Perseus repair

  • onkeldonald
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 20, 2013
      Hi @ all,
      can someone help me?
      With my broken Perseus I soldered on a Transistor, the small particles is lost to me. Maybe someone is so cute and looks after times what a Type it was. It was the transistor opposite the 3.3 Volt Regulator beside to the two 4.7k Ohm Resistors.

      Thank you very much

      73 Josef
    • sm2ejb
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 19

        Hi all!

        I had my 2 Perseus receivers hit by the first thunderstorm this year and felt pretty devastated.

        I contacted Cesare at Microtelecom and he promised to have a go at repairing them.

        I got the two receivers back yesterday, connected them again, loaded drivers etc and they both look very good: Receiver noise levels look normal and they do look "as new".

        Hats off for Cesare and the service he is providing to this Community!

        I don't think you can get this kind of attention from many manufacturers these days, and we should be glad
        we chosed Perseus! At least I am!!

        Thanks Cesare and Microtelecom for outstanding service and customer care!

        And of course, I have no connestion whatsoever to Microtelecom, I'm just a happy customer today!

        73

        Arne

        Northern Sweden

      • Barry Williams

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 19
            I am having a problem with my Perseus that I haven't seen before. The
            Perseus works fine with no problems except when other devices seem to
            'knock' the reciever out of service. I have a cheap Radio Shack antenna
            rotator that I bought 8-9 years ago. I unboxed it and used it as a
            temporary rotator for my loop antenna in the attic. Usually when the
            rotator either first begins turning the antenna or right when it stops
            the Perseus suddenly goes into flatline mode. The receiver is not
            working and the spectrum/waterfall are all straight lines. I've tried
            isolating the control unit in a heavy metal file cabinet that is almost
            completely closed up but that doesn't help. Now, with summer here, a
            small desktop fan that seems to be in new condition knocks the radio off
            line when I use the fan switch.

            I've tried using different wall outlets to isolate the devices from the
            Perseus. Nothing works. Does anyone have any ideas? Does this happen to
            anyone else? It would be nice to be able to rotate my antenna without
            quitting the SDR software every time I do.

            Thanks,

            Barry Williams
          • Werner Karn
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 19
              Barry,

              you need to get rid of the spikes when swiching your rotator or fan on or off.

              BR

              Werner

[...]

            • Jurgen Bartels
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 19
                > 'knock' the reciever out of service. I have a cheap Radio Shack antenna
                > rotator that I bought 8-9 years ago. I unboxed it and used it as a
                > temporary rotator for my loop antenna in the attic. Usually when the
                > rotator either first begins turning the antenna or right when it stops
                > the Perseus suddenly goes into flatline mode. The receiver is not

                You need put in a snubber network across the mains switch of the rotor & fan.
                Or buy better quality stuff. :-)

                I got rid of the original rotator controller for the same reason, and created a
                USB variant with zero-crossing triac. Not more spikes, and no more annoying
                mechanical noise.

                Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
                Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
                MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
                http://zeiterfassung.3sdesign.de/station_list.htm supports now HDSDR & XDR-GTK
                http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm
              • sm2ejb
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 19

                  Barry,

                  Yes, it was absolutely worth the repair cost!

                  Normally one would be prepared to pay up to half the cost of a new receiver, if the result is a receiver "as new" again.

                  The cost for my repair was far below that!

                  So, if you do have a problem, you can at least send the faulty receiver to Microtelecom and ask for an estimated price for repair!

                  You will probably not be disappointed!

                  73

                  Arne

                • monitor
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 20
                    Hi,

                    John Collins from SW Oregon posting--I wanted to add my positive review to Arne's repair experience.  Somehow I managed to fry my RF amp, and inductor, and a thyristor in my Perseus--probably forgot to disconnect the antenna during a close lightning strike......

                    Cesare Buzzi at Microtelecom coordinated the entire service process and was very communicative throughout--I never once wondered what was happening.....except with Italy's Customs charges which were 4 times the expected rate (for reasons even Customs could not explain)......but that is not Microtelecom's issue.  The Customer service itself was outstanding!  The actual service time at Microtelecom was quite fast and the shipment durations were pretty reasonable........UPS always does a good job of delivering on time per the delivery date estimate.

                    The cost and effort was entirely worthwhile--Round trip shipping, customs duty and VAT, and repair fees totaled roughly 1/3 the cost of a new receiver --- and I get the benefit of the majority of my circuitry being well burned in (no pun intended).  Unless your radio is reduced to ash, I'd encourage everyone to do repairs through the factory.

                    So, my heart-felt thanks to Cesare and everyone at Microtelecom.

                    best
                    John

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 20
                          Hi Arne,
                          I can relate to your accident, because I also got a lightning hit a week ago. Only other Perseus was lost, but so I won't have one online before it is fixed, I sent it to Nico's address on Thursday. Glad to hear that the service is so good.

                          73, Mauno
                          Eastern Finland

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 21
                            BTW, also the other Perseus didn't install as in the old system: 4.0c didn't find it at all, maybe that is USB brand matter?
                            With 4.1a it works, but often at first start I get:

                            What does this mean? Is it a sign of damage, too? The second start has worked so far.

                            Mauno

                            21.6.2015, 1:10, Mauno Ritola kirjoitti:
[...]

                          • th444de

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 21
                                  Hallo Mauno,
                                  as far as I know some modern PCs do have USB 2.0 outlets, but they are controlled by the USB 3.0 chip in a sort of downwards compatible mode. They do not have separated USB 2.0 chips like the older chpisets. I have seen such a situation in a friend's PC where all the USB 2.0 connectors were enumerated under only one and single USB 3.0 chip.

                                  My old PC board has two Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controllers. They are for USB 2.0 and the Perseus works fine on them (Software 4.1a).
                                  I also have an USB 3.0 eXtensible xHCI Hostcontroller. This one is for USB 3.0 and the Perseus often makes trouble there.

                                  The PC of a friend of mine only has one single USB 3.0 eXtensible xHCI Hostcontroller and ALL USB connections (be it 2.0 or 3.0) are enumerated under this key. I fear that such a PC makes trouble unless you can deactivate something related to USB 3.0 in the BIOS. But in many PCs you can't.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 21
                                        It's a timeout error - the Perseus is on the impatient side if the pc is slow to acknowledge. That's why it works on subsequent attempts.

                                        Regards

                                        Stuart

                                        Sent from my iPad

                                        Message 20 of 26 , Jun 21
                                          I cannot follow why a PC with a 3.7 GHz Quad Core i7 is suddenly slow when the Perseus is operated on a USB 3.0 port while it is fast when the Perseus is on the USB 2.0 socket.
                                          There must be an issue in chipset, USB transfer protocol or drivers on the USB 3.0 side.
                                          The Perseus even works on "slow" Dual Core 2 GHz laptops when on a USB 2.0 socket. A "slow" PC cannot be the culprit.
                                          73s
                                          Henry