Re: FS:/ NCC-1 DXengineering Phase

  • Gian
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
      Hi Roelof and all,

      I know the MFJ-1025/1026 and I designed some mods for it.

      I also have one I did design that is working nicely, using better amps and a phaser that is somehow derived from lankford.

      I am very curious to learn about DXE phaser ... hi

      73

      Gian
      I7SWX

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jbollit@...> wrote:

      > I had a DXE Phaser at one time. I then built a homebrew, modified, Misek/Lankford phaser that was far superior for BCB applications.
      >
      > During the day, with the homebrew unit, I can null locals into the noise, and at night time, I can set it and it will keep a VERY stable null throughout the night time. I would listen to the local or distant station that I wanted to null when sunset was approaching, null it, and then set the Perseus to record TOH, and the nulls were stable.
      >
      > I also had a Quantum Plus, and the the nulls with that unit were not as deep as the DXE or my homebrew phaser.
      >
      > The homebrew unit uses a Norton amp with specs that are better than the DXE (IP2, IP3, and large signal handling capability) and has nulls > 55 dB.
      >
      > I have pictures if anyone is interested in it.
      >
      > Jim

    • enriqueeeeee2001
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
        Hello,

        Since I have strong interferences coming from the drive of the elevator I have purchased a MFJ-1026 phaser but I have not tested it yet.

        My first idea was to build a Dallas Lankford phaser but regrettably Mr. Lankford has closed down his yahoo group not much time ago. I remember seeing in that group, Dallas files, a very interesting phaser. There are some schemes scattered on the web.

        I have found this:
        https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CDUQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w0btu.com%2Ffiles%2Fantenna%2FNew%2520Improved%2520Passive%2520Phasers%2520II.pdf&ei=66HtUa2uBoaJ7AazpIDgAw&usg=AFQjCNF1MXHHa9mxBoBDxH11TwAyg5qtXQ

        I would like to modify the MFJ-1026 but it seems a bit complicated without any guidance or photos, I hope that it works with a Wellbrook ALA 100M as main antenna and a mini-whip as a auxiliary.

        Regards.

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Gian" <i7swx@...> wrote:

        > Hi Roelof and all,
        >
        > I know the MFJ-1025/1026 and I designed some mods for it.
        >
        > I also have one I did design that is working nicely, using better amps and a phaser that is somehow derived from lankford.
        >
        > I am very curious to learn about DXE phaser ... hi
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Gian
        > I7SWX
        >
        > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jbollit@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I had a DXE Phaser at one time. I then built a homebrew, modified, Misek/Lankford phaser that was far superior for BCB applications.
        > >
        > > During the day, with the homebrew unit, I can null locals into the noise, and at night time, I can set it and it will keep a VERY stable null throughout the night time. I would listen to the local or distant station that I wanted to null when sunset was approaching, null it, and then set the Perseus to record TOH, and the nulls were stable.
        > >
        > > I also had a Quantum Plus, and the the nulls with that unit were not as deep as the DXE or my homebrew phaser.
        > >
        > > The homebrew unit uses a Norton amp with specs that are better than the DXE (IP2, IP3, and large signal handling capability) and has nulls > 55 dB.
        > >
        > > I have pictures if anyone is interested in it.
        > >
        > > Jim

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013

          I built a modified Misek/Lankford active phaser and it is the best phaser that I have used.  I have used the MFJ, Timewave, Quantum Plus, and DXE (all owned and compared at the same time) and the active Misek/Lankford phaser beats them hands down.

          The MFJ and Timewave are difficult to null, as the gain changes when you are changing phase, so there are too many knobs to "set".

          The DXE specs are good as they say the gain changes only +/- a few dB with changing phase, so much easier to adjust than MFJ and Timewave.

          Jim
          WA9ZBV

          Since I have strong interferences coming from the drive of the elevator I have purchased a MFJ-1026 phaser but I have not tested it yet.

          My first idea was to build a Dallas Lankford phaser but regrettably Mr. Lankford has closed down his yahoo group not much time ago. I remember seeing in that group, Dallas files, a very interesting phaser. There are some schemes scattered on the web.

          I have found this:
          https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CDUQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w0btu.com%2Ffiles%2Fantenna%2FNew%2520Improved%2520Passive%2520Phasers%2520II.pdf&ei=66HtUa2uBoaJ7AazpIDgAw&usg=AFQjCNF1MXHHa9mxBoBDxH11TwAyg5qtXQ

          I would like to modify the MFJ-1026 but it seems a bit complicated without any guidance or photos, I hope that it works with a Wellbrook ALA 100M as main antenna and a mini-whip as a auxiliary.

          Regards.

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Gian" <i7swx@...> wrote:

          > Hi Roelof and all,
          >
          > I know the MFJ-1025/1026 and I designed some mods for it.
          >
          > I also have one I did design that is working nicely, using better amps and a phaser that is somehow derived from lankford.
          >
          > I am very curious to learn about DXE phaser ... hi
          >
          > 73
          >
          > Gian
          > I7SWX
          >
          > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jbollit@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I had a DXE Phaser at one time. I then built a homebrew, modified, Misek/Lankford phaser that was far superior for BCB applications.
          > >
          > > During the day, with the homebrew unit, I can null locals into the noise, and at night time, I can set it and it will keep a VERY stable null throughout the night time. I would listen to the local or distant station that I wanted to null when sunset was approaching, null it, and then set the Perseus to record TOH, and the nulls were stable.
          > >
          > > I also had a Quantum Plus, and the the nulls with that unit were not as deep as the DXE or my homebrew phaser.
          > >
          > > The homebrew unit uses a Norton amp with specs that are better than the DXE (IP2, IP3, and large signal handling capability) and has nulls > 55 dB.
          > >
          > > I have pictures if anyone is interested in it.
          > >
          > > Jim

        • Sergio Manrique Almeida
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
            Enrique,

            Look at this:

            73, EA3DU

            Since I have strong interferences coming from the drive of the elevator I have purchased a MFJ-1026 phaser but I have not tested it yet.

            My first idea was to build a Dallas Lankford phaser but regrettably Mr. Lankford has closed down his yahoo group not much time ago. I remember seeing in that group, Dallas files, a very interesting phaser. There are some schemes scattered on the web.

            I have found this:
            https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CDUQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w0btu.com%2Ffiles%2Fantenna%2FNew%2520Improved%2520Passive%2520Phasers%2520II.pdf&ei=66HtUa2uBoaJ7AazpIDgAw&usg=AFQjCNF1MXHHa9mxBoBDxH11TwAyg5qtXQ

            I would like to modify the MFJ-1026 but it seems a bit complicated without any guidance or photos, I hope that it works with a Wellbrook ALA 100M as main antenna and a mini-whip as a auxiliary.

            Regards.

            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Gian" <i7swx@...> wrote:

            > Hi Roelof and all,
            >
            > I know the MFJ-1025/1026 and I designed some mods for it.
            >
            > I also have one I did design that is working nicely, using better amps and a phaser that is somehow derived from lankford.
            >
            > I am very curious to learn about DXE phaser ... hi
            >
            > 73
            >
            > Gian
            > I7SWX
            >
            > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jbollit@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I had a DXE Phaser at one time. I then built a homebrew, modified, Misek/Lankford phaser that was far superior for BCB applications.
            > >
            > > During the day, with the homebrew unit, I can null locals into the noise, and at night time, I can set it and it will keep a VERY stable null throughout the night time. I would listen to the local or distant station that I wanted to null when sunset was approaching, null it, and then set the Perseus to record TOH, and the nulls were stable.
            > >
            > > I also had a Quantum Plus, and the the nulls with that unit were not as deep as the DXE or my homebrew phaser.
            > >
            > > The homebrew unit uses a Norton amp with specs that are better than the DXE (IP2, IP3, and large signal handling capability) and has nulls > 55 dB.
            > >
            > > I have pictures if anyone is interested in it.
            > >
            > > Jim

          • enriqueeeeee2001
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
              Hello Jim,

              Since there is no chance to get the Dallas files, would not you mind putting the scheme of the active phaser on the files section for a few days?

              I have the passive scheme, I remember seeing in the Dallas files that it used a Norton preamp or maybe I am wrong.

              Thank you

            • DirkCL
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "enriqueeeeee2001" <enriqueeeeee2001@...> wrote:

                > Hello Jim,
                >
                > Since there is no chance to get the Dallas files, would not you mind putting the scheme of the active phaser on the files section for a few days?
                >
                > I have the passive scheme, I remember seeing in the Dallas files that it used a Norton preamp or maybe I am wrong.

                Hi,

                It took me a hefty search session, but the Dallas files are now available from the Yahoo group thedallasfiles2.

                You must register the usual way, but access is immediately without restrictions. No posting allowed, but see the files section.

                Regards - Dirk
              • Jim
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                  Great News!!

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                    That is good. I hope that all schemes and details of construction will be there posted soon.

                    Meanwhile I will use the MFJ-1026,I hope to have good results.

                    Regards.