Dual or Quad Core Question.

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2013
      I might have put this question out there before but if I did I can't
      find it in my sent box.

      My question is this...Has anyone using the FM+ downconverter done an
      2mhz wide recordings and if so what kind of a processor is computer
      running (specifically laptops)?

      On my i5 quad core desktop at home I have no problem with recordings @
      2mhz wide. Playback is stellar. Last year however I used my souped up
      netbook with dual core 1.6 processor and playback skip and stuttered all
      over the place. Both my desk and netbook have 8 gb of ram.

      I have an upcoming dx trip in June and I'm trying to figure out what to
      buy. Hoping I could use a good i5 or i7 dual core keeping my costs down.

      Thanks

      Keith McGinnis
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2013
        Just a quick followup to my own post. I did find my original post and
        some answers from March. Just checking to see if anyone else has some
        thoughts. Oh and from my earlier post and the responses I do have a
        7200 rpm drive on both my desktop and netbook. I always record to the
        internal drive.

        Thanks again

        Keith

        On 4/11/2013 10:01 PM, Keith wrote:
        > I might have put this question out there before but if I did I can't
        > find it in my sent box.
        >
        > My question is this...Has anyone using the FM+ downconverter done an
        > 2mhz wide recordings and if so what kind of a processor is computer
        > running (specifically laptops)?
        >
        > On my i5 quad core desktop at home I have no problem with recordings @
        > 2mhz wide. Playback is stellar. Last year however I used my souped up
        > netbook with dual core 1.6 processor and playback skip and stuttered all
        > over the place. Both my desk and netbook have 8 gb of ram.
        >
        > I have an upcoming dx trip in June and I'm trying to figure out what to
        > buy. Hoping I could use a good i5 or i7 dual core keeping my costs down.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Keith McGinnis

      • Karel Honzík
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2013
          Keith,
          I have no problem with FM+  2MHz recordings and playback with my i7 dual core (2.9GHz) laptop (RAM = 4GB).

          Karel

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2013
            Karel,

            Thank you for the info. My thinking is that anything right now from and
            i3 or above and 2.3 ghz and above should work.

            Thanks

            Keith