Re: The Next Generation

  • iv3nwv
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 8, 2013
      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV" <simon@...> wrote:

      > Come-on Nico, we know you're designing something J .

      Yes, Simon, but I've never loved zero-IF quadrature mixer architectures for analog communications equipment. They are more suited for people who make phone calls and can't see any spectrum waterfall because the radio is too close to their ears :-D

      I'm simply working to a "traditional" direct sampling object.
      More information to come as the job goes on.

      73s
      Nico /IV3NWV
    • Werner Karn
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
        coherent multiple RF SDRs in one box with 4 or 8 antenna inputs and with phasing and DF capabilities would be nice....

        73,

        Werner

        2013/7/9 iv3nwv <nicopal@...>

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV" <simon@...> wrote:

        > Come-on Nico, we know you're designing something J .

        Yes, Simon, but I've never loved zero-IF quadrature mixer architectures for analog communications equipment. They are more suited for people who make phone calls and can't see any spectrum waterfall because the radio is too close to their ears :-D

        I'm simply working to a "traditional" direct sampling object.
        More information to come as the job goes on.

        73s
        Nico /IV3NWV

      • Lasse Moell
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 9, 2013
          And it should come with a helicopter for calibration....
          Not sure how good a system would be if used over say 2-30 MHz and not calibrated.

          Market for a system like this may to be too big :( Still interesting and experiments using various antenna systems would be great fun!

          /Lasse SM5GLC

          2013/7/9 iv3nwv <nicopal@...>

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV" <simon@...> wrote:

          > Come-on Nico, we know you're designing something J .

          Yes, Simon, but I've never loved zero-IF quadrature mixer architectures for analog communications equipment. They are more suited for people who make phone calls and can't see any spectrum waterfall because the radio is too close to their ears :-D

          I'm simply working to a "traditional" direct sampling object.
          More information to come as the job goes on.

          73s
          Nico /IV3NWV

        • Hubert Bollhalder
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 27, 2013

            Your statement is just my opinion, Paul!
            I'm sure if Nico designed a new SDR, then the result will be even more excellent.

            73, Hubert (HB9JND)

          • Roelof Bakker
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 27, 2013
              Hello Paul,

              The PERSEUS has been a quantum leap in affordable SDR technology, so as
              a consequence all next steps will be small!!

              Best regards,
              Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt
            • Lasse Moell
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 27, 2013
                Question is what do we (the users) want?
                It seems a dual channel version could be fun, but for most users not a "needed" feature. Wider band for those who want to explore VHF and up, but the current state is fine for most users on HF.

                We will see cheaper stuff on the market, and it will be down to software to differentiate the products.

                This seems like a fun toy, but it need proper software to run:
                http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/652945597/red-pitaya-open-instruments-for-everyone?ref=category

                One thing for sure, exciting (and fun) times ahead!!!
                /Lasse SM5GLC

                On 27 jul 2013 16:54 <pd0psb@...> wrote:

                > A base of truth Roelof ;-)
                > But I think you underestimate the unexplored potential ahead.
                >
                > Meanwhile most SDR development seems to be running in circles.
                > Some "novalties" are even steps backwards.
                >
                > 73
                > Paul
                > PD0PSB
                >
                > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:perseus_SDR%40yahoogroups.com>, Roelof Bakker <roelof@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Paul,
                > >
                > > The PERSEUS has been a quantum leap in affordable SDR technology, so
                > > as
                > > a consequence all next steps will be small!!
                > >
                > > Best regards,
                > > Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

              • Ron
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 27, 2013
                  Paul & Roelof,

                  You are both right by all means, but that could be just the thing that interrest the professional market to and I suspect there is more money to be earned. They almost always state excusivity, so I suppose most SDR developers point there noses in that direction and release small new features or improvements to the amateur market.

                  I still am bothered by the lack of receiving performance above 15 mHz against good quality, old school equipment. Even the usable dynamic range is poor by some of the new SDR radios.

                  The use of FPGA in new tranceivers as the ANAN100D and Flex-7000 series is promising tough. I really expected a successor of the perseus by Microtelecom for a while now or even an extended range receiver as the Gemini, and I suspect there is one, but not for us amateurs I'm afraid. Why else is there so little or nothing to be read on this group. All hush hush stuff...

                  73' Ron
                  ON2RON

                  > A base of truth Roelof ;-)
                  > But I think you underestimate the unexplored potential ahead.
                  >
                  > Meanwhile most SDR development seems to be running in circles.
                  > Some "novalties" are even steps backwards.
                  >
                  > 73
                  > Paul
                  > PD0PSB
                  >

                  > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Roelof Bakker <roelof@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello Paul,
                  > >
                  > > The PERSEUS has been a quantum leap in affordable SDR technology, so as
                  > > a consequence all next steps will be small!!
                  > >
                  > > Best regards,
                  > > Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

                • Roelof Bakker
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 27, 2013
                    Hello Paul,

                    Most of these attempts just offer temporary fun as a novelty.
                    <<<

                    The price one has to pay, if always chasing the latest and greatest!

                    Kidding aside, having owned a PERSEUS for over five years now, it still
                    serves my needs both as receiver and measurement tool very well.

                    The problem is that flashy looking software interfaces don't tell you
                    anything at all about the true quality of the reception package.

                    73,
                    Roelof, pa0rdt
                  • Hubert Bollhalder
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 27, 2013

                      Yes Paul,

                      Perseus has just been developed by an engineer who has himself understood exactly what he does.
                      If you look at the features of the Perseus, like the spectrum window, you can see that this has been successfully
                      developing by an Engineer who previously worked himself a long time with professional spectrum analyzers.
                      Alone much color on the screen is not enough ......

                      So I would be very happy if Nico would once again develop a new SDR receiver.
                      Wishes and dreams of our users there would probably enough.

                      73, Hubert (HB9JND)

                    • Leif Asbrink
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 27, 2013
                        Hello Lasse and all,

                        A dual channel version would open for interference
                        fighting in a way you never even dreamed about!!

                        With two antennas that pick up interference and signal
                        at different ratios one can cancel the interference.

                        I think it will be possible to do far more sophisticated
                        processing than you can do with phasing equipment on
                        the analog signals because the computer can (in principle)
                        apply different phasing to different interference sources.
                        Particularly strong and characteristic ones like the
                        neighbours switch power supply.

                        73

                        Leif / SM5BSZ

                        > Question is what do we (the users) want?
                        > It seems a dual channel version could be fun, but for most users not a "needed" feature. Wider band for those who want to explore VHF and up, but the current state is fine for most users on HF.
                        >
                        > We will see cheaper stuff on the market, and it will be down to software to differentiate the products.
                        >
                        > This seems like a fun toy, but it need proper software to run:
                        > http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/652945597/red-pitaya-open-instruments-for-everyone?ref=category
                        >
                        > One thing for sure, exciting (and fun) times ahead!!!
                        > /Lasse SM5GLC

                      • Matthias Bopp
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 27, 2013
                          Hello all,

                          or even a scalable solution where more than 2 channels can be used ... this
                          would be very interesting for radio direction finding ...

                          Best regards

                          Matthias

                          www.dd1us.de

                          A dual channel version would open for interference fighting in a way you
                          never even dreamed about!!

                          With two antennas that pick up interference and signal at different ratios
                          one can cancel the interference.

                          I think it will be possible to do far more sophisticated processing than you
                          can do with phasing equipment on the analog signals because the computer can
                          (in principle) apply different phasing to different interference sources.
                          Particularly strong and characteristic ones like the neighbours switch power
                          supply.

                          73

                          Leif / SM5BSZ

                          > Question is what do we (the users) want?
                          > It seems a dual channel version could be fun, but for most users not a
                          "needed" feature. Wider band for those who want to explore VHF and up, but
                          the current state is fine for most users on HF.

                          > We will see cheaper stuff on the market, and it will be down to software
                          to differentiate the products.

                          > This seems like a fun toy, but it need proper software to run:
                          > http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/652945597/red-pitaya-open-instrume
                          > nts-for-everyone?ref=category
                          >
                          > One thing for sure, exciting (and fun) times ahead!!!
                          > /Lasse SM5GLC

                        • Werner Karn

                            A dual channel version would open for interference fighting in a way you
                            never even dreamed about!!

                            With two antennas that pick up interference and signal at different ratios
                            one can cancel the interference.

                            I think it will be possible to do far more sophisticated processing than you
                            can do with phasing equipment on the analog signals because the computer can
                            (in principle) apply different phasing to different interference sources.
                            Particularly strong and characteristic ones like the neighbours switch power
                            supply.

                            73

                            Leif / SM5BSZ

                            > Question is what do we (the users) want?
                            > It seems a dual channel version could be fun, but for most users not a
                            "needed" feature. Wider band for those who want to explore VHF and up, but
                            the current state is fine for most users on HF.

                            > We will see cheaper stuff on the market, and it will be down to software
                            to differentiate the products.

                            > This seems like a fun toy, but it need proper software to run:
                            > http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/652945597/red-pitaya-open-instrume
                            > nts-for-everyone?ref=category
                            >
                            > One thing for sure, exciting (and fun) times ahead!!!
                            > /Lasse SM5GLC

                          • Lasse Moell
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 28, 2013
                              Werner,
                              I must be somewhat of a Simpleton...
                              Having, say 4 or even 8 channels input, how do do one acheive proper DF with 10 kHz to 30 MHz??

                              Those antenna systems I have seen operating at HF has been pretty large and they spent a lot of time calibrating, even using a helicopter.

                              Supressing noise and interference, would be nice but it is much simpler than a working DF station.

                              If someone can give some information on how to get a multi channel DF to work, without having to have an enormous estate for antennas and a simpel way to calibrate over both frequency and AZ, I would love to hear about it, really!!

                              /Lasse SM5GLC

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 28, 2013
                                Lasse,

                                Typical systems could use 4 or 8 antennas
                                of the same type ( as noise cancelling will need equal amplitude, if not to be adjusted by software). Once the 4 or 8 receivers work coherently, the direction of the signal is a function of the frequency, distance between antennas and resulting phase difference.
                                Antenna distance should not exceed half of the shortest wavelength. Max. frequency ratio is probably 1:10, For accuracy you don't need a helicopter, it's just a matter of having a good compass or known angle to a transmitter and/or measuring the exact position of each antenna with GPS within 1cm or less or exact distance and angle to each other.
                                I think with Perseus SDR you would just need to let the LO of the different channels run with different phases.

                                73,

                                Werner

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 28, 2013
                                  Werner,
                                  you make it sound so easy :)

                                  A wide-band DF-system for HF is no simple task! I have seen several commercial systems offerings that performance suffers badly. Sure it can be done, but the question remain, will it have accuracy enough to be a valuable tool for the average Ham?

                                  And the is the question of s/w vs. antenna... should we use MUSIC, interferometric or Adcock/WatsonWatt?  The software will be pretty complex!

                                  Still it IS a really fun and interesting topic, If this can be done with simple h/w, I'll be first in line to try it out :)

                                  Cheers
                                  Lasse SM5GLC

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 1, 2013
                                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Lasse Moell" <lasse.moell@...> wrote:

                                    > Those antenna systems I have seen operating at HF has been pretty large and they spent a lot of time calibrating, even using a helicopter.

                                    Was it an Agilent helicopter either a Rohde & Schwarz one :-D

                                    73s
                                    Nico / IV3NWV

                                    (I'm reading really interesting comments, btw)
                                  • iv3nwv
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 1, 2013

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 1, 2013
                                        :)

                                        I have spent my fair share of time trying to calibrate DF-antennas for VHF/UHF. Not an easy task, even when one use state-of-the-art software simulations and "only" wants to verify the results. HF has its share of problems, but everything gets soo much larger :D

                                        Years and years ago we used to operate Plath and Telefunken systems, and seeing how skywaves mixes makes you realize even with a perfect antenna things are not "that" easy...

                                        Still, would be fun to play around see what is feasable using SDR tehcnique and how far one can use simple antennas and still have a usable system.

                                        /Lasse SM5GLC

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 4, 2013
                                          Lasse,

                                          I believe interferometric methods are much easier to accomplish nowadays, as SDRs will run from one oszillator only without mixing and there are DDS circuits allowing for precise phase shifts, if this couldn't be done easier in the FPGA anyway.
                                          I have one of my Perseus running from a GPS controlled LO and when I input two signals from a DDS source with the same frequency, but an adjustable phase shift, allowing precise steps of less than 0,1 degrees, I get exactly the signal levels you'd expect when phasing two identical antennas. The 180 degree attenuation only depends on how equal the amplitude levels are. At less than 0.1 dB difference I get appr. - 60 dB.
                                          I was thinking of letting two of my Perseus
                                          running from the same LO ( one the LO channel being phase adjustable ), however combining  the two signals in the PC is not feasible, as two USB ports and two instances running will not allow to maintain phase coherency. Combination of the two or multi channel signals must be made in the SDR FPGA before being sent as combined " same time" packages to the PC for processing. And this is where for me there is " end of story ", but I think Nico could, if he wanted. -:(
                                          73,

                                          Werner

                                          :)