RE: [perseus_SDR] Questions from a Perseus Newbie

  • Bill Nollman
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013

      This doc will tell you how to reduce the CW bandwidth down so low you will be quite happy.

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/OOF2Ue_V62J-5yw7Bcu_WP0SOoMDzJqXfEz8r5jf8gKCMLHAsTecaM1auEoKLpUmRw5Ne4rGv9ybBU-yJoMAa6j8GDfUASI/Perseus%20CW%20bandwidth.docx

      Bill

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
        Hello George,

        The bandwidth can be below the minimum setting of 22 Hz in the registry.
        I will sent you a file direct that tells you how to do it.

        There is also a work around as the memory stores also the bandwidth.
        I am using 6 memory positions with resp. a bandwidth of 6, 10, 12, 16 and
        20 Hz.
        Changing narrow bandwidth can so be done without changing the registry
        settings each time.
        I will sent you my membank11 file, which you van copy to the PERSEUS
        folder.

        The audio delay can be changed under Software Settings.
        Just click on the Microtelecom picto in the upper left corner.
        I have no idea where this can be used for, I had not noted if before.

        73,
        Roelof, pa0rdt
      • Don
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
          Hi George,

          Roelof's file will help you have a set of permanent BW's you can klick
          on. In the mean time you can put your mouse cursor on the edge of the
          filter and drag it to change the width.

          Don KPC6NDB
          Upland, CA
          34.10 -117.63 1250ft
          R-75 w/250Hz 2x R-71A w/250Hz R-70
          Perseus SDR-IQ FUNcube Dongle Pro+
          FRG-100B SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx
          MFJ-784B HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
          PA0RDT Mini-Whip x2 @ 25ft
          RYO Active Antenna @ 25ft
          LFL1010 ALA100L x2

          On 23-Apr-13 12:24, George wrote:

          > I received a new Perseus (software v4.0C) about a week ago and have, to
          > a reasonable degree, familiarized myself with its operation.However two
          > questions remain as concerns the use of the Microtelecom software to run
          > the Perseus:
          >
          > QUESTION #1:In the "/PBT/" mode how does one "... /reduce the bandwidth
          > to virtually zero/"?
          >
          > COMMENT:The preceding quote is from the /Perseus Receiver Users Manual/
          > (v EN14).In the CW mode seemingly the minimum bandwidth I attain is 49
          > Hz while in /USB/LSB/ mode the minimum is 22 Hz.(These values are as
          > read from the entry in the upper left corner of the /BW pane/ when/BW/ =
          > 0.8 kHz and /PBT/ and /NBT/ both checked.)Clearly I am doing something
          > wrong but what?Does some other parameter require setting?
          >
          > QUESTION #2: How does one set the /"... user selectable delay (1 to 30
          > seconds)/ ... "/configurable under the Setting Window/"? Further "...
          > /the button labeled *Fn* ..."/ enables/disables this feature.More
          > particularly, where is the "/Settings window/" to be found?
          >
          > COMMENT:The preceding quotes are from the 12 Feb 2013/Perseus v4.0C
          > Release Notes/. I have found a file of type "/Setup Information/" in the
          > "/PerseusWinUSBDrivers"/ folder but there is no entry for "*/Fn/*" under
          > which, according to the Release Notes, this parameter can be set.I do
          > note that my "/Setup Information/" file is dated 9 Dec 2009, long before
          > software v4.0C became available.Is there a later Driver Folder available
          > that sets */Fn/*?
          >
          > A right click on */Fn/* does nothing but a left click brings a drop-down
          > window listing three choices: "/Time/Mix/Freq/" but clicking on any of
          > these choices disables nothing.(Side question:what is set by each of
          > these choices? The Release Notes are silent on this matter.)
          >
          > Gratuitous Comment: In my view the Perseus SDR is an excellent piece of
          > hardware but the accompanying software leaves a great deal to be
          > desired.Eventually I plan to run this SDR under a different software
          > program.For the present, when an NDB clusters requires unraveling, I
          > kick in /Spectrum Lab/ to control the Perseus and use /SL's/ filters.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any answers/comments/suggestions/web
          > pointers/etc.All will be gratefully received and be much appreciated.
          >
          > 73,George M(N2XM)

        • Don
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
            Dun, I also forgot to say when you put the mouse cursor over the filter
            you can rotate the mouse wheel to change the filter as well.

            On 23-Apr-13 14:09, Don wrote:
            > Hi George,
            >
            > Roelof's file will help you have a set of permanent BW's you can klick
            > on. In the mean time you can put your mouse cursor on the edge of the
            > filter and drag it to change the width.
            >
            > Don KPC6NDB
            > Upland, CA
            > 34.10 -117.63 1250ft
            > R-75 w/250Hz 2x R-71A w/250Hz R-70
            > Perseus SDR-IQ FUNcube Dongle Pro+
            > FRG-100B SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx
            > MFJ-784B HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
            > PA0RDT Mini-Whip x2 @ 25ft
            > RYO Active Antenna @ 25ft
            > LFL1010 ALA100L x2
            >
            > On 23-Apr-13 12:24, George wrote:
            >>

            >> I received a new Perseus (software v4.0C) about a week ago and have, to
            >> a reasonable degree, familiarized myself with its operation.However two
            >> questions remain as concerns the use of the Microtelecom software to run
            >> the Perseus:
            >>
            >> QUESTION #1:In the "/PBT/" mode how does one "... /reduce the bandwidth
            >> to virtually zero/"?
            >>
            >> COMMENT:The preceding quote is from the /Perseus Receiver Users Manual/
            >> (v EN14).In the CW mode seemingly the minimum bandwidth I attain is 49
            >> Hz while in /USB/LSB/ mode the minimum is 22 Hz.(These values are as
            >> read from the entry in the upper left corner of the /BW pane/ when/BW/ =
            >> 0.8 kHz and /PBT/ and /NBT/ both checked.)Clearly I am doing something
            >> wrong but what?Does some other parameter require setting?
            >>
            >> QUESTION #2: How does one set the /"... user selectable delay (1 to 30
            >> seconds)/ ... "/configurable under the Setting Window/"? Further "...
            >> /the button labeled *Fn* ..."/ enables/disables this feature.More
            >> particularly, where is the "/Settings window/" to be found?
            >>
            >> COMMENT:The preceding quotes are from the 12 Feb 2013/Perseus v4.0C
            >> Release Notes/. I have found a file of type "/Setup Information/" in the
            >> "/PerseusWinUSBDrivers"/ folder but there is no entry for "*/Fn/*" under
            >> which, according to the Release Notes, this parameter can be set.I do
            >> note that my "/Setup Information/" file is dated 9 Dec 2009, long before
            >> software v4.0C became available.Is there a later Driver Folder available
            >> that sets */Fn/*?
            >>
            >> A right click on */Fn/* does nothing but a left click brings a drop-down
            >> window listing three choices: "/Time/Mix/Freq/" but clicking on any of
            >> these choices disables nothing.(Side question:what is set by each of
            >> these choices? The Release Notes are silent on this matter.)
            >>
            >> Gratuitous Comment: In my view the Perseus SDR is an excellent piece of
            >> hardware but the accompanying software leaves a great deal to be
            >> desired.Eventually I plan to run this SDR under a different software
            >> program.For the present, when an NDB clusters requires unraveling, I
            >> kick in /Spectrum Lab/ to control the Perseus and use /SL's/ filters.
            >>
            >> Thanks in advance for any answers/comments/suggestions/web
            >> pointers/etc.All will be gratefully received and be much appreciated.
            >>
            >> 73,George M(N2XM)

          • George
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013

              Thanks Bill ... but both of my web browsers (Explorer 9 & Chrome) report that the file "could not be found".  Perhaps you could forward the name of the Yahoo group and the file name.  I could then search directly.  In any event, thanks again.

              73,  George M  (N2XM)

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013

                Thanks Don for your comments.  Much appreciated.  The attachments from Roelof came through satisfactorily but they are in a file format that my computer will not open.  I am confident that I will eventually be able to recover the files - just need sometime to search the internet for hints on how to handle *.DAT and *.DOCX files.

                Thanks again,

                73, George M  (N2XM)

                Roelof's file will help you have a set of permanent BW's you can klick
                on. In the mean time you can put your mouse cursor on the edge of the
                filter and drag it to change the width.

                Don KPC6NDB
                Upland, CA
                34.10 -117.63 1250ft
                R-75 w/250Hz 2x R-71A w/250Hz R-70
                Perseus SDR-IQ FUNcube Dongle Pro+
                FRG-100B SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx
                MFJ-784B HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
                PA0RDT Mini-Whip x2 @ 25ft
                RYO Active Antenna @ 25ft
                LFL1010 ALA100L x2

                On 23-Apr-13 12:24, George wrote:

                > I received a new Perseus (software v4.0C) about a week ago and have, to
                > a reasonable degree, familiarized myself with its operation.However two
                > questions remain as concerns the use of the Microtelecom software to run
                > the Perseus:
                >
                > QUESTION #1:In the "/PBT/" mode how does one "... /reduce the bandwidth
                > to virtually zero/"?
                >
                > COMMENT:The preceding quote is from the /Perseus Receiver Users Manual/
                > (v EN14).In the CW mode seemingly the minimum bandwidth I attain is 49
                > Hz while in /USB/LSB/ mode the minimum is 22 Hz.(These values are as
                > read from the entry in the upper left corner of the /BW pane/ when/BW/ =
                > 0.8 kHz and /PBT/ and /NBT/ both checked.)Clearly I am doing something
                > wrong but what?Does some other parameter require setting?
                >
                > QUESTION #2: How does one set the /"... user selectable delay (1 to 30
                > seconds)/ ... "/configurable under the Setting Window/"? Further "...
                > /the button labeled *Fn* ..."/ enables/disables this feature.More
                > particularly, where is the "/Settings window/" to be found?
                >
                > COMMENT:The preceding quotes are from the 12 Feb 2013/Perseus v4.0C
                > Release Notes/. I have found a file of type "/Setup Information/" in the
                > "/PerseusWinUSBDrivers"/ folder but there is no entry for "*/Fn/*" under
                > which, according to the Release Notes, this parameter can be set.I do
                > note that my "/Setup Information/" file is dated 9 Dec 2009, long before
                > software v4.0C became available.Is there a later Driver Folder available
                > that sets */Fn/*?
                >
                > A right click on */Fn/* does nothing but a left click brings a drop-down
                > window listing three choices: "/Time/Mix/Freq/" but clicking on any of
                > these choices disables nothing.(Side question:what is set by each of
                > these choices? The Release Notes are silent on this matter.)
                >
                > Gratuitous Comment: In my view the Perseus SDR is an excellent piece of
                > hardware but the accompanying software leaves a great deal to be
                > desired.Eventually I plan to run this SDR under a different software
                > program.For the present, when an NDB clusters requires unraveling, I
                > kick in /Spectrum Lab/ to control the Perseus and use /SL's/ filters.
                >
                > Thanks in advance for any answers/comments/suggestions/web
                > pointers/etc.All will be gratefully received and be much appreciated.
                >
                > 73,George M(N2XM)

              • Don
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
                  Hi George,

                  You should be able to copy/cut and paste the .dat file to the same
                  directory as your Perseus.exe program. But first move or temporarily
                  rename any USER1 file you may now have in there. Then start/re-start
                  Perseus and then klick on the USER1 (or what ever name Roelof gave it)
                  bank button in the lower right corner.

                  The .docx file is a MS Word file.

                  Enjoy!

                  On 23-Apr-13 18:41, George wrote:

                  > Thanks Don for your comments.Much appreciated.The attachments from
                  > Roelof came through satisfactorily but they are in a file format that my
                  > computer will not open.I am confident that I will eventually be able to
                  > recover the files - just need sometime to search the internet for hints
                  > on how to handle *.DAT and *.DOCX files.
                  >
                  > Thanks again,
                  >
                  > 73, George M(N2XM)

                • Wolfgang Bueschel
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
                    Document Not Found
                    The document you requested could not be found.

                    May you can store the file as .doc file format of older Office 2003/2007,
                    it's a easy matter on Office WinWord

                    vy73 wb df5sx

                    > This doc will tell you how to reduce the CW bandwidth down so low you will
                    > be quite happy.
                    >
                    > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/OOF2Ue_V62J-5yw7Bcu_WP0SOoMDzJqXfEz8r5jf8gKCMLH
                    > AsTecaM1auEoKLpUmRw5Ne4rGv9ybBU-yJoMAa6j8GDfUASI/Perseus%20CW%20bandwidth.do
                    > cx
                    >
                    > Bill

                  • sm7iym
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2013
                      Hello Roelof,
                      Having hunted down some 800+ NDBs on my Afedri, I' m now eager in getting my new Perseus to help me further down the log.
                      I found your kind bandwith-helping in our Perseus group. And I wonder if I too
                      could receive you file containing memory tweaking and the regisry tweaking...
                      Thank you in advance, I' looking forward to hearing from you!

                      Kind regards
                      Göran / SM7IYM
                      Perseus newbie