Re: [perseus_SDR] Re: Perseus and downconverter?

  • Werner Karn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2013
      Kari, Udo,

      the FM+ is designed for FM band listening and has a good pass band filter for 87,5 - 108 Mhz.

      73,

      Werner

      2013/7/18 dl3gn <dx@...>

      Hi Kari

      Yes, FM+ hardware can do the thing, not with FM+ software (which can only demodulate wide-FM and which is restricted to 87,5 to 108 MHz), but with the original Perseus software or alternative software as HDSDR or sdr-radio.com. To show the correct frequency you would need to buy the downconverter or to use the alternative softwares without extra cost.

      On the FM broadcast band, my Dientronic converter hardware is about 5 to 8 dB more sensitive than my FM+ hardware converter, but this also means that there is more risk to overload with local FM broadcast stations.

      There are of course situations where more sensitivity is needed. For example now I am listening (with a 5 element LogPer for FM broadcast band) to a very weak VOR beacon on 113.000 MHz that identifies with "FOD" (I have no good list here at holidays at the moment in southern Montenegro at the albanian border near Ulcinj, so I don't know where the beacon is located). With the Perses the morse code is identifyable, with the FM+ (hardware) I can see only the carrier. If you don't have already the FM+ hardware and if you are not very interested in FM broadcast DX (the FM+ software is VERY nice for that purpose!), maybe the Perses hardware (which is a lot cheaper) would be a better try.

      Aftre writing that, I have tried to receive more beacons. There is one at 117.700 with very weak audio (I have not yet identified surely, maybe TRN ? - Tirana?). With Perses hardware and Perseus software, its carrier comes in with about -98 dBm (Perseus tuned to "37.700.200"). With the FM+ hardware, the carrier is even not visible, but another weak carrier (maybe a birdie) on "37.700.860" MHz.

      So, I suppose that at the band edges, the Perses is a lot more sensitive than the FM+ converter hardware, which of course has not been designed for VOR listening purposes.

      73
      Udo, at the moment 4O/HB9ERD

    • Kari Syrjänen

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 2013
          Hi Kari

          I am sure the company still exists. But this is a "one-engineer-company" and now it's holiday time, so maybe Michael Dienel is at holidays and will surely reply after coming back. I have known him personally at Ham Radio and Weinheim UKW-Tagung ham radio fairs and he is a reliable ham.

          73, now from eastern Albania, near the macedonian border
          Udo, "ZA/"HB9ERD (but without CEPT licence here)