WA2ZKD Antenna Test Report

  • Jim Lill
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2012
      As you probably have observed, I put the WA2ZKD Remote Node up a few
      weeks ago. Since then I have tried a number of antennas. As a SWL of 55
      years, a Ham of 40 years and a Radio EE of 45 years, I have both a hobby
      and professional interest in getting the best performance from my
      installation. My QTH is located about 1/2 to 1 mile from all TV, most
      FM, all Public Safety Radio transmitters. In the other direction, I have
      3 AMBC stations. In effect, the perfect storm of overload. For example,
      I believe 91.5 and 96.5 FM can mix in an amplifier and create issues at
      5 MHz. I have evaluated 7 different antennas systems with the following
      results:

      1) 20 ft LW simply hanging on the end of a RG-59 feedline - pretty poor
      on all but local AM BC
      2) 35 ft LW with 9:1 transformer - better but not great
      3) Wellbrook AL-1530 Loop - good receive but its preamp impacted by
      local BC stuff
      4) Wellbrook AL-330S Loop - good receive (not as good as 1530 at
      VLF-LF) Preamp better than 1530 but still impacted by local BC
      5) Same as #4 but Type 31 Ferrite Choke added at premp feedpoint, coax
      grounded at 30 ft from Preamp - better overload performance
      6) Clifton Labs Z1501D Whip with Same mods as #5 - best in all ways of
      #1 - 6 above but still some overload
      7) Pixel PRO-1B "Moebius" Loop - only add-on was ground at 30 ft point
      but by far the best antenna. No overload whatsoever
    • doug12455
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2012
        Very interesting results. Thanks for posting :-)

        Brian - W8GTX

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Jim Lill <jlill@...> wrote:

        > As you probably have observed, I put the WA2ZKD Remote Node up a few
        > weeks ago. Since then I have tried a number of antennas. As a SWL of 55
        > years, a Ham of 40 years and a Radio EE of 45 years, I have both a hobby
        > and professional interest in getting the best performance from my
        > installation. My QTH is located about 1/2 to 1 mile from all TV, most
        > FM, all Public Safety Radio transmitters. In the other direction, I have
        > 3 AMBC stations. In effect, the perfect storm of overload. For example,
        > I believe 91.5 and 96.5 FM can mix in an amplifier and create issues at
        > 5 MHz. I have evaluated 7 different antennas systems with the following
        > results:
        >
        > 1) 20 ft LW simply hanging on the end of a RG-59 feedline - pretty poor
        > on all but local AM BC
        > 2) 35 ft LW with 9:1 transformer - better but not great
        > 3) Wellbrook AL-1530 Loop - good receive but its preamp impacted by
        > local BC stuff
        > 4) Wellbrook AL-330S Loop - good receive (not as good as 1530 at
        > VLF-LF) Preamp better than 1530 but still impacted by local BC
        > 5) Same as #4 but Type 31 Ferrite Choke added at premp feedpoint, coax
        > grounded at 30 ft from Preamp - better overload performance
        > 6) Clifton Labs Z1501D Whip with Same mods as #5 - best in all ways of
        > #1 - 6 above but still some overload
        > 7) Pixel PRO-1B "Moebius" Loop - only add-on was ground at 30 ft point
        > but by far the best antenna. No overload whatsoever

      • James
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2012
          I've looked at a lot of reviews of radios and antennas I seldom see VHF effects discussed on HF devices but my recent tests surely confirmed what I already knew from lesser radios here at home. I should have also mentioned that at no time did I find or feel the Perseus to be the weak point.