Re: [perseus_SDR] new software

  • Werner Karn
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 23, 2013
      Christian,

      are you using VAC for audio. If so, check vac audio mixer settings.

      73,

      Werner

      Am Samstag, 22. Juni 2013 schrieb CHRISTIAN :

      I download and install the 4.1a whithout problem.

      No sound is heard !!

      Smeter Windows : nothing in PEAK Windows !!

      What to do ?

      Thanks in advance for answer

      Christian

    • maurits van driessche
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 31, 2014
        There was spoken about new software for the Perseus ,or was this a joke ?
        73,
        Maurits
        Belgium
      • Roelof Bakker
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 1, 2014
          Hello Maurits,

          This rumour is true.
          The last thing I heard is that it will be available on short notice.
          That is a couple of weeks.

          73,
          Roelof Bakker
        • maurits van driessche
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 1, 2014
            Some blow it up,but I was not awake of it.We wonder what the Greek Heros
            bring us
            Thanks Roelof
            73,
            Maurits
            > Hello Maurits,
            >
            > This rumour is true.
            > The last thing I heard is that it will be available on short notice.
            > That is a couple of weeks.
            >
            > 73,
            > Roelof Bakker
            >

            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > ------------------------------------
            >

            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > Yahoo Groups Links

          • Alberto I2PHD
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 1, 2014
              On 11/1/2014 5:18 PM, maurits van driessche mauritsvandriessche@... [perseus_SDR] wrote:

              Some blow it up,but I was not awake of it.We wonder what the Greek Heros
              bring us

              I have seen it, though not finished yet. So it exists.

              And, talking of Greeks, at least in this case the Latin saying
              "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes"
              does not apply...  :-)

              --
              73 Alberto I2PHD
              Credo Ut Intelligam

            • maurits van driessche
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 1, 2014
                Thanks for this great words ,Alberto
                73,
                Maurits

                Some blow it up,but I was not awake of it.We wonder what the Greek Heros
                bring us

                I have seen it, though not finished yet. So it exists.

                And, talking of Greeks, at least in this case the Latin saying
                "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes"
                does not apply...  :-)

                --
                73 Alberto I2PHD
                Credo Ut Intelligam

              • Karel Honzík
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 1, 2014
                  New Perseus software? Surely a great thing! But ... Hopefully all fonts of the GUI will be readable, what is not the case of recent versions (excl. 4.0c beta) especially with certain Windows localizations. It was discussed here several times but no improvement done yet.
                  The old problem was brushed up here today when a fellow DXer visited me and looking on the Perseus GUI he said: “That is strange. You have paid for it and you cannot read it. Why have not they finished their job?” I could not find an answer... I am not the right person to ask.

                  Karel

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 1, 2014
                    Hi to all, Hi Karel,

                    this is exactly the same feeling.
                    Allways the same problem.
                    I send the screenshot ....

                    I stayed in V4.0B only solution.

                    73 '
                    F59465 Clem

                    Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 6:05 PM

                    On 11/1/2014 5:18 PM, maurits van driessche mauritsvandriessche@... [perseus_SDR] wrote:

                    Some blow it up,but I was not awake of it.We wonder what the Greek Heros
                    bring us

                    I have seen it, though not finished yet. So it exists.

                    And, talking of Greeks, at least in this case the Latin saying
                    "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes"
                    does not apply...  :-)

                    --
                    73 Alberto I2PHD
                    Credo Ut Intelligam

                    73'
                    Cordialement
                    F59465 Clement

                    My channel: F59465swl Youtube
                  • Marc Vissers
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 1, 2014
                      I hope someone doesn't blow my Perseus up, elsewise we can't listen anymore.
                      Better stay awake ! :-)

                      73, Marc

                    • Don
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 1, 2014
                        I have no problems with fonts and don't care about huge recording BW's,
                        just can't get Perseus to find the rx on all my PC's......

                        Don KPC6NDB
                        Upland, CA
                        34.10 -117.63 1250ft
                        FRG-100B ICF2010 Perseus x3
                        R70 R71A w/250Hz R75 x2 w/250Hz
                        SDR-IQ SPR-4 SSR-1
                        SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx MFJ-784B
                        HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
                        PA0RDT Mini-Whipx2 @ 25ft
                        RYO Active Antenna @ 25ft
                        ALA100Lx2 Z1501F @20ft w/9ft Whip
                        Solarcon A-99

                        On 01-Nov-14 15:00, Karel Honzík RadioRevue@... [perseus_SDR] wrote:

                        > New Perseus software? Surely a great thing! But ... Hopefully all fonts
                        > of the GUI will be readable, what is not the case of recent versions
                        > (excl. 4.0c beta) especially with certain Windows localizations. It was
                        > discussed here several times but no improvement done yet.
                        > The old problem was brushed up here today when a fellow DXer visited me
                        > and looking on the Perseus GUI he said: “That is strange. You have paid
                        > for it and you cannot read it. Why have not they finished their job?” I
                        > could not find an answer... I am not the right person to ask.
                        > Karel

                      • iv3nwv
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 7, 2014

                          Hello Karel,
                          I don't know if the new perseus software version will be a great thing. I hope it will, of course.
                          I have to admit that Windows localizations are not my main skills and I apologize for this.

                          I must also inform you that the new software release will be a fully resizable window but it will still use the same fonts that you already are not able to read. When it will be available I strongly suggest you not to test it (NOR to buy it) as it could give you the absolutely true impression that I've not worked in that direction.

                          Kind regards,
                          Nico / IV3NWV
                          __________________________________
                          Microtelecom s.r.l. - Pavia di Udine, Italy

                          ---In perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com, <RadioRevue@...> wrote :

                          New Perseus software? Surely a great thing! But ... Hopefully all fonts of the GUI will be readable, what is not the case of recent versions (excl. 4.0c beta) especially with certain Windows localizations. It was discussed here several times but no improvement done yet.
                          The old problem was brushed up here today when a fellow DXer visited me and looking on the Perseus GUI he said: “That is strange. You have paid for it and you cannot read it. Why have not they finished their job?” I could not find an answer... I am not the right person to ask.

                          Karel

                        • Leif Asbrink
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 7, 2014
                            Hello Karel,

                            In case you have an interest in radio I suggest you right-click on your
                            desktop and select a smaller screen (with the same height to width ratio)
                            That would make the Perseus fonts bigger. (as well as everything else)
                            There would no longer be much screen space for other things...

                            The obvious drawback is that you would run out of screen space.

                            I have another solution. I am using loupe spectacles so I can see the
                            small things on the screen:-) (rather expensive - but very satisfying.)

                            73

                            Leif

                            > Hello Karel, I don't know if the new perseus software version will be a great thing. I hope it will, of course.
                            > I have to admit that Windows localizations are not my main skills and I apologize for this.
                            >

                            > I must also inform you that the new software release will be a fully resizable window but it will still use the same fonts that you already are not able to read. When it will be available I strongly suggest you not to test it (NOR to buy it) as it could give you the absolutely true impression that I've not worked in that direction.
                            >

                            > Kind regards,
                            > Nico / IV3NWV
                            > __________________________________
                            > Microtelecom s.r.l. - Pavia di Udine, Italy
                            >

                            > ---In perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com, <RadioRevue@...> wrote :
                            >
                            > New Perseus software? Surely a great thing! But ... Hopefully all fonts of the GUI will be readable, what is not the case of recent versions (excl. 4.0c beta) especially with certain Windows localizations. It was discussed here several times but no improvement done yet.
                            > The old problem was brushed up here today when a fellow DXer visited me and looking on the Perseus GUI he said: “That is strange. You have paid for it and you cannot read it. Why have not they finished their job?” I could not find an answer... I am not the right person to ask.
                            >
                            > Karel

                          • Karel Honzík
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 8, 2014
                            Hello Leif,
                            thanks for your suggestions.
                            The problem which we have been discussing here since 2012 was not the size of fonts but their shape. Please see attachment. One font is OK, another one is deformed or substituted by a system font (?) with a very low resolution.
                            The shape of characters is the same with all possible screen resolutions.

                            Karel

                            Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2014 3:32 AM
                            Subject: [perseus_SDR] Re: new software

                            __________________________________
                            > Microtelecom s.r.l. - Pavia di Udine,
                            Italy

                            > ---In perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com,
                            <RadioRevue@...> wrote :

                            > New Perseus software?
                            Surely a great thing! But ... Hopefully all fonts of the GUI will be readable, what is not the case of recent versions (excl. 4.0c beta) especially with certain Windows localizations. It was discussed here several times but no improvement done yet.
                            > The old problem was brushed up here today when a
                            fellow DXer visited me and looking on the Perseus GUI he said: “That is strange. You have paid for it and you cannot read it. Why have not they finished their job?” I could not find an answer... I am not the right person to ask.

                            > Karel

                          • Guido Schotmans
                            Message 14 of 29 , Nov 8, 2014
                              Karel,

                              Have you tried activating/deactivating ClearType fonts in control panel ? I remember vaguely that this issue also occurred on Western Europeans screens and could be solved by this.

                              73,

                              Guido.

                              Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2014 3:32 AM

                              Hello Karel,

                              In case you have an interest in radio I suggest you right-click on your
                              desktop and select a smaller screen (with the same height to width ratio)
                              That would make the Perseus fonts bigger. (as well as everything else)
                              There would no longer be much screen space for other things...

                              The obvious drawback is that you would run out of screen space.

                              I have another solution. I am using loupe spectacles so I can see the
                              small things on the screen:-) (rather expensive - but very satisfying.)

                              73

                              Leif

                              > Hello Karel, I don't know if the new perseus software version will be a great thing. I hope it will, of course.
                              > I have to admit that Windows localizations are not my main skills and I apologize for this.
                              >

                              > I must also inform you that the new software release will be a fully resizable window but it will still use the same fonts that you already are not able to read. When it will be available I strongly suggest you not to test it (NOR to buy it) as it could give you the absolutely true impression that I've not worked in that direction.
                              >

                              > Kind regards,
                              > Nico / IV3NWV
                              > __________________________________
                              > Microtelecom s.r.l. - Pavia di Udine, Italy
                              >

                              > ---In perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com, <RadioRevue@...> wrote :
                              >
                              > New Perseus software? Surely a great thing! But ... Hopefully all fonts of the GUI will be readable, what is not the case of recent versions (excl. 4.0c beta) especially with certain Windows localizations. It wasdiscussed here several times but no improvement done yet.
                              > The old problem was brushed up here today when a fellow DXer visited me and looking on the Perseus GUI he said: “That is strange. You have paid for it and you cannot read it. Why have not they finished their job?” I could not find an answer... I am not the right person to ask.
                              >
                              > Karel

                              Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                              Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                              Versie: 2015.0.5315 / Virusdatabase: 4189/8533 - datum van uitgifte: 11/08/14

                              Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                              Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                              Versie: 2015.0.5315 / Virusdatabase: 4189/8533 - datum van uitgifte: 11/08/14

                            • Barry Williams

                                Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2014 3:32 AM

                                Hello Karel,

                                In case you have an interest in radio I suggest you right-click on your
                                desktop and select a smaller screen (with the same height to width ratio)
                                That would make the Perseus fonts bigger. (as well as everything else)
                                There would no longer be much screen space for other things...

                                The obvious drawback is that you would run out of screen space.

                                I have another solution. I am using loupe spectacles so I can see the
                                small things on the screen:-) (rather expensive - but very satisfying.)

                                73

                                Leif

                                > Hello Karel, I don't know if the new perseus software version will be a great thing. I hope it will, of course.
                                > I have to admit that Windows localizations are not my main skills and I apologize for this.
                                >

                                > I must also inform you that the new software release will be a fully resizable window but it will still use the same fonts that you already are not able to read. When it will be available I strongly suggest you not to test it (NOR to buy it) as it could give you the absolutely true impression that I've not worked in that direction.
                                >

                                > Kind regards,
                                > Nico / IV3NWV
                                > __________________________________
                                > Microtelecom s.r.l. - Pavia di Udine, Italy
                                >

                                > ---In perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com, <RadioRevue@...> wrote :
                                >
                                > New Perseus software? Surely a great thing! But ... Hopefully all fonts of the GUI will be readable, what is not the case of recent versions (excl. 4.0c beta) especially with certain Windows localizations. It was discussed here several times but no improvement done yet.
                                > The old problem was brushed up here today when a fellow DXer visited me and looking on the Perseus GUI he said: “That is strange. You have paid for it and you cannot read it. Why have not they finished their job?” I could not find an answer... I am not the right person to ask.
                                >
                                > Karel

                                Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                                Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                                Versie: 2015.0.5315 / Virusdatabase: 4189/8533 - datum van uitgifte: 11/08/14

                                Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                                Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                                Versie: 2015.0.5315 / Virusdatabase: 4189/8533 - datum van uitgifte: 11/08/14

                              • Jurgen Bartels
                                Message 16 of 29 , Nov 8, 2014
                                  > > Hello Karel, I don't know if the new perseus software version will be a
                                  > great thing. I hope it will, of course.
                                  > > I have to admit that Windows localizations are not my main skills and I
                                  > apologize for this.

                                  Nico,
                                  why don't you tell what font type / size you are using for those specific
                                  buttons.
                                  That gives Karel, and others suffering the same problem, a chance to install
                                  that font on their PC. Perhaps that fixes it.

                                  Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
                                  Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
                                  MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
                                  http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm
                                • Leif Asbrink
                                  Message 17 of 29 , Nov 8, 2014
                                  Hello Karel,

                                  To me it seems you should change some setting in Windows. On my
                                  computer perseus looks quite different. See attachment.

                                  I am not a Windows guru so I can not tell what you should change,
                                  but hopefully someone else can help.

                                  Leif

                                  > Hello Leif,
                                  > thanks for your suggestions.
                                  > The problem which we have been discussing here since 2012 was not the size of fonts but their shape. Please see attachment. One font is OK, another one is deformed or substituted by a system font (?) with a very low resolution.
                                  > The shape of characters is the same with all possible screen resolutions.
                                  >
                                  > Karel
                                • iv3nwv
                                  Message 18 of 29 , Nov 8, 2014
                                    Hello Juergen,

                                    all the button labels use a font which is 12 logical units high, medium weight, belongs to the "Roman" font family and is created with the following statement:

                                    m_BtnFont.CreateFont( 12, 0, 0, 0, FW_MEDIUM, 0, 0, 0,
                                    ANSI_CHARSET, OUT_DEVICE_PRECIS, CLIP_DEFAULT_PRECIS,
                                    DEFAULT_QUALITY, DEFAULT_PITCH, "Roman");

                                    I don't think that the reported problem is related to the installation of a particular font family.
                                    I've made a test right now, changed the "Roman" family to the fantasy name "Juergen" and the appearance of the GUI is exactely the same (btw, the window call returns succesfully in either case).

                                    For me it's really difficult to solve a problem which I have no experience of beside a generic description on this group. If you have a problem with your car do you call the BMW service or prefer to tell a yahoo group that it looks like that your car does not go for a ride anymore?
                                    I'd be really glad to help as much as I can, but to solve problems I need less tales and more details.

                                    73s
                                    Nico / IV3NWV
                                    __________________________________

                                    ---In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, <jurgenb2@...> wrote :

                                    > > Hello Karel, I don't know if the new perseus software version will be a
                                    > great thing. I hope it will, of course.
                                    > > I have to admit that Windows localizations are not my main skills and I
                                    > apologize for this.

                                    Nico,
                                    why don't you tell what font type / size you are using for those specific
                                    buttons.
                                    That gives Karel, and others suffering the same problem, a chance to install
                                    that font on their PC. Perhaps that fixes it.

                                    Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
                                    Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
                                    MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
                                    http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm

                                  • Wolfgang Bueschel_DF5SX
                                    Message 19 of 29 , Nov 8, 2014
                                      re . letter set .fon / .ttf format matter ? or what ?

                                      Never seen such low resolution letter font on various Perseus screen images
                                      in the past,
                                      here in the local ham radio scene - in past 6 years.

                                      It looks like one of the Microsoft? operating system standard letter fonts
                                      (like "arial.ttf" )
                                      on your PC

                                      is overwritten / replaced / or assigned by the

                                      Microsoft system font like "8514oem.fon" ?

                                      which has as similar letter character set image
                                      like visible in your screenshot.

                                      >> substituted by a system font (?) with a very low resolution.

                                      did you have suffered by y virus malware programm in the past ?

                                      73 wb df5sx

                                      In case you have an interest in radio I suggest you right-click on your
                                      desktop and select a smaller screen (with the same height to width ratio)
                                      That would make the Perseus fonts bigger. (as well as everything else)
                                      There would no longer be much screen space for other things...

                                      The obvious drawback is that you would run out of screen space.

                                      I have another solution. I am using loupe spectacles so I can see the
                                      small things on the screen:-) (rather expensive - but very satisfying.)

                                      73

                                      Leif

                                      > Hello Karel, I don't know if the new perseus software version will be a
                                      > great thing. I hope it will, of course.
                                      > I have to admit that Windows localizations are not my main skills and I
                                      > apologize for this.
                                      >

                                      > I must also inform you that the new software release will be a fully
                                      > resizable window but it will still use the same fonts that you already are
                                      > not able to read. When it will be available I strongly suggest you not to
                                      > test it (NOR to buy it) as it could give you the absolutely true
                                      > impression that I've not worked in that direction.
                                      >

                                      > Kind regards,
                                      > Nico / IV3NWV
                                      > __________________________________
                                      > Microtelecom s.r.l. - Pavia di Udine, Italy
                                      >

                                      > ---In perseus_sdr@yahoogroups.com, <RadioRevue@...> wrote :
                                      >
                                      > New Perseus software? Surely a great thing! But ... Hopefully all fonts of
                                      > the GUI will be readable, what is not the case of recent versions (excl.
                                      > 4.0c beta) especially with certain Windows localizations. It was discussed
                                      > here several times but no improvement done yet.
                                      > The old problem was brushed up here today when a fellow DXer visited me
                                      > and looking on the Perseus GUI he said: “That is strange. You have paid
                                      > for it and you cannot read it. Why have not they finished their job?” I
                                      > could not find an answer... I am not the right person to ask.
                                      >
                                      > Karel

                                    • Karel Honzík
                                      Message 20 of 29 , Nov 8, 2014
                                        Thank you very much for all your suggestions. But we have made these “fundamental” steps and tests (Windows settings change etc) already in 2012. At that time it was Alessio Miani of Microtelecom who was involved in the tests and he was really trying to find a solution. His intention was to satisfy everybody. In May 2012 he wrote:
                                        Please contact me directly .......... I will send you a test program to confirm my idea about the font problem.

                                        Later he wrote:
                                        I tried the (really long) route of finding the differences in the Windows registry between working and non-working computers, with no luck. I suppose some software installs those "blocky" fonts and instructs the OS to prefer them instead of the default Perseus fonts (by the way, those are "Arial Rounded MT Bold", "Roman" and "Verdana").

                                        After a couple of tests it looked like Alessio found a solution. He sent me a special test program and it returned a correct picture of the font used for buttons.

                                        After this test Alessio decided to issue v4.0c beta which should fix the problem forever. It really fixed the problem on my computer with the Central European localization of Windows but...! Immediately a number of other users in Europe (and probably also in the US) started to complain because the font problem appeared now on their monitors! That is why Alessio issued another version where he returned the change back and everything returned to the previous state: satisfied majority and unhappy minority. Since that time only v4.0c beta displays a correct shape of button fonts on my PC and on some other computers I know. All newer versions show that ugly font, including an FM+ GUI where probably only one version was issued in the beginning and the problem was not addressed there.

                                        Thank you,
                                        Karel

                                        Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2014 10:09 PM
                                        Subject: [perseus_SDR] Re: new software [1 Attachment]