Help me ID odd wideband signal

  • Lasse Moell
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
    Spending the day at home with a running nose, I was listening on HF when
    I suddenly found this wide band signal on 21 MHz
    It lasted some 30 minutes. Anyone know what it might be?? Could see
    slight fading from time to time.

    /Lasse SM5GLC
  • clement F59465
    Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
    Hi Lasse,

    This 3 Radar

    Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e43rXRcZPhs
    And here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zupfLO1PjrA

    Often as 4 MHz...

    My screen shot:

    73'
    F59465 Clem

    [Attachment(s) from Lasse Moell included below]

    --
    Cordialement
    F59465 Clement
    Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
      Hi Lasse,

      this is over the horizon radar. They always use the "muf" maximum useable frequency ( as resolution is better the higher the frequency is ) and they are always exactly on frequency transmitting in most cases 400 coherent carriers spaced at 50Hz each, giving a 20kHz bandwidth. You can see the carriers with Perseus, if you increase resolution bandwidth or have a look at the secondary window. You can even use this to calibrate your receiver, in your example you could use the " center carrier " at 21010,000 kHz.

      73,

      Werner

      [Attachment(s) from clement F59465 included below]