Re: Version 1.0F No Playback

  • Nico iv3nwv
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
      Thanks for reporting your experience in detail, Dallas.

      > Maybe this will give Nico a hint on how to fix the 1.0F playback
      > problem.

      Someway it does. I'll try to improve the playback logic so that it
      can't simply stop for reasons related to the OS scheduler or to other
      underlaying software and drivers.

      Nico
    • Sylvain Naud
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
        I have my Perseus a little more than a week now. My laptop is a
        modest Compaq Presario V5000 with a Sempron 3300+ 1,6 Ghz processor
        and 896mb of RAM. I don't have any third party software for the
        Perseus installed yet. I also experiment playback problems with
        software 1.0f at any bandwidth. It start and freezes right away. I
        don't need to restart Perseus. I can just click on the Perseus button
        and listen to the radio. I've downloaded, thank's to Ken Blair,
        version 1.0 and the problem has been fixed but unfortunatly, with
        less features than the 1.0f version. I'm hoping too that the next
        version could solve this little bug.

        Sylvain
        Portneuf, QC
        CAN

        > A lot of people, me included, have been unable to play back 800 kHz
        > recordings using Version 1.0F (I did not try narrower bandwidths).
        > Having the "required 2.5 GHz or greater duo core etc. has not
        seemed to
        > matter. With some computers, 1.0F simply won't play back 800 kHz
        > recordings. Moreover, the few times I was able to play back 800
        kHz
        > recordings I got annoying pops and clicks. Bummer. So I went back
        > using 1.0E which had only occasional hesitations using High
        Priority.

        > Recently, based on experiences of a friend, I bought a mint Dell
        D620
        > with duo 2.0 GHz core and 1 GB RAM. While my friend experienced no
        > glitches, I did experience occasional hesitations with E and F, but
        at
        > least F did not refuse to play back recordings. The OS was Vista
        > Business and the HD was 80 GB. I pulled that HD and installed a
        320 GB
        > HD with XP Pro SP2. Being inexprienced, it took me some time to
        > download all the required drivers from Dell support, but but after
        that
        > was done, the D620 w/ XP Pro SP2 performed flawlessly with 1.0F...
        no
        > hesitations, it played back every time, etc.
        >
        > That got me to thinking about my T61 w/ 2.5 GHz duo core etc. which
        > mostly would not play back 800 kHz recordings. Maybe it was
        drivers?
        > So I installed the latest audio and mouse (UltraNav) drivers and
        > utilities. Nope. Well almost. The pops and clicks were gone from
        > 1.0F, when I could play back, but 1.0F would almost never play back
        800
        > kHz recordings. As I was falling asleep last night the thought
        > occurred that maybe 1.0F playback problem was still still due to
        the
        > T61 mouse. Never mind the 1.0E works fine with the T61, except for
        > occasional hesitations. So when I arose this morning I
        reconfigured my
        > Griffin PowerMate so that pressing down on the knob emulated a left
        > click. Lo and behold 1.0F now plays back 800 kHz recordings almost
        > flawlessly on my T61 when I left click the Perseus "start playback"
        > button with the PowerMate instead of using the T61 left click
        button.
        > Rarely playback will not start even though the playback button is
        lit,
        > in which case I use PowerMate to left click on the pause/stop
        button,
        > an and then click the playback button again (in which case playback
        has
        > always started for me with my T61).
        >
        > Maybe this will give Nico a hint on how to fix the 1.0F playback
        > problem.
        >
        > Or in lieu of that, you can buy a PowerMate. BTW, I installed
        > PowerMate using the latest driver downloaded from the web.

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 9, 2008
          Hi,

          I have done some tests with 1.0f on two PCs one Intel the other AMD.
          From what I can see if I install 1.0f to its own folder (I have all
          versions from beta 0.2) and run it with a clean registry and the
          defaults and choose 1040Khz as the CF and 800Khz then record for
          10mins on either machine and play that file back I can jump from
          anywhere to anywhere in the playback stream with no issues.

          Both machines have a 5.1 and 5.5 rating in Vistas control panel
          applet. One is a Q6600 with 2GB of ram on a Gigabyte board and the
          other an 4800x2 again on a Gigabyte board with 2GB of ram.

          Both versions of Vista are clean installs with SP1 and anything from
          Windows Update. NOTE: no third party drivers are loaded at all. That's
          the motherboard on its own using Vistas drivers.

          The USB drivers loaded are the Powermate USB know and Perseus.

          Graphics are 8600GT cards both PCI-E and the hard drives are the same
          640 GB Western Digital WD6400AAKSs. The WRITE cache is enabled on both
          drives - (in Vista -> drive properties -> advanced performance) * only
          do this if you don't mind data loss during a power out or have a UPS.

          Setup wise they are both the defaults for the board and Vista. Power
          saving in Vista set to "performance" from "balanced".

          UAC is set to "quiet" mode and the users are standard "Administrators".

          Perseus is started with the right click -> run as administrator.

          The WAV files recorded on either machine playback on the other with no
          issues or drop outs. Audio latency is the default of 9.

          The audio codecs are ALC888's driven using digital out to a pair of
          SP/DIF monitor speakers.

          For audio tests the retail version of VAC 4.8.0.1455 is installed.

          During recording on both dual and quad core machines CPU is at 30~35%.
          Kernel memory usage is 21mb for the application. During playback the
          CPU drops to 25~30% and memory stays the same. I assume GC is not done
          unless the program is closed and reopened.

          Sys-Internals PE tools shows no difference between the two machines
          when recording or playing back. FileMon and RegMon report the same
          information (bar the odd driver name here and there between AMD and
          INTEL).

          My next tests will be on some hardware from HP and a new COMPAQ laptop
          once PC World get to delivering them ...

          I hope this helps anyone with issues. I suspect third party drivers or
          BIOS or hardware that just does not like working together. Perseus
          *does* put a load on the machine when really busy BUT properly running
          hardware does not show any of the issues mentioned in the group.

          The machine specifications if anyone one wants them can email and I
          will send over the parts lists.

          Vista plays nice if set up on something it was made to run on properly
          - don't always believe the "salesman" when he says it will run Vista!

          Regards,

          Steve

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvain Naud" <esnaud@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Griffin PowerMate so that pressing down on the knob emulated a left
          > > click. Lo and behold 1.0F now plays back 800 kHz recordings almost
          > > flawlessly on my T61 when I left click the Perseus "start playback"
          > > button with the PowerMate instead of using the T61 left click
          > button.
          > > Rarely playback will not start even though the playback button is
          > lit,
          > > in which case I use PowerMate to left click on the pause/stop
          > button,
          > > an and then click the playback button again (in which case playback
          > has
          > > always started for me with my T61).
          > >
          > > Maybe this will give Nico a hint on how to fix the 1.0F playback
          > > problem.
          > >
          > > Or in lieu of that, you can buy a PowerMate. BTW, I installed
          > > PowerMate using the latest driver downloaded from the web.

        • Leif Asbrink
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
            Hi All,

            I have announced Linrad and various things one can do with it
            on this list many times by now. I can not say there was much
            response........

            Files recorded on the Perseus HF receiver at a sampling rate
            of 1MHz play well in Linrad on all sorts of computers. With
            what I would call normal parameters I can play for example
            K4RKM_04032008_550_1350.wav on an AMD Athlon at 850 MHz on
            a computer running Windows 2000. I have tested XP on a
            couple of laptors and 2K on faster stationary machines
            and all is well.

            Getting Linrad running with Perseus under Windows is trivial.
            At least with 2K and XP. Learning how to use Linrad in an
            optimum way is however not trivial, but there is support in
            case you find difficulties. Just send a question to the
            Linrad mailing list. You can find it on this page:
            http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/linrad.htm
            where you can also find the latest version of Linrad.

            I have had no report whether Linrad works under Vista.
            Most users are under Linux, but since there is no
            Linux driver for Perseus, this excellent hardware can be
            run with Linrad under Microsoft only. I would be interested
            to know if anyone tested Linrad under Vista.

            73

            Leif / SM5BSZ
          • Udo Deutscher
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
              Hi

              Leif Asbrink wrote:
              > Most users are under Linux, but since there is no
              > Linux driver for Perseus, this excellent hardware can be
              > run with Linrad under Microsoft only. I would be interested

              It is really a shame that there is no Linux driver for Perseus. This is
              the main reason why my Perseus is lying in a corner of the shack for a
              few months already without being used even one time.

              My laptop is running under Linux almost all time and I don't like to
              reboot into Windows (and not being able to do my other work) just to use
              it for the receiver.

              Maybe I should sell my mainly unused Perseus and wait for another
              receiver with better support = which will _have_ drivers for Linux? :-(

              73
              Udo, DL3GN
            • dr_deepam
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
                welche linux-distri hast du udo... ich bin ja perseus besitzer und
                muss (oh graus) fuer diesen zweck auch meinen bootloader noetigen.
                ich muss sagen - und das ist auch der grund meines anschreibens - ich
                habe echt wenige militante linuxer getroffen und freue mich wieder
                einen gefunden zu haben. respekt!
                (ich benutze fast auf all meinen rechnern openbsd 4.3 - mit einer
                ausnahme, da ist freebsd 7.0 drauf - und kenne diese verzwickte
                situation, mit hardwareunterstuetzung, sehr gut...)
                viele gruesse

                micha

                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Udo Deutscher <udo.deutscher@...>