USB3 and Back Compatibility

  • tregicom
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
      I have been able to get USB 3 to work with the Perseus on a couple of Win 8 Asus laptops by changing a bios setting.
      One of these machines only has USB 3 ports.

      Before I did this only HF Span would work correctly.  After the change the 4.0c worked properly.  I do not know what bios
      settings others will have available but I would suggest some experimentation in the USB bios settings if you do not have  the
      same settings available to you as on my machines.  How you access the bios is machine and sometimes operating system specific
      so if you do not know how to do this already you will have to do some research.  For most Win 8 machines you can get to the
      bios through advanced start-up.  Google how to access the bios for your machine should get you all the info you need.

      When you get to the USB configuration in the Bios change XHCI Pre-Boot Mode from Auto to Disabled.  Save the change and exit the bios utility.
      This was all I did to get the Perseus up and going with 4.0C on USB 3.0.

      I hope this helps.

      Ken, N0QO

    • Ron Castro
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013

        Ken:  Which ASUS laptop do you have?  I’m running a G75V with Win8 and USB3.  I’ll try your fix today and see if it works!

                         Ron

                   N6IE

            www.N6IE.com

        Member:

                              ARRL

             Redwood Empire DX Assn.

        Northern California Contest Club

        Northern California DX Foundation

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2013

            Wow…it works!  Changing XHCI Pre-Boot Mode from Auto to Disabled in the BIOS of my ASUS laptop fixed the problem and now the Perseus works!  Thanks for the tip, Ken.

                     Ron Castro

            Chief Technical Officer

               Results Radio, LLC

            www.ResultsRadio.com

                          N6IE

                 www.N6IE.com

            http://www.resultsradioadmin.com/site_files/378/Image/sample_images/grouplongv3.jpg

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2013
              Disabling XHCI simply disables the USB3.0 support.
              You will get only USB2.0 ports.
              You can probably check this with a high speed USB3 hard drive, comparing the transfer speed.

              Alessio

              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, ken-long@... wrote:

              > I have been able to get USB 3 to work with the Perseus on a couple of Win 8 Asus laptops by changing a bios setting.
              > One of these machines only has USB 3 ports.
              >

              > Before I did this only HF Span would work correctly. After the change the 4.0c worked properly. I do not know what bios
              > settings others will have available but I would suggest some experimentation in the USB bios settings if you do not have the
              > same settings available to you as on my machines. How you access the bios is machine and sometimes operating system specific
              > so if you do not know how to do this already you will have to do some research. For most Win 8 machines you can get to the
              > bios through advanced start-up. Google how to access the bios for your machine should get you all the info you need.
              >

              > When you get to the USB configuration in the Bios change XHCI Pre-Boot Mode from Auto to Disabled. Save the change and exit the bios utility.
              > This was all I did to get the Perseus up and going with 4.0C on USB 3.0.
              >

              > I hope this helps.
              >

              > Ken, N0QO

            • tregicom
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2013
                I was pretty confident it would. I hope others will now try to make the change. Have fun!

                73,
                Ken N0QO

                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Castro" <ronc@...> wrote:

                > Wow.it works! Changing XHCI Pre-Boot Mode from Auto to Disabled in the BIOS
                > of my ASUS laptop fixed the problem and now the Perseus works! Thanks for
                > the tip, Ken.
                >

                > Ron Castro
                >
                > Chief Technical Officer
                >
                > Results Radio, LLC
                >
                > <http://www.resultsradio.com/> www.ResultsRadio.com
                >

                > N6IE
                >
                > <http://www.n6ie.com/> www.N6IE.com
                >

                > http://www.resultsradioadmin.com/site_files/378/Image/sample_images/grouplon
                > gv3.jpg

              • tregicom
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2013
                  Tim,

                  The key here is to try changing your bios settings if using your Perseus is a priority. There are many other USB 2.0 devices that are not working on USB 3.0 ports as they should. Also check the latest bios updates for your PC as this has some potential to resolve the problem as well.

                  Ken, N0QO

                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Tim Hall <TimHall1@...> wrote:

                  > Very interesting. Those sound like the same symptoms I was experiencing on
                  > a Toshiba laptop last week. Hope this settles down in future versions of
                  > Windows and/or Perseus software. We can't keep trying one laptop after
                  > another until we find one that works... 73, Tim
                  >
                  > On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM, <ken-long@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > I have been able to get USB 3 to work with the Perseus on a couple of Win
                  > > 8 Asus laptops by changing a bios setting.
                  > > One of these machines only has USB 3 ports.
                  > >
                  > > Before I did this only HF Span would work correctly. After the change the
                  > > 4.0c worked properly. I do not know what bios
                  > > settings others will have available but I would suggest some
                  > > experimentation in the USB bios settings if you do not have the
                  > > same settings available to you as on my machines. How you access the bios
                  > > is machine and sometimes operating system specific
                  > > so if you do not know how to do this already you will have to do some
                  > > research. For most Win 8 machines you can get to the
                  > > bios through advanced start-up. Google how to access the bios for your
                  > > machine should get you all the info you need.
                  > >
                  > > When you get to the USB configuration in the Bios change XHCI Pre-Boot
                  > > Mode from Auto to Disabled. Save the change and exit the bios utility.
                  > > This was all I did to get the Perseus up and going with 4.0C on USB 3.0.
                  > >
                  > > I hope this helps.
                  > >
                  > > Ken, N0QO

                • tregicom
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2013
                    I am not likely to run this test since all of my devices are USB 2.0 but you bring up a good point.

                    My goal was to get the Perseus I am using up on my new PC's. I checked this group for info and it seemed many others were having the same problem and there were no published solutions. I found one and published my findings. As with anything of this type it is up to the individuals as to how they proceed.

                    Since there are many USB 2.0 devices that are not working when connected to USB 3.0 ports I will leave my bios settings as they are now until a new bios update is available that also solves the problem. Assuming that even happens.

                    73,
                    Ken N0QO