Perseus won't run.

  • Don
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
      Hi All,

      I've had my Perseus for about three weeks now. It ran fine for a week on
      a Vista 64 bit. Then I moved it to a windoz 7 LT where the Perseus ran
      fine from about two weeks. Yesterday I unplugged the USB cable to use
      the port for a few minutes. I plugged the Perseus USB cable back in and
      tried to start the program. The little circle runs around for a few
      seconds then stops. The LED's on the Perseus show that it knows it is
      connected to a computer. Anyway, I tried deleting and reinstalling the
      software but I didn't clear the registry. Still won't run.

      Finally I tried the Compatibility Troubleshooter. It was able to start
      Perseus but it still won't run when clicking on the desktop icon like it
      used to. also all data in the B1-B6 memories are lost as well as the
      HFCC and Eibi (which I updated) don't come up anymore.

      I also plugged the Perseus back into the first PC I ran it on and it
      won't start there either now. windoz Vista sez DEP is stopping it . So I
      set DEP to off for Perseus. Still won't run. No Compatibility
      Troubleshooter on Vista that I can find.

      As an aside I can't get Perseus to respond on the 'net. Looks like
      others have the same problem - connects and all that but just sits there
      like it is in "Pause".. I have opened up both ports in the firewall.

      Any thoughts?

      --
      Don KPC6NDB
      Upland, CA
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012

        Don,

        Did you plug it back into the same USB port?  Some have reported that not doing so will cause the Perseus to not work.

        Keith McGinnis

        Hingham MA

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
          Hi Keith,

          I left a lot of the finer points out but yes I plugged it back into the
          exact same port just minutes after unplugging it. The LT only has two. I
          even tried the other port. I tried both ports on the front of the PC as
          well where I used to plug the Perseus in. But you would think
          reinstalling the software would "fix" that. Maybe the next thing is to
          clear the registry and try again. Also I know about clicking on the
          Perseus icon on the front panel - everything is set right.

          Like Mama said, "It's always something!"I

          On 31-Dec-12 11:35, longwave@... wrote:

          > Don,
          >
          > Did you plug it back into the same USB port? Some have reported that
          > not doing so will cause the Perseus to not work.
          >
          > Keith McGinnis
          >
          > Hingham MA

        • alx_mtc
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
            Is the Perseus listed under Microtelecom devices in the Device Manager?
            (Using different USB ports could require reinstalling the drivers)

            Did you check for a stale perseus.exe in the Task Manager?

            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Don <stb55@...> wrote:

            > Hi Keith,
            >
            > I left a lot of the finer points out but yes I plugged it back into the
            > exact same port just minutes after unplugging it. The LT only has two. I
            > even tried the other port. I tried both ports on the front of the PC as
            > well where I used to plug the Perseus in. But you would think
            > reinstalling the software would "fix" that. Maybe the next thing is to
            > clear the registry and try again. Also I know about clicking on the
            > Perseus icon on the front panel - everything is set right.
            >
            > Like Mama said, "It's always something!"I
            >
            > Don KPC6NDB
            > Upland, CA
            > 34.10 -117.63 1250ft
            > R-75 w/250Hz 2x R-71A w/250Hz R-70
            > Perseus SDR-IQ SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx
            > MFJ-784B HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
            > PA0RDT Mini-Whip x2 @ 20ft
            > RYO Active Antenna @ 20ft
            > LFL1010 ALA100L x2
            >
            > On 31-Dec-12 11:35, longwave@... wrote:
            > >

            > > Don,
            > >
            > > Did you plug it back into the same USB port? Some have reported that
            > > not doing so will cause the Perseus to not work.
            > >
            > > Keith McGinnis
            > >
            > > Hingham MA

          • Alberto I2PHD
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
              On 12/31/2012 8:20 PM, Don wrote:

              I've had my Perseus for about three weeks now. It ran fine for a week on
              a Vista 64 bit. Then I moved it to a windoz 7 LT where the Perseus ran
              fine from about two weeks. Yesterday I unplugged the USB cable to use
              the port for a few minutes. I plugged the Perseus USB cable back in and
              tried to start the program. The little circle runs around for a few
              seconds then stops.

              Did you unplug and replug it with the antenna connected ?  I managed to fry an RTL2832 dongle
              doing that... stupidly I first connected the antenna, then plugged it into the USB port where it
              usually worked...  Windows complained about a malfunctioning USB device, and no matter what
              I did (included installation on a different computer), the dongle seems to be definitely defunct...

              Probably some ground loop did close via one of the USB pins before finding its way through the
              ground tab...  in my case the damage has been of only a dozen Euro...   I hope your case is
              different, as otherwise it would cost you a bit more...

              --
              73 Alberto I2PHD
            • Don
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
                Hi Alberto,

                No, the Perseus works. I've just tested it with a loopback and accessing
                it from another PC on my LAN. Both methods work. So.... to me that means
                the hardware is good, the USB drivers must be OK and the cable.
                Something is preventing the .exe file from running I should think. The
                .exe file will start on the LT only if is stroked by the windoz
                Compatibility Troubleshooter but the PC doesn't have that capability.

                On 31-Dec-12 14:02, Alberto I2PHD wrote:

                > On 12/31/2012 8:20 PM, Don wrote:
                >
                >> /I've had my Perseus for about three weeks now. It ran fine for a week on
                >> a Vista 64 bit. Then I moved it to a windoz 7 LT where the Perseus ran
                >> fine from about two weeks. Yesterday I unplugged the USB cable to use
                >> the port for a few minutes. I plugged the Perseus USB cable back in and
                >> tried to start the program. The little circle runs around for a few
                >> seconds then stops./
                >
                > Did you unplug and replug it with the antenna connected ? I managed to
                > fry an RTL2832 dongle
                > doing that... stupidly I first connected the antenna, then plugged it
                > into the USB port where it
                > usually worked... Windows complained about a malfunctioning USB device,
                > and no matter what
                > I did (included installation on a different computer), the dongle seems
                > to be definitely defunct...
                >
                > Probably some ground loop did close via one of the USB pins _before_
                > finding its way through the
                > ground tab... in my case the damage has been of only a dozen Euro...
                > I hope your case is
                > different, as otherwise it would cost you a bit more...
                >
                > --
                > /*73 Alberto I2PHD*/

              • Don
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 31, 2012
                  Hi,

                  The Perseus is listed in device manager and the task manager is clear. I
                  even tried to start Perseus with Task Manager but same result - doesn't
                  start. Interestingly the Server and Band scan thing work OK as well as
                  connecting to the Perseus from another computer. A real head scratcher.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
                    Hi All,

                    Well, I don't give up easy. Turns out the problem was the eibi.txt file!
                    I found that copying everything from a copy of the CD on the HD Perseus
                    ran OK. So I just started replacing every file one by one.

                    I remembered afterward that this problem started after I updated the
                    eibi and HFCC files. I re-downloaded the new eibi.txt file again and all
                    is well. Too bad there is not something in the software to let you know
                    there is a glitch.