Re: [perseus_SDR] RE: Still Having Norton Issues

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 5, 2013
      Interesting...I've had Norton running on my machines for the last 13
      years without a hitch (knock on wood). CPU load has always been low (as
      compared to the one time I installed McAffee). Right now I run Windows
      7 on two computers and run the Perseus on both without a hitch. I also
      have a netbook I just upgraded to W8 and have not had a problem with
      Perseus and Norton on that machine either.

      Keith
      Hingham MA

      On 9/5/2013 6:28 PM, satnipper@... wrote:
      > If only they were all this easy!
      >
      > Get rid of Norton and install Microsoft Security Essentials instead. It's free
      > and better. Now re-install Perseus and start dxing!
      >
      > I swore back in 1995 that Norton would never go near one of my PCs again and it
      > never has.
      >
      > regards
      >
      > Stuart
      >

      > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, <perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >
      > Win 8, Norton latest version.
      >
      > I have set up exclusion rules for scanning and for auto-protect.
      >
      > Those rules allow me to install the Perseus software.
      >
      > However, within a few hours, the Perseus app has been deleted from the computer
      > (put in quarantine, I presume).
      >
      > How can I stop this from happening?
      >
      > Regards,
      > George, NJ3H

    • chutton12000
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 8, 2013

        While you didn't say which Atom (there are several generations), my Asus EEE 10125C (with the Atom 2700) runs Perseus OK (recording and playback, 2 MSPS) with the Super Hybrid Engine set to high performance. My older Asus EEE 1000HA (N260 based) will also do OK but it's necessary to overclock to near 2 GHZ to remove stuttering.

        I'm aware of a handful of DXers using Atom based netbooks with Perseus. There have been a couple of reviews about DXers using netbooks with Perseus. It can be done.

        Chuck

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, <perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        That is the conclusion I have reached Simon. And, I think it is something you would only detect by doing a virtually instantaneous side by side comparison

        Before I curiously decided to do the side by side I had observed the Perseus worked with the Core CPU and worked seemingly fine with the Atom processor. After all, it was receiving and displaying signals and I had no reason to suspect that signals were actually some 2 S-units down. As the netbook is old (it was Acer's first model netbook) and I was no longer using it I was thinking to just dedicate it to SDR. Then it occurred to me to do the comparison just to make sure the netbook was up to the task. When I saw the results I was extremely methodical to insure every setting and all conditions were identical. I really wanted the netbook to perform as opposed to putting back on the shelf to collect dust. It simply didn't.

        So, back on the shelf it goes and I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.
        Regards to the group

        PS I took both PC's out of their battery power save modes to insure the CPU's weren't being throttled back.

        On Sep 8, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

        My thoughts, I think they were covered but:

        1)      Is the ATOM system running with 50% or 100% CPU?

        2)      Are you very sure that all samples are being processed and none lost?

        My gut feeling is that the ATOM system can’t process all the data…

        Simon Brown (G4ELI/HB9DRV)
        http://v2.sdr-radio.com

        From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dl4raj

        My question may seem too simple but anyway I give it a go:
        Did you make sure that you are using the same bandwidth
        on both Perseus SW instances.
        I mean the BW preset button as well as the effective bandwidth
        which you can adjust with the mouse or mouse wheel.

        Anthony R Gargano