Re: [perseus_SDR] I hate Microsoft

  • Bill Whitacre
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
      Morning Walt. Had the same thing this morning here. Came downstairs to find two computers with the login window up having done an uninvited, automatic reboot after an update of some kind -- you can set it to NOT do that but I forget exactly where it is.

      Anyway, I put in my password and fired up Perseus only to have it come up as if there were no rx plugged in!

      I rebooted and the same thing.

      So I unplugged the Perseus USB cable from the CPU and plugged it back in and viola! Home again.

      Don't know why that was necessary but I'm sure MS had a very good reason for screwing up my operation. ;-))

      ---

      On Apr 11, 2013, at 12:53 AM, Walter Salmaniw wrote:

      > Came home tonight and noticed that my Windows 7 64 bit Asus laptop had re-booted. I'm assuming it's one of those automatic updates. Anyway, no hardware was moved or changed. I boot things back up only to see that the "Perseus Receiver not found. Please check USB connection and retry." OK, is there an easy explanation what happened. I use ESET Smart Security which has never caused any problems before. 73, Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC
    • Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013

        Control Panel, Windows Update, Settings…

        Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV

        http://v2.sdr-radio.com/

        From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill Whitacre

        Morning Walt. Had the same thing this morning here. Came downstairs to find two computers with the login window up having done an uninvited, automatic reboot after an update of some kind -- you can set it to NOT do that but I forget exactly where it is.

      • nickcarr3151
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
          Yes, this setting is easily modified but frankly, I wouldn't touch this... the loss of the Perseus has nothing to do with a reboot. It is more likely to be a hardware glitch with your Asus laptop. Try plugging into a different USB port.

          For those who don't know, the 2nd Tuesday of every month is "Patch Tuesday" and this is when Microsoft sends out its monthly security fixes.

          If keeping your computer up and running is more important than security patches then by all means change the Automatic Update settings to manual control.

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV" <simon@...> wrote:

          > Control Panel, Windows Update, Settings.
          >

          > Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV
          >
          > http://v2.sdr-radio.com/
          >

          > From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On
          > Behalf Of Bill Whitacre
          >
          > Morning Walt. Had the same thing this morning here. Came downstairs to find
          > two computers with the login window up having done an uninvited, automatic
          > reboot after an update of some kind -- you can set it to NOT do that but I
          > forget exactly where it is.

        • Chuck
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
            Walt:

            No reason to assume. If your PC restarted because of an automatic update, it always displays a message (which stays visible) at power up telling you it installed updates and restarted.

            Microsoft allows the user to decide if they wish to automatically install updates. Business users have to have that so that - for example - a PC logging overnight in a laboratory data doesn't shut down.

            As for the loss of USB connectivity, it's hard to imagine it has anything to do with your security software.

            Chuck

            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Walter Salmaniw <canswl@...> wrote:

            > Came home tonight and noticed that my Windows 7 64 bit Asus laptop had
            > re-booted. I'm assuming it's one of those automatic updates. Anyway, no
            > hardware was moved or changed. I boot things back up only to see that the
            > "Perseus Receiver not found. Please check USB connection and retry." OK,
            > is there an easy explanation what happened. I use ESET Smart Security
            > which has never caused any problems before. 73, Walt Salmaniw,
            > Victoria, BC

          • Mauno Ritola
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 12, 2013

              12.4.2013 1:40, nickcarr3151 kirjoitti:

              Yes, this setting is easily modified but frankly, I wouldn't touch this... the loss of the Perseus has nothing to do with a reboot. It is more likely to be a hardware glitch with your Asus laptop.

              See Nick's message about FTDI driver update.

              For those who don't know, the 2nd Tuesday of every month is "Patch Tuesday" and this is when Microsoft sends out its monthly security fixes.

              If keeping your computer up and running is more important than security patches then by all means change the Automatic Update settings to manual control.

              I didn't pay attention if it was Tuesday, but in the beginning I lost a couple of times overnight's recordings due to that. I changed the setting to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download or install them", but even after that Windows 7 had changed the setting by itself to "Install updates automatically". Maybe because of the "note: Windows Update might update itself automatically first when checking for other updates" and so I lost recordings again due to reboot later. I turned off update completely and run updates manually every now and then, when closing the computer. That has worked well for many years without any troubles.

              Mauno

              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV" <simon@...> wrote:

              > Control Panel, Windows Update, Settings.
              >

              > Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV
              >
              > http://v2.sdr-radio.com/
              >

              > From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On
              > Behalf Of Bill Whitacre
              >
              > Morning Walt. Had the same thing this morning here. Came downstairs to find
              > two computers with the login window up having done an uninvited, automatic
              > reboot after an update of some kind -- you can set it to NOT do that but I
              > forget exactly where it is.

            • nickcarr3151
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 12, 2013
                Mauno,

                Yes, I should have been slightly more specific for time zone reasons. The updates are usually available on Tuesday @ 10am Pacific Time -- Seattle, WA. On the automatic update policy, the computer may not actually check for the update until a specific time -- which could be 1am the next morning.

                The possible exceptions are critical security updates that get pushed out immediately.

                Manual control is what I do as well but that's only because I prefer to know what I'm installing.

                FYI -- it's possible that your Automatic Update policy was changed if you connect to a corporate network. The corporate network policy can override your settings without your permission; otherwise, the update policy should never change.

                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Mauno Ritola <Mauno.Ritola@...> wrote:

                > I didn't pay attention if it was Tuesday, but in the beginning I lost a
                > couple of times overnight's recordings due to that. I changed the
                > setting to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download or
                > install them", but even after that Windows 7 had changed the setting by
                > itself to "Install updates automatically". Maybe because of the "note:
                > Windows Update might update itself automatically first when checking for
                > other updates" and so I lost recordings again due to reboot later. I
                > turned off update completely and run updates manually every now and
                > then, when closing the computer. That has worked well for many years
                > without any troubles.
                >
                > Mauno
              • Huw
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 13, 2013
                  To put a positive side to this, after my update all is well.

                  Huw
                  G7EBP