RE: [perseus_SDR] USB power

  • Guido Schotmans
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013
      Werner,

      You can do it as I mentioned here

      by using 2 USB ports.  You need 2 ports while Perseus draws more than 500 mA.

      I've made such a cable and it works.

      73,

      Guido.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
        Bill,

        yes, you need to connect the two USB power cables ( O and 5V ) to the power connector plug.
        I did this by soldering myself. Not sure, if adapters are readily available.

        73,

        Werner

        2013/1/22 wa2dvu <bill.riches@...>

        Werner mentioned he is powering perseus via USB connector from laptop. How are you getting the power out of the usb connector at the radio end - adapter to grab power out of a usb connector?? 73, Bill WA2DVU

      • Werner Karn

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013

            Thanks Werner - I am going to try that.

            73,

            Bill

            2013/1/22 wa2dvu <bill.riches@...>

            Werner mentioned he is powering perseus via USB connector from laptop. How are you getting the power out of the usb connector at the radio end - adapter to grab power out of a usb connector?? 73, Bill WA2DVU

          • Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013

              Adapters are available, in fact special USB cables are available, here’s an example:

              http://www.focalprice.com/CA0071U/15_m_USB_20_to_5_Pin_Mini_USB_Cable_for_Mobile_Hard_Drive_Purple.html?Currency=GBP

              Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV

              http://dit-dit-dit.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013

                Made up an adapter cable and it works fine!! Thanks to Werner and Guido. Under load the voltage is 4.95 volts.

                73,

                Bill, WA2DVU

                Cape May, NJ.