Re: Version 1.0F No Playback

  • Sylvain Naud
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
      I have my Perseus a little more than a week now. My laptop is a
      modest Compaq Presario V5000 with a Sempron 3300+ 1,6 Ghz processor
      and 896mb of RAM. I don't have any third party software for the
      Perseus installed yet. I also experiment playback problems with
      software 1.0f at any bandwidth. It start and freezes right away. I
      don't need to restart Perseus. I can just click on the Perseus button
      and listen to the radio. I've downloaded, thank's to Ken Blair,
      version 1.0 and the problem has been fixed but unfortunatly, with
      less features than the 1.0f version. I'm hoping too that the next
      version could solve this little bug.

      Sylvain
      Portneuf, QC
      CAN

      > A lot of people, me included, have been unable to play back 800 kHz
      > recordings using Version 1.0F (I did not try narrower bandwidths).
      > Having the "required 2.5 GHz or greater duo core etc. has not
      seemed to
      > matter. With some computers, 1.0F simply won't play back 800 kHz
      > recordings. Moreover, the few times I was able to play back 800
      kHz
      > recordings I got annoying pops and clicks. Bummer. So I went back
      > using 1.0E which had only occasional hesitations using High
      Priority.

      > Recently, based on experiences of a friend, I bought a mint Dell
      D620
      > with duo 2.0 GHz core and 1 GB RAM. While my friend experienced no
      > glitches, I did experience occasional hesitations with E and F, but
      at
      > least F did not refuse to play back recordings. The OS was Vista
      > Business and the HD was 80 GB. I pulled that HD and installed a
      320 GB
      > HD with XP Pro SP2. Being inexprienced, it took me some time to
      > download all the required drivers from Dell support, but but after
      that
      > was done, the D620 w/ XP Pro SP2 performed flawlessly with 1.0F...
      no
      > hesitations, it played back every time, etc.
      >
      > That got me to thinking about my T61 w/ 2.5 GHz duo core etc. which
      > mostly would not play back 800 kHz recordings. Maybe it was
      drivers?
      > So I installed the latest audio and mouse (UltraNav) drivers and
      > utilities. Nope. Well almost. The pops and clicks were gone from
      > 1.0F, when I could play back, but 1.0F would almost never play back
      800
      > kHz recordings. As I was falling asleep last night the thought
      > occurred that maybe 1.0F playback problem was still still due to
      the
      > T61 mouse. Never mind the 1.0E works fine with the T61, except for
      > occasional hesitations. So when I arose this morning I
      reconfigured my
      > Griffin PowerMate so that pressing down on the knob emulated a left
      > click. Lo and behold 1.0F now plays back 800 kHz recordings almost
      > flawlessly on my T61 when I left click the Perseus "start playback"
      > button with the PowerMate instead of using the T61 left click
      button.
      > Rarely playback will not start even though the playback button is
      lit,
      > in which case I use PowerMate to left click on the pause/stop
      button,
      > an and then click the playback button again (in which case playback
      has
      > always started for me with my T61).
      >
      > Maybe this will give Nico a hint on how to fix the 1.0F playback
      > problem.
      >
      > Or in lieu of that, you can buy a PowerMate. BTW, I installed
      > PowerMate using the latest driver downloaded from the web.

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
        Hi,

        I have done some tests with 1.0f on two PCs one Intel the other AMD.
        From what I can see if I install 1.0f to its own folder (I have all
        versions from beta 0.2) and run it with a clean registry and the
        defaults and choose 1040Khz as the CF and 800Khz then record for
        10mins on either machine and play that file back I can jump from
        anywhere to anywhere in the playback stream with no issues.

        Both machines have a 5.1 and 5.5 rating in Vistas control panel
        applet. One is a Q6600 with 2GB of ram on a Gigabyte board and the
        other an 4800x2 again on a Gigabyte board with 2GB of ram.

        Both versions of Vista are clean installs with SP1 and anything from
        Windows Update. NOTE: no third party drivers are loaded at all. That's
        the motherboard on its own using Vistas drivers.

        The USB drivers loaded are the Powermate USB know and Perseus.

        Graphics are 8600GT cards both PCI-E and the hard drives are the same
        640 GB Western Digital WD6400AAKSs. The WRITE cache is enabled on both
        drives - (in Vista -> drive properties -> advanced performance) * only
        do this if you don't mind data loss during a power out or have a UPS.

        Setup wise they are both the defaults for the board and Vista. Power
        saving in Vista set to "performance" from "balanced".

        UAC is set to "quiet" mode and the users are standard "Administrators".

        Perseus is started with the right click -> run as administrator.

        The WAV files recorded on either machine playback on the other with no
        issues or drop outs. Audio latency is the default of 9.

        The audio codecs are ALC888's driven using digital out to a pair of
        SP/DIF monitor speakers.

        For audio tests the retail version of VAC 4.8.0.1455 is installed.

        During recording on both dual and quad core machines CPU is at 30~35%.
        Kernel memory usage is 21mb for the application. During playback the
        CPU drops to 25~30% and memory stays the same. I assume GC is not done
        unless the program is closed and reopened.

        Sys-Internals PE tools shows no difference between the two machines
        when recording or playing back. FileMon and RegMon report the same
        information (bar the odd driver name here and there between AMD and
        INTEL).

        My next tests will be on some hardware from HP and a new COMPAQ laptop
        once PC World get to delivering them ...

        I hope this helps anyone with issues. I suspect third party drivers or
        BIOS or hardware that just does not like working together. Perseus
        *does* put a load on the machine when really busy BUT properly running
        hardware does not show any of the issues mentioned in the group.

        The machine specifications if anyone one wants them can email and I
        will send over the parts lists.

        Vista plays nice if set up on something it was made to run on properly
        - don't always believe the "salesman" when he says it will run Vista!

        Regards,

        Steve

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvain Naud" <esnaud@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > Griffin PowerMate so that pressing down on the knob emulated a left
        > > click. Lo and behold 1.0F now plays back 800 kHz recordings almost
        > > flawlessly on my T61 when I left click the Perseus "start playback"
        > > button with the PowerMate instead of using the T61 left click
        > button.
        > > Rarely playback will not start even though the playback button is
        > lit,
        > > in which case I use PowerMate to left click on the pause/stop
        > button,
        > > an and then click the playback button again (in which case playback
        > has
        > > always started for me with my T61).
        > >
        > > Maybe this will give Nico a hint on how to fix the 1.0F playback
        > > problem.
        > >
        > > Or in lieu of that, you can buy a PowerMate. BTW, I installed
        > > PowerMate using the latest driver downloaded from the web.

      • Leif Asbrink
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
          Hi All,

          I have announced Linrad and various things one can do with it
          on this list many times by now. I can not say there was much
          response........

          Files recorded on the Perseus HF receiver at a sampling rate
          of 1MHz play well in Linrad on all sorts of computers. With
          what I would call normal parameters I can play for example
          K4RKM_04032008_550_1350.wav on an AMD Athlon at 850 MHz on
          a computer running Windows 2000. I have tested XP on a
          couple of laptors and 2K on faster stationary machines
          and all is well.

          Getting Linrad running with Perseus under Windows is trivial.
          At least with 2K and XP. Learning how to use Linrad in an
          optimum way is however not trivial, but there is support in
          case you find difficulties. Just send a question to the
          Linrad mailing list. You can find it on this page:
          http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/linrad.htm
          where you can also find the latest version of Linrad.

          I have had no report whether Linrad works under Vista.
          Most users are under Linux, but since there is no
          Linux driver for Perseus, this excellent hardware can be
          run with Linrad under Microsoft only. I would be interested
          to know if anyone tested Linrad under Vista.

          73

          Leif / SM5BSZ
        • Udo Deutscher
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
            Hi

            Leif Asbrink wrote:
            > Most users are under Linux, but since there is no
            > Linux driver for Perseus, this excellent hardware can be
            > run with Linrad under Microsoft only. I would be interested

            It is really a shame that there is no Linux driver for Perseus. This is
            the main reason why my Perseus is lying in a corner of the shack for a
            few months already without being used even one time.

            My laptop is running under Linux almost all time and I don't like to
            reboot into Windows (and not being able to do my other work) just to use
            it for the receiver.

            Maybe I should sell my mainly unused Perseus and wait for another
            receiver with better support = which will _have_ drivers for Linux? :-(

            73
            Udo, DL3GN
          • dr_deepam
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
              welche linux-distri hast du udo... ich bin ja perseus besitzer und
              muss (oh graus) fuer diesen zweck auch meinen bootloader noetigen.
              ich muss sagen - und das ist auch der grund meines anschreibens - ich
              habe echt wenige militante linuxer getroffen und freue mich wieder
              einen gefunden zu haben. respekt!
              (ich benutze fast auf all meinen rechnern openbsd 4.3 - mit einer
              ausnahme, da ist freebsd 7.0 drauf - und kenne diese verzwickte
              situation, mit hardwareunterstuetzung, sehr gut...)
              viele gruesse

              micha

              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Udo Deutscher <udo.deutscher@...>