RE: [perseus_SDR] Re: CPU's vs Radio Performance

  • Simon Brown
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 8, 2013

      My thoughts, I think they were covered but:

      1)      Is the ATOM system running with 50% or 100% CPU?

      2)      Are you very sure that all samples are being processed and none lost?

      My gut feeling is that the ATOM system can’t process all the data…

      Simon Brown (G4ELI/HB9DRV)
      http://v2.sdr-radio.com

      From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dl4raj

      My question may seem too simple but anyway I give it a go:
      Did you make sure that you are using the same bandwidth
      on both Perseus SW instances.
      I mean the BW preset button as well as the effective bandwidth
      which you can adjust with the mouse or mouse wheel.

    • chutton12000
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 8, 2013

        While you didn't say which Atom (there are several generations), my Asus EEE 10125C (with the Atom 2700) runs Perseus OK (recording and playback, 2 MSPS) with the Super Hybrid Engine set to high performance. My older Asus EEE 1000HA (N260 based) will also do OK but it's necessary to overclock to near 2 GHZ to remove stuttering.

        I'm aware of a handful of DXers using Atom based netbooks with Perseus. There have been a couple of reviews about DXers using netbooks with Perseus. It can be done.

        Chuck

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, <perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        That is the conclusion I have reached Simon. And, I think it is something you would only detect by doing a virtually instantaneous side by side comparison

        Before I curiously decided to do the side by side I had observed the Perseus worked with the Core CPU and worked seemingly fine with the Atom processor. After all, it was receiving and displaying signals and I had no reason to suspect that signals were actually some 2 S-units down. As the netbook is old (it was Acer's first model netbook) and I was no longer using it I was thinking to just dedicate it to SDR. Then it occurred to me to do the comparison just to make sure the netbook was up to the task. When I saw the results I was extremely methodical to insure every setting and all conditions were identical. I really wanted the netbook to perform as opposed to putting back on the shelf to collect dust. It simply didn't.

        So, back on the shelf it goes and I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.
        Regards to the group

        PS I took both PC's out of their battery power save modes to insure the CPU's weren't being throttled back.