Re: usb power

  • bjarnemjelde
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2012
      The USB 2.0 threshold is 500 mA. If available, you could try a USB 3.0 port since its threshold is supposed to be 900 mA. Mind you, I haven't tested this, nor do I know of any who have. Caveat emptor and all that.

      Bjarne Mjelde
      Kongsfjord, Arctic Norway

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Werner Karn <werner.karn@...> wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > there are a couple of threads in this forum addressing this topic.
      >
      > The basic message is: yes, that is possible but you should use a USB Y (
      > dual ) cable as Perseus power requirement is around 800mA and some USB port
      > specs are 500mA only.
      >
      > I'm using such a configuration sometimes without any problems.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Werner
      >

      > 2012/12/5 Bill Riches <bill.riches@...>
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Any ideas on powering perseus from laptop usb port?****
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > 73, Bill, WA2DVU****
      > >
      > > Cape May****

    • Giorgio Barinetti
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2012

        Hi all the group.

        This is not exact, some ports can handle up to 2Amp. Just have a look at you laptop’s spec sheet.

        Have a nice day.

        IZ2JGB

        Giorgio.

        The USB 2.0 threshold is 500 mA. If available, you could try a USB 3.0 port since its threshold is supposed to be 900 mA. Mind you, I haven't tested this, nor do I know of any who have. Caveat emptor and all that.

        Bjarne Mjelde
        Kongsfjord, Arctic Norway

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Werner Karn <werner.karn@...> wrote:

        > Bill,
        >
        > there are a couple of threads in this forum addressing this topic.
        >
        > The basic message is: yes, that is possible but you should use a USB Y (
        > dual ) cable as Perseus power requirement is around 800mA and some USB port
        > specs are 500mA only.
        >
        > I'm using such a configuration sometimes without any problems.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Werner
        >

        > 2012/12/5 Bill Riches <bill.riches@...>
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Any ideas on powering perseus from laptop usb port?****
        > >
        > > ** **
        > >
        > > 73, Bill, WA2DVU****
        > >
        > > Cape May****

        Nessun virus nel messaggio.
        Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
        Versione: 2012.0.2221 / Database dei virus: 2634/5439 - Data di rilascio: 05/12/2012