Re: Instance names on crowded tasbar

  • alx_mtc
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
      I know this would steal some more space from your desktop, but you could also unlock the taskbar and make it one step taller.
      Or group the buttons, so that when clicking on the Perseus taskbar box, Windows would ask you which instance you wanted to maximize.

      The numbering in the program caption is also used by mttps.exe to reference the right Perseus instance.

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Jurgen Bartels" <jurgenb2@...> wrote:

      > Hi Alessio,
      >
      > Nice to have now a unique name in the taskbar for each Perseus instance. It is
      > now a lot easier to immediately pick the wanted one from the taskbar.
      > However when having many buttons on the taskbar (not just Perseus), Windows
      > reduces the number of characters per button down to 4 or 5 followed by '...'
      >
      > So I end up with:
      > 'Pers..' 'Pers..'
      > and can't distinguish the instances anymore.
      >
      > Could you please start the names with the instance number first and then
      > followed by 'perseus' like:
      > '1-Perseus', '2-Perseus'
      >
      > So a crowded taskbar would then show :
      > '1-Per..' 2-Per..'
      > and remains distinguishable.
      >

      > Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
      > Antennas hor.: 45-87MHz: 11-ele, FM: 15.11, Band-III:13-ele, UHF:48-ele,
      > TV: Winradio G305 / Fly2000 + video noise filter & variable IF BW
      > FM: Downconverter + Perseus + Speclab as WFM demod.
      > MW: 90m bev 220°, 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
      > http://zeiterfassung.3sdesign.de/station_list.htm

    • Jurgen Bartels
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
        > Or group the buttons, so that when clicking on the Perseus taskbar box,
        > Windows would ask you which instance you wanted to maximize.

        This does not work on XP.

        > The numbering in the program caption is also used by mttps.exe to reference
        > the right Perseus instance.

        Yes I know, but once mttps uses the same naming scheme it will work perfectly.
        Remember it is just "number-before-string" instead of "string-before-number",
        nothing else.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
          It works in XP ( http://microtelecom.it/perseus/xp.png )
          Just enable it in the Taskbar properties.

          Alessio

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Jurgen Bartels" <jurgenb2@...> wrote:

          > > Or group the buttons, so that when clicking on the Perseus taskbar box,
          > > Windows would ask you which instance you wanted to maximize.
          >
          > This does not work on XP.

        • Jurgen Bartels
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
            > It works in XP ( http://microtelecom.it/perseus/xp.png )
            > Just enable it in the Taskbar properties.

            Oh yes Alessio,
            I forgot that I disabled it years ago, because I hated that I can't see all
            app-buttons at a glance. I want to access them via a single click, not by two.

            It's no problem to see just 3 characters, but it is a pain to have them hidden
            in 'submenus'

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
              I agree with you.
              But it took me a while to check that mttps and Perseus interacted the way I wanted to, so I am simply putting this modification really behind in the queue. There are more severe issues in the beta (and older) to fix first.

              Alessio

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
                > I agree with you.
                > But it took me a while to check that mttps and Perseus interacted the way I
                > wanted to, so I am simply putting this modification really behind in the
                > queue. There are more severe issues in the beta (and older) to fix first.

                Yes, those things are more important and need to be fixed first.
                So put my request at the far end of the queue