Re: [perseus_SDR] Re: The devastating effect of PLT/Homeplug [6 Attachments]

  • Ciphair
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 25, 2013
      Probably one of those PLC adapters that our lovely former state-telco
      has been dumping on everyone.

      Luckily PLC QRM is a two way street, And it's possible to take action.
      Not the case with some of the QRM I'm battling.

      73,

      On 02/25/2013 10:19 AM, Paul PD0PSB wrote:
      > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Paul PD0PSB included below]
      >
      > Roelof PA0RDT's server seems to be the next PLC victim.
      > Luckily he doesn't care for HF ;-)
      >
      > 73
      > Paul
      > PD0PSB
      >

      > Attachment(s) from Paul PD0PSB
      >
      > 6 of 6 Photo(s)
      >
      > PLC_QRM_25.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/214591513/view>
      > PLC_QRM_25.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/214591513/view>
      > PLC_QRM_21.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/727069632/view>
      > PLC_QRM_21.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/727069632/view>
      > PLC_QRM_18.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/870094999/view>
      > PLC_QRM_18.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/870094999/view>
      > PLC_QRM_14.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/1963982706/view>
      > PLC_QRM_14.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/1963982706/view>
      > PLC_QRM_10.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/1872390750/view>
      > PLC_QRM_10.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/1872390750/view>
      > PLC_QRM_7.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/1813160284/view>
      > PLC_QRM_7.PNG
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perseus_SDR/attachments/folder/1433249528/item/1813160284/view>

    • Guido Schotmans
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 25, 2013
        > Luckily PLC QRM is a two way street, And it's possible to
        > take action.

        Not when it's in the house of one of your unwilling neighbours. And
        unfortunately, these things have often a CE approvement sign. In those cases
        a lot of Telecom regulators are not willing to take action.
        I'm wondering if there is a way to jam those devices.

        73,

        Guido.
      • Ciphair
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 25, 2013
          I found that keying up on them seriously disrupts the communications. I
          luckily don't have PLC QRM at the moment. But when it returns I might
          even look into getting a big amplifier and writing a script to let my
          transmitter hop up and down the shortwaves. Preferably with a bad RF
          ground of course.;)

          And just hope the neighbors give up and switch to WiFi/CAT6.

          73,

          On 02/25/2013 02:28 PM, Guido Schotmans wrote:
          >> Luckily PLC QRM is a two way street, And it's possible to
          >> take action.
          >
          > Not when it's in the house of one of your unwilling neighbours. And
          > unfortunately, these things have often a CE approvement sign. In those cases
          > a lot of Telecom regulators are not willing to take action.
          > I'm wondering if there is a way to jam those devices.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Guido.

        • pd0kcq
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 25, 2013
            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Guido Schotmans" <guidoschotmans@...> wrote:

            > > Luckily PLC QRM is a two way street, And it's possible to
            > > take action.
            >
            > Not when it's in the house of one of your unwilling neighbours. And
            > unfortunately, these things have often a CE approvement sign. In those cases
            > a lot of Telecom regulators are not willing to take action.
            > I'm wondering if there is a way to jam those devices.
            >
            > 73,
            >
            > Guido.
            >You could try to use the noise blanker of the Perseus software. I have reached quite good results in fighting QRM of PLC, but is important to examine thoroughly which setting gives the best results because there are three noise blankers. You could also try to use the spike rejection and the attenuation. When you use the Perseus on your own antenna, you could also consider to use the MJ-1025/6. I could hear most broadcast stations without any pulse noise;there was some more common noise, but I didn't you a proper contra antenna. I'm curious if someone has used Studio 1 against PLC QRM.
            73 de Jos PD0KCQ, Texel Island
          • clement F59465
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 25, 2013
              Hi Paul,

              A real pain here too.
              My solution will make audio recordings 120km 1500m mountain ;-)

              Or use the server...

              73'
              F59465 Clem

              [Attachment(s) from Paul PD0PSB included below]

              --

              73'
              Cordialement

              My channel: F59465swl Youtube
            • Steven M Sherman MD
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013

                Paul

                  I share your wish. I would also like to see some Perseus servers on a regular basis in South America, Africa, Middle East, and Southeast Asia .

                 I will be glad to contribute to this effort if a group can get together. Same thing here. The QRM and QRN here in Los Angeles area is terrible.

                  Plus, after 50 years of ham radio and SWL listening, I have heard just about all I can from this area.

                  Remote operation is what has perked my interest again in this hobby.

                 Regards

                 Steve AA6IO

                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013
                  Hello Paul

                  I'm still waiting for some enterprising person in the UK to come up with a
                  business plan for a service which offers to remotely site your SDR and
                  provide broadband access.
                  The way that urban and also now, suburban noise levels are creeping upwards,
                  remotely sited SDRs have just got to be the way to go.
                  I live on the edge of a rural village and thankfully have a relatively low
                  noise level, when the UK government's promised minimum of 20M broadband
                  finally gets here, I might think about it. :-)

                  73s Tracey G5VU

                  >I hope more servers will become available in rural locations.
                  > More and more servers in urban areas are becoming quite useless.
                  >
                  > I corresponded with our national radio amateur organizations to invest in
                  > a collective effort to make such rural SDR locations available. I even
                  > offered my own hardware for free.
                  > affected by QRM.
                  >
                  > Ham radio organizations offer thousands of VHF/UHF repeater locations
                  > throughout the world, while nobody seems interested in organizing clean
                  > reception locations for HF.
                  > I don't understand this.
                  >
                  > It seems not many are aware yet that clean HF reception is becoming a very
                  > rare but vital aspect of this hobby. For this Perseus is a fantastic and
                  > essential tool.
                  >
                  > 73
                  > Paul
                  > PD0PSB

                • Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013

                    Tracey,

                    I was thinking along these lines, however all the houses on my ‘must see’ list in Cornwall have poor (< 1.5 MB/s) internet. I’m aware of clubs buying three or four SDRs, locating them remotely but not too far away and the members of the clubs accessing these SDRs. My possible new QTH would be a few miles away from a very fine location with fibre, so I could set up a nice public-access solution with ‘stonking’ access speeds. FWIW my service currently supports 10 simultaneous radios.

                    I don’t think we need a business plan – just one of ‘us’ to get going…

                    Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV

                    http://v2.sdr-radio.com/

                    From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tracey Gardner

                    I'm still waiting for some enterprising person in the UK to come up with a
                    business plan for a service which offers to remotely site your SDR and
                    provide broadband access.

                  • Tracey Gardner
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013
                      Hello Simon

                      Are you not aware of the UK government's "pledge" to ensure that 90% of the country gets a minimum of 20M broadband, by providing fibre to the cabinet (FTTC)? Funding has already been allocated on a county by county basis and the contracts have gone out to tender.
                      There was only one bid to do the provision in Lincolnshire and that of course was BT Openreach :-)
                      You should be able to find out fairly easily what the current situation is in Cornwall

                      73s Tracey G5VU

                      From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tracey Gardner

                      I'm still waiting for some enterprising person in the UK to come up with a
                      business plan for a service which offers to remotely site your SDR and
                      provide broadband access.

                      No virus found in this message.

                    • Markus Schleutermann
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013

                        Nothing new under the sun, a similar site in a rural zone already exists in Switzerland for years now. Interested hams may install their SDR's or other receivers and share professional grade antennas, eg. Logper, active Loops etc and a broadband internet connection with fibre backbone. But most of people prefer to listen on a lousy wire in the middle of noise and to complain about poor reception conditions, rather than sharing a top class site:-( They didn't recognize the potential of modern technologies and prefer to insist on nonsense-highspeed-telegraphy events and operating old military junk-equipment with awfull signal spectrums etc.

                        73 de Mark, HB9AZT

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013

                          Markus,

                          Your site costs CHF 720 a year, that’s GBP 500 in proper money. Mind you, in a country which charges CHF 120 a year for the annual licence (GBP 80) . UK hams are not wealthy enough for this…

                          We have quite a few good free web-based SDR in the UK and will no doubt add more over the next few years, maybe my Perseus (*) will land there.

                          Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV

                          http://v2.sdr-radio.com/

                          (*) Actually my Perseus belongs to SSB Electronik.

                          From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Markus Schleutermann

                          Nothing new under the sun, a similar site in a rural zone already exists in Switzerland for years now. Interested hams may install their SDR's or other receivers and share professional grade antennas, eg. Logper, active Loops etc and a broadband internet connection with fibre backbone. But most of people prefer to listen on a lousy wire in the middle of noise and to complain about poor reception conditions, rather than sharing a top class site:-( They didn't recognize the potential of modern technologies and prefer to insist on nonsense-highspeed-telegraphy events and operating old military junk-equipment with awfull signal spectrums etc.

                        • Jurgen Bartels
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013
                            > and a broadband internet connection with fibre backbone. But most of people
                            > prefer to listen on a lousy wire in the middle of noise and to complain about
                            > poor reception conditions, rather than sharing a top class site:-( They didn't
                            > recognize the potential of modern technologies and prefer to insist on
                            > nonsense-highspeed-telegraphy events and operating old military junk-equipment
                            > with awfull signal spectrums etc.

                            I guess nothing beats your own antenna, even if it is bad.

                            Server usage here has gone down dramatically since its creation. So the novelty
                            has worn off, and DXers return to their own antenna. Only exception: servers at
                            new and rare loacations

                            Further it's frustrating for sever providers to see clients without clear name
                            and QTH. Instead clients use aliases. Those are definitely not welcome here and
                            are blocked. Go and use your own antenna.

                            Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
                            Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
                            MW: 300m Bev 260°, 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
                          • Markus Schleutermann
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013

                              Hi Simon

                              That's the annual fee for the radiohill, another site with time sharing  tx-facilities provided by the site owner. The "RX-Kurheim" (receive only site with individual equipment) is cheaper.

                              Starting from the day  I will find a free internet provider, free electric power, free insurances,  free delivery of all the antennas, radios and other hardware, a sponsoring landlord and a free maintenance crew everything will be free up there:-) Probably you are in the lucky situation that a lot of sponsors knocked at the doors of these UK-SDR-Operators:-)

                              The same ridiculous discussions take place by new members of our radioclub which operates also a remote for a yearly membership fee of CHF 100.-…

                              There is an american group offering their remotes for USD 5000 a year.

                              When discussing remote prices always consider the costs of establishing your own radio site and the time you invest for build-up and maintenance.

                              73 de Mark, HB9AZT

                              From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Markus Schleutermann

                              Nothing new under the sun, a similar site in a rural z one already exists in Switzerland for years now. Interested hams may install their SDR's or other receivers and share professional grade antennas, eg. Logper, active Loops etc and a broadband internet connection with fibre backbone. But most of people prefer to listen on a lousy wire in the middle of noise and to complain about poor reception conditions, rather than sharing a top class site:-( They didn't recognize the potential of modern technologies and prefer to insist on nonsense-highspeed-telegraphy events and operating old military junk-equipment with awfull signal spectrums etc.

                            • KGB
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013
                                Hello,

                                OK that the device has a CE label, but does it really meet the CE requirements? I don't know if a private person can ask for the EMC test protocols that shall be in the Technical File, that contains all relevant CE documentation. Maybe you know this already but CE is a self assessment "certification" and tests don't have to be performed at an acredited lab. Maybe our national ham clubs can ask to see the EMC test reports? There are probably a lot of stuff out there that seem to be CE certified but is not with ordinary CE label or CE (China Export) label.

                                73 / Kjell-Göran SM4GRP

                                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Guido Schotmans" <guidoschotmans@...> wrote:

                                > > Luckily PLC QRM is a two way street, And it's possible to
                                > > take action.
                                >
                                > Not when it's in the house of one of your unwilling neighbours. And
                                > unfortunately, these things have often a CE approvement sign. In those cases
                                > a lot of Telecom regulators are not willing to take action.
                                > I'm wondering if there is a way to jam those devices.
                                >
                                > 73,
                                >
                                > Guido.

                              • pbij2001
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013
                                  Hi Kjell-Göran,

                                  Our "free" markets have become self-regulated.
                                  That means anything can be sold.

                                  EMC legislation is in the hands of paid lobbyists.
                                  EU sings & dances for them.

                                  See:
                                  http://cq-cq.eu/DJ5IL_rt004e.pdf
                                  http://cq-cq.eu/DJ5IL_rt005e.pdf

                                  73!
                                  Paul
                                  PD0PSB

                                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "KGB" <kg.bergendahl@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello,
                                  >
                                  > OK that the device has a CE label, but does it really meet the CE requirements? I don't know if a private person can ask for the EMC test protocols that shall be in the Technical File, that contains all relevant CE documentation. Maybe you know this already but CE is a self assessment "certification" and tests don't have to be performed at an acredited lab. Maybe our national ham clubs can ask to see the EMC test reports? There are probably a lot of stuff out there that seem to be CE certified but is not with ordinary CE label or CE (China Export) label.
                                  >
                                  > 73 / Kjell-Göran SM4GRP
                                  >

                                  > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Guido Schotmans" <guidoschotmans@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > Luckily PLC QRM is a two way street, And it's possible to
                                  > > > take action.
                                  > >
                                  > > Not when it's in the house of one of your unwilling neighbours. And
                                  > > unfortunately, these things have often a CE approvement sign. In those cases
                                  > > a lot of Telecom regulators are not willing to take action.
                                  > > I'm wondering if there is a way to jam those devices.
                                  > >
                                  > > 73,
                                  > >
                                  > > Guido.

                                • Mauno Ritola
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013
                                    Yes, I suppose it requires some attitude change to use others' rx & antenna, possibly far from home for DX. But some like it already. I haven't noticed much decline in usage here, but I suppose there is 'too much' supply in Central Europe. It would probably be good to include something about the best features for the specific rx, which fq span and in directional antenna: to where. And a receiver being offered for a short time can easily be missed. Also an idea for Nico and team: the map could run a continuous list of lately added servers, that would help in noticing.

                                    I couldn't agree more about hiding client names, I also block them. Could the text be replaced with "Name or call" instead of nickname. I don't understand the need for secrecy. Are they all using a cracked version of Perseus software after 60 days?

                                    73, Mauno
                                    Joensuu, Finland

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013
                                      A field for an email contact would also be interesting.  Often there are servers that doesn't work (like the one in Algeria today) but there is no way to inform the owner.
                                      I also proposed to rename the IP address field in such a way that it is more clear that this can be used for antenna information.  It isn't used (anymore) for connecting.

                                      73,

                                      Guido.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013
                                        And it looks like the one in Algeria is cheating us.  His IP address is from Ile-de-France, Paris.

                                        Guido.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013
                                          Thanks, Guido, I missed that. No wonder email isn't given ...

                                          Mauno

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013
                                            I'm taking that back. Sorry. It seems that not all IP search machines agree that it is coming from Paris. Some really say Algiers.

                                            Guido.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 26, 2013
                                              Being in the USA I do not have the bother of PTL/Homeplug misery, at least not yet. I have traced down many bothersome RFI sources in my area and thankfully there are some co-operative people out there! Here is an email from a fellow who works with all sorts of power companies concerning RFI....

                                              Hey Rod,

                                              I’m sorry for not replying sooner, I’m working for another power co that sounds a lot like uppco and when I saw your message I thought it was another one of their customers. They are on the attack and I’m in the middle!
                                              I think the last time I worked for them it was in Houghton at their office building. do you have any contact information for Rod or anyone else? I’m due to make some rounds in the North.
                                              Let me know how things go with them and when you reply send your telephone #s

                                              Best wishes,

                                              Michael C. Martin

                                              RFI Services

                                              6469 Old Solomons Island Rd

                                              Tracys Landing, MD 20779

                                              www.rfiservices.com

                                              240-508-3760

                                              Not sure if he can help but he does have a good reputation. He works with the ARRL quite a bit and most of his work is with the power companies.

                                              73 Rod KB8DNS

                                              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "plebian99" <plebian99@...> wrote:

                                              > Exactly a total disaster for HF.
                                              >
                                              > These are legal jammers. With wires connected to these homeplug devices there is going to be bleed over into all the ham bands. The notches are not good enough to stop interference from ruining weak signal DX reception.
                                              >
                                              > What I dont understand is this. Once you notch out the ham bands, aeronautical, marine and military HF frequencies the system does not work well. SO why legalize these devices at all?
                                              >
                                              > The governments are really allowing amateur radio to be destroyed by stealth. They know exactly what the impact that these devices are going to have on HF.
                                              >
                                              > John
                                              >
                                              > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Paul PD0PSB <pd0psb@> wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > > Hi,
                                              > >
                                              > > This evening I took some pictures from DJ5DT's server.
                                              > >
                                              > > Have a look what PLT/Homeplug does to all except the notched bands.
                                              > >
                                              > > Now that Cenelec draft pr-EN50561 received a "yes" vote from all stakeholders (even the IARU R1!), this will soon be a legal way to (ab)use HF.
                                              > >
                                              > > 73
                                              > > Paul
                                              > > PD0PSB

                                            • Paul PD0PSB
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 13, 2014
                                              Another PLT victim.
                                              RDJPP server The Hague.
                                              See the clear ham band notching (and horrible rubbish surrounding them...)

                                              73
                                              Paul
                                              PD0PSB