the com0com setup screen.

                                                    When I went to the command prompt and went to c:\> and typed command.........etc as you had, I get a message that says "Access is denied.".

                                                    Then I tried it again and I get the message that says: "'command' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

                                                    When at the command prompt, what subdirectory should I be in?  Does this make a difference?

                                                    So now I am stuck again.  I really would like to use Station List, but this is my second go around with com0com.

                                                    Regards,
                                                    George

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 6, 2014
                                                      George,

                                                      > When I went to the command prompt and went to c:\> and typed
                                                      > command.........etc as you had, I get a message that says
                                                      > "Access is denied.".
                                                      >
                                                      > Then I tried it again and I get the message that says:
                                                      > "'command' is not recognized as an internal or external
                                                      > command, operable program, or batch file."

                                                      You don't have to go to the Windows command prompt but to the Com0Com
                                                      command prompt !
                                                      You'll find it in Start, All Programs, Com0com, Setup Command prompt.

                                                      73,

                                                      Guido.
                                                    • nj3h
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 30, 2015
                                                        Does anyone know if Mestor has the capability to set the recording time for a specific sampling rate.  For example, I like to record the VOA RadioGram.  I set the SR for 250 kS/s and I have set the recording length in the Perseus set-up screen to 39 minutes.  So the entire RadioGram is contained in one file with no drop-outs that do occur where one file ends and the next one begins (since now it is just one file).  The recording time setting only applies to making a live recording -- not when using Mestor in a timed recording.

                                                        So it would be nice if there was a work-around that would allow longer record time per file and still use Mestor for timed recordings.

                                                        Regards,
                                                        George, NJ3H
                                                        Stephens City, Virginia USA