Re: [perseus_SDR] FM + recording question

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
      I found that dual core at 1.6 MHz (early ones at 1.6 to 1.8 MHz) were on the edge of being able to handle the task at hand.  Processor was bumping 100% utilization.

      I would go with an I3 or I5 (or equivalent) Wintel machine, as the I3 I have does not break a sweat.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
        Do not use an extrenal to record to, you will get stuttering.  Record to the local disk and then transfer to external USB drive for archive purposes.

        Jim

        My 2.2 MHz Dual Core with 4 GB memory has no problems recording 2000 kHz to the internal harddisk but stutters a lot to an external HD via USB 2.0.

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Werner Karn wrote:

        > Hello Keith,
        >
        > most likely this is due to the harddisk not being fast enough. If you
        > choose a solid state disk ( SSD ) you
        > shouldn't have a problem.
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Werner
        >
        > 2013/3/3 Keith
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hello all.
        > >
        > > Last summer I was on an FM dx trip and recorded 500 khz, 1mhz and 2 mhz
        > > swaths of the FM band. I used my HP dual core (1.6 ghz) netbook with
        > > 8gb of memory. The recordings were done with both the FM+ software and
        > > Studio 1. Didn't really check the recordings till I got home only to
        > > find that the 1 mhz and 2 mhz recordings were unlistenable. The sound
        > > can only be described as how a CD player sounds when it can't read the
        > > disc properly. Home recordings done on my HP i5 2.67 ghz quad core
        > > desktop are fine at any size.
        > >
        > > My question to anyone in the group is what do you think the minimum
        > > requirements for a laptop might be for recording FM at 2 mhz segments.
        > > I'm going to be purchasing a new laptop soon for this year's FM trip and
        > > I want to make sure the same thing doesn't happen again. So I thought I
        > > would see if anyone has had luck recording FM @ 2mhz segments using a
        > > dual core vs a quad core. Also what type of graphics card, etc.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance.
        > >
        > > Keith McGinnis
        > > Hingham MA

      • Jim