Windows 8 and PERSEUS

  • barry.davies25@btopenworld.com
    Message 1 of 30 , May 29, 2013
      Will PERSEUS become obsolete when Windows 8 dominate the OPs? Are there plans to deal with this problem?
    • Guido Schotmans
      Message 2 of 30 , May 29, 2013
        It's not W8 Barry. It's usb3 that is the issue here.

        73,

        Guido.

        Message 3 of 30 , May 29, 2013
          I just returned a very nice new laptop because the Perseus software would not run on it. (I got past the "unsigned driver" issue, only to find out the software does not run properly on it at all).

          I wish the makers of Perseus would communicate more. Their web site looks as if they have been out of business for 5 years. That's not good business.

          Problems with Windows 8 are widespread. The clerk at Best Buy told me their Windows 8 computers are being returned at an alarming rate because so many programs just don't run on it. Methinks we will see Windows 9 very soon! Windows 8 is definitely a lemon.

          Even running in XP or Windows 7 compatibility mode does nothing to resolve the problem.

          For now I'm still out of business in terms of mobile operation. My Windows 7 laptop runs the Perseus software fine, but there is a huge noise floor that is not present when I run from my home PC, and the signals themselves are a good 12dBm weaker on the laptop using the exact same antenna (the first symptom is easy to understand but the second symptom makes no sense to me at all). It's so bad that even some of my locals don't rise above the noise floor.

          Running on my home PC the radio works great. Sadly I can't put up a decent antenna at home, so I was really hoping to get going on mobile operation soon.

          73
          Tim Hall
          Hula Vista CA

          From: "barry.davies25@..." <barry.davies25@...>
          Sender: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 14:45:39 -0000
          To: <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [perseus_SDR] Windows 8 and PERSEUS

          Will PERSEUS become obsolete when Windows 8 dominate the OPs? Are there plans to deal with this problem?

        • Rafman®

            Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 14:45:39 -0000

            Will PERSEUS become obsolete when Windows 8 dominate the OPs? Are there plans to deal with this problem?

          • Roelof Bakker
            Message 5 of 30 , May 29, 2013
              Hello Tim,

              I use a Samsung NC10 which runs on XP for mobile work.
              I don't know which antenna you are using, but I am using an active whip.
              Though barely visible at longwave, using a ground stake helps to reduce
              the noise from the computer.

              An other netbook that works ok with the PERSEUS is a Lenovo S10-3.
              My Perseus server runs on it.

              Best regards,
              Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt
            • barry.davies25@btopenworld.com
              Message 6 of 30 , May 29, 2013

                In laymans terms what do you mean by USB3? Do all W8 PCs have USB3 sockets which will not allow proper communication with PERSEUS? If this is indeed the case there should be a bold WARNING on the PERSEUS sales page NICO,

                Message 7 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                  Lenovo S10-3 Review. Alas a little small for my big clumsy fingers.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHGM__pOo8

                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Tim,
                  >
                  > I use a Samsung NC10 which runs on XP for mobile work.
                  > I don't know which antenna you are using, but I am using an active whip.
                  > Though barely visible at longwave, using a ground stake helps to reduce
                  > the noise from the computer.
                  >
                  > An other netbook that works ok with the PERSEUS is a Lenovo S10-3.
                  > My Perseus server runs on it.
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  > Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

                • Werner Karn
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                    Perseus itself is a very good instrument to identifying noise sources. In many cases the switch mode power
                    supply of the laptop is the biggest noise source. Try to find a quite one for your machine. There are huge differences.

                    73,

                    Werner

                    2013/5/29 barry.davies25@... <barry.davies25@...>

                    Lenovo S10-3 Review. Alas a little small for my big clumsy fingers.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHGM__pOo8

                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Tim,
                    >
                    > I use a Samsung NC10 which runs on XP for mobile work.
                    > I don't know which antenna you are using, but I am using an active whip.
                    > Though barely visible at longwave, using a ground stake helps to reduce
                    > the noise from the computer.
                    >
                    > An other netbook that works ok with the PERSEUS is a Lenovo S10-3.
                    > My Perseus server runs on it.
                    >
                    > Best regards,
                    > Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

                  • longwave189
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 29, 2013

                      I just recently bought a refurbished Leonovo Z585 ideapad for mobile dxng with the Perseus and the FM+.  No Noise issues so far after a couple of weeks of testing.  This unit came with Win 7 Home Premium and 2 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports.

                      Keith McGinnis

                      Hingham MA

                      Perseus itself is a very good instrument to identifying noise sources. In many cases the switch mode power
                      supply of the laptop is the biggest noise source. Try to find a quite one for your machine. There are huge differences.

                      73,

                      Werner

                      2013/5/29 barry.davies25@... <barry.davies25@...>

                      Lenovo S10-3 Review. Alas a little small for my big clumsy fingers.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHGM__pOo8

                      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Tim,
                      >
                      > I use a Samsung NC10 which runs on XP for mobile work.
                      > I don't know which antenna you are using, but I am using an active whip.
                      > Though barely visible at longwave, using a ground stake helps to reduce
                      > the noise from the computer.
                      >
                      > An other netbook that works ok with the PERSEUS is a Lenovo S10-3.
                      > My Perseus server runs on it.
                      >
                      > Best regards,
                      > Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

                    • Guido Schotmans
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                        Barry,

                        You can recognise them while they are blue. Look here for an example http://cdn.arstechnica.net/USB_3.0_Motherboard.jpg

                        73,

                        Guido.

                        In laymans terms what do you mean by USB3? Do all W8 PCs have USB3 sockets which will not allow proper communication with PERSEUS? If this is indeed the case there should be a bold WARNING on the PERSEUS sales page NICO,

                        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Guido Schotmans" wrote:

                        > It's not W8 Barry. It's usb3 that is the issue here.
                        >
                        > 73,
                        >
                        > Guido.
                        >

                        > _____

                      • neilkaz
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                          Welcome to the Perseus Yahoo Group, Tim.

                          I am thankful that I bought my laptop before Win 8 came out and have no problems.

                          I think I recall reading here that some users have gotten past issues with Win 8?

                          Anyhow, Nico...it is time for a fix and time to speak up and tell the community what is being done or can be done to make it easy for users with Win 8. Is it Win 8? Is it USB 3?

                          Please fix this and let us know. 73 KAZ

                          >I just returned a very nice new laptop because the Perseus software would not run on it. (I got past the "unsigned driver" issue, only to find out the software does not run properly on it at all).
                          >
                          >I wish the makers of Perseus would communicate more. Their web site looks as if they have been out of business for 5 years. That's not good business.
                          >
                          >Problems with Windows 8 are widespread. The clerk at Best Buy told me their Windows 8 computers are being returned at an alarming rate because so many programs just don't run on it. Methinks we will see Windows 9 very soon! Windows 8 is definitely a lemon.
                          >
                          >Even running in XP or Windows 7 compatibility mode does nothing to resolve the problem.
                          >
                          >For now I'm still out of business in terms of mobile operation. My Windows 7 laptop runs the Perseus software fine, but there is a huge noise floor that is not present when I run from my home PC, and the signals themselves are a good 12dBm weaker on the laptop using the exact same antenna (the first symptom is easy to understand but the second symptom makes no sense to me at all). It's so bad that even some of my locals don't rise above the noise floor.
                          >
                          >Running on my home PC the radio works great. Sadly I can't put up a decent antenna at home, so I was really hoping to get going on mobile operation soon.
                          >
                          >73
                          >Tim Hall
                          >Hula Vista CA

                        • tim_hall_dx
                          Message 12 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                            Interesting. My Lenovo T420 is the one that has the horrible noise floor.

                            Thx Tim

                            Perseus itself is a very good instrument to identifying noise sources. In many cases the switch mode power
                            supply of the laptop is the biggest noise source. Try to find a quite one for your machine. There are huge differences.

                            73,

                            Werner

                            2013/5/29 barry.davies25@... <barry.davies25@...>

                            Lenovo S10-3 Review. Alas a little small for my big clumsy fingers.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHGM__pOo8

                            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@...> wrote:

                            > Hello Tim,
                            >
                            > I use a Samsung NC10 which runs on XP for mobile work.
                            > I don't know which antenna you are using, but I am using an active whip.
                            > Though barely visible at longwave, using a ground stake helps to reduce
                            > the noise from the computer.
                            >
                            > An other netbook that works ok with the PERSEUS is a Lenovo S10-3.
                            > My Perseus server runs on it.
                            >
                            > Best regards,
                            > Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

                          • Werner Karn
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                              may be it has a different power supply

                              Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 16:37:27 +0000 (UTC)

                              I just recently bought a refurbished Leonovo Z585 ideapad for mobile dxng with the Perseus and the FM+.  No Noise issues so far after a couple of weeks of testing.  This unit came with Win 7 Home Premium and 2 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports.

                              Keith McGinnis

                              Hingham MA

                              Perseus itself is a very good instrument to identifying noise sources. In many cases the switch mode power
                              supply of the laptop is the biggest noise source. Try to find a quite one for your machine. There are huge differences.

                              73,

                              Werner

                              2013/5/29 barry.davies25@... <barry.davies25@...>

                              Lenovo S10-3 Review. Alas a little small for my big clumsy fingers.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHGM__pOo8

                              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@...> wrote:

                              > Hello Tim,
                              >
                              > I use a Samsung NC10 which runs on XP for mobile work.
                              > I don't know which antenna you are using, but I am using an active whip.
                              > Though barely visible at longwave, using a ground stake helps to reduce
                              > the noise from the computer.
                              >
                              > An other netbook that works ok with the PERSEUS is a Lenovo S10-3.
                              > My Perseus server runs on it.
                              >
                              > Best regards,
                              > Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

                            • Ron
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                                Guys, I have a laptop running on W8/64 since it's first day release (26 october 2012) and have NO problems running the perseus on i'ts USB2 ports. In fact I have no complaint's at all about W8.

                                On the other hand, I have another laptop (HP) running on W7/64 wich works fine with USB2 and the perseus but via the USB3 ports the perseus will not run.

                                There are issues with the perseus and some USB3 ports but certenly not with W8!

                                I this sheds some light on the matter and this is from my own experience and not from rumours.

                                73' Ron
                                ON2RON

                                > Will PERSEUS become obsolete when Windows 8 dominate the OPs? Are there plans to deal with this problem?

                              • Paul Crankshaw
                                Message 15 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                                  Same here. WIndows 8 with USB2 and 3 ports and no problems using USB2. I hate the W8 "tiles" screen and the first thing I did was install Classic Shell so that it looks like XP.

                                  On 29 May 2013 20:22, Ron <on2ron@...> wrote:

                                  Guys, I have a laptop running on W8/64 since it's first day release (26 october 2012) and have NO problems running the perseus on i'ts USB2 ports. In fact I have no complaint's at all about W8.

                                  On the other hand, I have another laptop (HP) running on W7/64 wich works fine with USB2 and the perseus but via the USB3 ports the perseus will not run.

                                  There are issues with the perseus and some USB3 ports but certenly not with W8!

                                  I this sheds some light on the matter and this is from my own experience and not from rumours.

                                  73' Ron
                                  ON2RON

                                  > Will PERSEUS become obsolete when Windows 8 dominate the OPs? Are there plans to deal with this problem?

                                • Willi Passmann
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                                    I am currently using a Lenovo W520. Before I had a T500. No issues with both of them.
                                    Well, the T500 did not stand a lightning stroke, but that's another story.
                                    There is no increase in noise floor when I change from battery to the PSU.

                                    Did you try to operate the T420 on battery power?

                                    vy 73,
                                    Willi

                                    http://www.radio-portal.org/sdr.html
                                    SDR-Special
                                    http://www.mediafire.com/?2lve8wq6y1ou2
                                    Perseus Databases - Third Party Software Guides & more

                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                                      Guys,

                                      The first step to reducing possible noise from cable is be sure to get braided shield, clear jacket USB cable. I have found many "colored" jacket cables to be very leaky [coarse braid], thus an increase in hash noise...

                                      RE: USB2/3: It has already been said that the Perseus USB drivers DO NOT support USB 3.0 & will require another driver set to be written. I am sure this is in progress.

                                      My personal request is an upgrade to the GUI to allow accomadation of higher resolution displays that are the norm these days, along with a FULL SCREEN option. PLEASE, PLEASE... The tile mentality has gone away a long time ago. I want to use spectral scope in FULL on 22" display. This would allow easier spotting & alleviate the squinting to read small font on high resolution!!!

                                      Thank you Nico & Co. for a great tool of radio State of the Art!!!

                                      73 de Chris K4RAF

                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                                        Paul, no need for installing a classic shell. Just move your 'desktop' tile to the upper left place and when W8 boots up you only have to press the return key, and voila your in the W8 standard desktop screen. I use W8 just as W7 with some minor differences.

                                        To those criticasters, take a little time and learn to work with the OS. In my opinion, the metro style is only intended for touch screen pc's and is an asset, but no disadvantage. Just by pass it as stated above in 1 keystroke.

                                        But we are getting off-topic now. Back to business.

                                        Hey Microtelecom guys, what about a decent USB3 driver that really works???

                                        73' Ron

                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                                          Definitely. It was not significantly better at all. There seemed to be one less noise source if I listened very closely, but the difference was completely insignificant.

                                          The weaker signals (vs. same antenna with Perseus connected to home PC in the same small room) was the more perplexing part. You would swear the attenuator was on, but it wasn't...

                                          Tim

                                          From: Willi Passmann <wpassmann@...>
                                          Sender: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                                          Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 21:50:50 +0200
                                          To: <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
                                          ReplyTo: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                                          Subject: Re: [perseus_SDR] Noise floor, was: Windows 8 and PERSEUS

                                          Message 20 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                                            It's a great receiver but these wild variations in performance from one laptop to the next are just too much to put up with. I'm going to sit on the sidelines and just use this as a home receiver until a true Windows 8 version of the software exists.

                                            73
                                            Tim

                                            From: neilkaz <neilkaz@...>
                                            Sender: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                                            Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 12:16:22 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
                                            To: <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
                                            ReplyTo: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                                            Subject: Re: [perseus_SDR] Windows 8 and PERSEUS

                                            Message 21 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                                              The variations in performance are related to just 2 items [hardware] in my experience: Processor & RAM
                                              I have used the Perseus on no less than 12 computers. The only time it failed to perform flawlessly, it was a case of an under powered CPU or barely enough RAM to run Windows alone.
                                              I will add that none of the machines I tested ran Windows 8. I despise that OS. I honestly don't care if they ever "improve" it, Blue or otherwise. That OS is just TRASH [IMHO], written to control apps & try to catch up to Apple. Too late MS...

                                              73 de Rafman K4RAF

                                              From: neilkaz <neilkaz@...>
                                              Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 12:16:22 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

                                              Welcome to the Perseus Yahoo Group, Tim.

                                              I am thankful that I bought my laptop before Win 8 came out and have no problems.

                                              I think I recall reading here that some users have gotten past issues with Win 8?

                                              Anyhow, Nico...it is time for a fix and time to speak up and tell the community what is being done or can be done to make it easy for users with Win 8. Is it Win 8? Is it USB 3?

                                              Please fix this and let us know. 73 KAZ

                                              >I just returned a very nice new laptop because the Perseus software would not run on it. (I got past the "unsigned driver" issue, only to find out the software does not run properly on it at all).
                                              >
                                              >I wish the makers of Perseus would communicate more. Their web site looks as if they have been out of business for 5 years. That's not good business.
                                              >
                                              >Problems with Windows 8 are widespread. The clerk at Best Buy told me their Windows 8 computers are being returned at an alarming rate because so many programs just don't run on it. Methinks we will see Windows 9 very soon! Windows 8 is definitely a lemon.
                                              >
                                              >Even running in XP or Windows 7 compatibility mode does nothing to resolve the problem.
                                              >
                                              >For now I'm still out of business in terms of mobile operation. My Windows 7 laptop runs the Perseus software fine, but there is a huge noise floor that is not present when I run from my home PC, and the signals themselves are a good 12dBm weaker on the laptop using the exact same antenna (the first symptom is easy to understand but the second symptom makes no sense to me at all). It's so bad that even some of my locals don't rise above the noise floor.
                                              >
                                              >Running on my home PC the radio works great. Sadly I can't put up a decent antenna at home, so I was really hoping to get going on mobile operation soon.
                                              >
                                              >73
                                              >Tim Hall
                                              >Hula Vista CA

                                            • Alberto I2PHD
                                              Message 22 of 30 , May 29, 2013
                                                On 5/29/2013 7:16 PM, neilkaz wrote:

                                                I am not Nico, and cannot speak for him, but I know that the cause of the USB3 incompatibility
                                                has been identified in Microtelecom, and work is in progress to address it.

                                                --
                                                73 Alberto I2PHD
                                              • alx_mtc
                                                Message 23 of 30 , May 30, 2013
                                                  Windows 8 is supported only by the latest version, 4.0c.

                                                  At the moment, we do not plan to have our drivers signed by Microsoft, so disabling the driver signature enforcement on 64 bit OSes will still be required.

                                                  About USB3.0, there is a beta DLL that I sent to some users for beta testing. An official release is in the works, though.

                                                  Alessio

                                                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <on2ron@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hey Microtelecom guys, what about a decent USB3 driver that really works???
                                                  >
                                                  > 73' Ron

                                                • Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , May 30, 2013

                                                    Alessio,

                                                    You can get a certificate yourself, I *think* the price is ~ $450. Here’s a link with more information: http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/165375/windows-driver-signing .

                                                    Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV

                                                    http://v2.sdr-radio.com/

                                                    Windows 8 is supported only by the latest version, 4.0c.

                                                    At the moment, we do not plan to have our drivers signed by Microsoft, so disabling the driver signature enforcement on 64 bit OSes will still be required.

                                                    About USB3.0, there is a beta DLL that I sent to some users for beta testing. An official release is in the works, though.

                                                    Alessio

                                                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <on2ron@...> wrote:

                                                    > Hey Microtelecom guys, what about a decent USB3 driver that really works???
                                                    >
                                                    > 73' Ron

                                                  • Huw
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , May 30, 2013
                                                      I am one of the lucky few that have the beta USB 3 driver, it works in my case. This is on an Acer Aspire S3 ultrabook (the one with the buggy Intel hardware) running Windows 8.

                                                      I would recommend to Microtelecom that this driver is released as a beta to all of us Perseus users. Being a beta for testing it should be taken as such, no complaints just observations.

                                                      Huw
                                                      G7EBP
                                                    • tim_hall_dx
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , May 31, 2013
                                                        There seem to be many people, myself included, who are finding that the software does not run on Windows 8 with USB 2.0, even after we work around the unsigned driver issue.

                                                        73
                                                        Tim
                                                          Windows 8 is supported only by the latest version, 4.0c.

                                                        At the moment, we do not plan to have our drivers signed by Microsoft, so disabling the driver signature enforcement on 64 bit OSes will still be required.

                                                        About USB3.0, there is a beta DLL that I sent to some users for beta testing. An official release is in the works, though.

                                                        Alessio

                                                        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <on2ron@...> wrote:

                                                        > Hey Microtelecom guys, what about a decent USB3 driver that really works???
                                                        >
                                                        > 73' Ron

                                                      • alx_mtc
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 3, 2013
                                                          Hi Tim,

                                                          I don't know about any other user with that problem.
                                                          Which error do you get?

                                                          Alessio

                                                          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, TimHall1@... wrote:

                                                          > There seem to be many people, myself included, who are finding that the software does not run on Windows 8 with USB 2.0, even after we work around the unsigned driver issue.
                                                          >
                                                          > 73
                                                          > Tim
                                                        • tim_hall_dx
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 3, 2013
                                                            The program opens but in a useless state. It does not recognize the radio (but HFSpan does) and when you try to press a button with the mouse it either hangs (Windows "circle" symbol) or ignores the click completely (e.g. when you click the Close button "X", nothing happens). Someone else had similar symptoms.

                                                            Thanks Tim

                                                            From: "alx_mtc" <alessio.miani@...>
                                                            Sender: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                                                            Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 07:30:07 -0000
                                                            To: <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
                                                            ReplyTo: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com

                                                            Hi Tim,

                                                            I don't know about any other user with that problem.
                                                            Which error do you get?

                                                            Alessio

                                                            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, TimHall1@... wrote:

                                                            > There seem to be many people, myself included, who are finding that the software does not run on Windows 8 with USB 2.0, even after we work around the unsigned driver issue.
                                                            >
                                                            > 73
                                                            > Tim

                                                          • Roberto Zinelli
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jun 3, 2013
                                                              Similar symptoms on winxp. HFspan ok Perseus ko.  Disistalling Perseus, DELETE the install folder and reinstall solve the problem.

                                                              My be' a corrupted user1.dat file

                                                              Roberto Zinelli  (IW4ENS)
                                                              Inviato da Phone

                                                              From: "alx_mtc" <alessio.miani@...>
                                                              Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 07:30:07 -0000

                                                              Hi Tim,

                                                              I don't know about any other user with that problem.
                                                              Which error do you get?

                                                              Alessio

                                                              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, TimHall1@... wrote:

                                                              > There seem to be many people, myself included, who are finding that the software does not run on Windows 8 with USB 2.0, even after we work around the unsigned driver issue.
                                                              >
                                                              > 73
                                                              > Tim

                                                            • Huw
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jun 4, 2013
                                                                My be' a corrupted user1.dat file

                                                                Yes I concurr, I had a file from FMSCAN that stopped my Perseus from working, got a new one and all is now OK. It would be better to have a warning message from Perseus but you can't cater for all 'errors' when writing software.

                                                                Huw
                                                                G7EBP