PSU protection

  • Sudipta, VU3TKG
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22 11:42 AM
      Hi all!

      OM Chuck Rippel and OM Guy Atkins has designed a nice and useful PSU and the plan is available in Files Section of this YG. It is mainly for battery use but can easily be integrated into a linear PSU for more versatility.

      Now, my query is that has any one found it necessary to incorporate a crowbar or any other protection circuit in it? There are many users for this gear around the world where line surge plays havoc!

      Kind regards,

      SG/VU3TKG
    • K. Krallis
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22 11:59 AM
        On 2012-08-22 21:42, Sudipta, VU3TKG <oneghose@...> wrote:

        > Now, my query is that has any one found it necessary to
        > incorporate a crowbar or any other protection circuit in it?
        > There are many users for this gear around the world where
        > line surge plays havoc!

        I have built a 5V power supply for Perseus. It is connected
        to a 13.8 VDC linear PSU and contains heavy RF filtering
        and a LM340KC-5.0 (7805CX) regulator rated at 5V-2A. I had
        installed also a simple crowbar (a thyristor, a zenner diode
        etc). Howver the crowbad triggered at random intervals
        even if I used a 5.6 or 6.2 V zenner, so I disabled it.
        I don't know what triggers the crowbar, however I suspect
        voltage spikes on the USB line.

        73 Costas SV1XV

        --
        PGP key: 0x07F2AAD0 (available on keyservers)
      • Sudipta Ghose
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22 5:55 PM
          Many thanks OM Costas. So, it will add to the nuisance value! I will take cue from you and will incorporate line filtering as well as common mode chokes into the PSU.
          Again thanks for sharing your experience.
          Kind regards,
          Sudipta Ghose/VU3TKG

          On 2012-08-22 21:42, Sudipta, VU3TKG <oneghose@...> wrote:

          > Now, my query is that has any one found it necessary to
          > incorporate a crowbar or any other protection circuit in it?
          > There are many users for this gear around the world where
          > line surge plays havoc!

          I have built a 5V power supply for Perseus. It is connected
          to a 13.8 VDC linear PSU and contains heavy RF filtering
          and a LM340KC-5.0 (7805CX) regulator rated at 5V-2A. I had
          installed also a simple crowbar (a thyristor, a zenner diode
          etc). Howver the crowbad triggered at random intervals
          even if I used a 5.6 or 6.2 V zenner, so I disabled it.
          I don't know what triggers the crowbar, however I suspect
          voltage spikes on the USB line.

          73 Costas SV1XV

          --
          PGP key: 0x07F2AAD0 (available on keyservers)

          --
          One of those ... ...