Feeding Perseus in the field

  • Mack
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
      Hello to everyone. After much experience with Perseus at home I wanted to give it a try in the field, far from the noises that surround us in our urban locations. I am particularly a lover of NDB's hunting and I'm really convinced that doing recordings with the ALA-100 or PA0RDT Mini-Whip in the beach or countryside will make a better chance of getting the weakest ones.

      I have to say that the HP Laptop is not causing any RF apparently, because I get the same noise level either with mains connection or battery, so I am happy with that. However, the problem comes when feeding Perseus.
      The trials up to the moment have been terribly bad. First of all I tried a 12-220V converter connected to the car's cigarette plug to which I attached the original Perseus adaptor as if it were at home..... The invention lasted 30 seconds... Horrible!!. All bands were full of buzzing noises.

      Second, much better but still unuseful, a 12V-5V switching power supply. I am satisfied in Shortwave, but the LW part of the spectrum which interest me most is not up to the task. I need something which is REALLY QUIET.

      I have reading that by connecting it to two USB ports would make the trick, but, is it so?. What do you use?. Please tell me your opinions.

      Regards
    • Mark D Mobile
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
        The ‘parallel USB’ solution has been the best I could find to date.  Two ports in parallel provide the necessary current to drive the Perseus.  I can provide a schematic if someone needs it.  Coupling to a noisy computer in this manner may require some filtering.

        We’re also looking at 5-volt batteries as a solution.  There are several of these now available that would provide several hours’ operation.

        Mark Durenberger
        On the Road

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
            Hello Mack,

            I am using a 6V 4AH battery and a low drop linear 5 volt regulator.
            This works very well.
            I have included reverse voltage protection with a relay to avoid voltage
            drop when using a diode.
            Low battery indication is included as well.

            I have also used a 12 volt battery and 5 volt linear regulator, but heat
            dissipation calls for a hefty heatsink.

            Best regards,
            Roelof Bakker
          • Matthias Zwoch
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
              Am 05.08.2012 13:26, schrieb Mack:
              > Hello to everyone. After much experience with Perseus at home I wanted
              > to give it a try in the field, far from the noises that surround us in
              > our urban locations. I am particularly a lover of NDB's hunting and I'm
              >
              > I have reading that by connecting it to two USB ports would make the
              > trick, but, is it so?. What do you use?. Please tell me your opinions.
              >
              > Regards

              I use a 10Ah 12V battery and a 2A 5V linear regulator preceded of 5 2A
              Si-Diodes. So the regulator does not need much cooling.

              73 de Matthias
            • Bill Riches
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
                E-Mail Software 6.0

                How about a 6 volt gel cell with two silicon power diodes in series?  They have a nominal drop of .6 volts.

                73,

                Bill WA2DVU

                Cape May, NJ

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
                  Roelof has a better idea than my series diode plan.

                  Bill WA2DVU

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
                    Hello all,

                    I will make a write up and explain my approach.
                    I need to draw some decent circuit diagrams, so it will take a some time.

                    73,
                    Roelof, pa0rdt
                  • Sudipta Ghose
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
                      That will be very nice. So kind of you, Roelof!
                      I shall be eagerly waiting
                      73
                      SG, VU3TKG

                      On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Roelof Bakker <roelof@...> wrote:
                      Hello all,

                      I will make a write up and explain my approach.
                      I need to draw some decent circuit diagrams, so it will take a some time.

                      73,
                      Roelof, pa0rdt

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          perseus_SDR-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          perseus_SDR-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      --
                      One of those ... ...
                    • Mack
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2012
                        Thanks everybody. You have given great ideas and I think this topic will be very useful for all of us.
                        I have to announce that I have got a solution...!!. A friend of me, EA5DOM, has made me a cable to connect one single USB port to Perseus and IT DOES WORK. So, now it has one USB that connects into the receiver's usual port. And another that goes from the laptop (USB plug), ending in power plug bolt to Perseus. With this configuration it works flawlessly and doesn't introduce any noise at all.

                        I have to the field inmediately with the PA0RDT Mini-Whip and the fishing rod at 7m high and to my surprise there was a lot of 'black spaces' in the LW band... Excellent!. After connecting to the cigarette plug of the car the 12V to make the aerial active, a buzzing noise has come out due to the car circuitry from 0hz to about 250khz only. Not that it's a great problem, but looking for a stand-alone 12V source will solve the problem for sure...

                        I'm now a happier man...

                        Before at home: http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8626/sinttulo2mb.jpg

                        Now at field:
                        http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3016/sinttulobyb.jpg

                        Note in the field image the higher signal input the PA0RDT Mini-Whip delivers against the ALA-100 with 20m wire. Definitely for NDB chasing I prefer Roelof's ten times as much.

                        Kind regards from EA7IWC.