Bad characters on Perseus Panel

  • Karel Honzík
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28, 2012
    > Dear friends,
    > this is strange with the Perseus control panel:
    >
    > the Perseus software was installed on a brand new Win7 laptop and some
    > characters (font) are almost illegible.
    >
    > On the old laptop with XP the font is displayed correctly.
    >
    > One screen shot is attached.
    >
    > Thank you very much for your possible comment,
    >
    > Karel Honzik, CZE
  • Peter
    Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28, 2012
      Hi Karel
      Read message # 16944, where there is an explanation for this problem.

      Greetings Peter

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Karel Honzík <karel-honzik@...> wrote:

      > > Dear friends,
      > > this is strange with the Perseus control panel:
      > >
      > > the Perseus software was installed on a brand new Win7 laptop and some
      > > characters (font) are almost illegible.
      > >
      > > On the old laptop with XP the font is displayed correctly.
      > >
      > > One screen shot is attached.
      > >
      > > Thank you very much for your possible comment,
      > >
      > > Karel Honzik, CZE

    • Guido Schotmans
      Message 3 of 12 , Apr 28, 2012
        Hi Karel,

        Have you been playing with clear type text settings in Control panel ?
        I know that someone had the same issue in the early days of Perseus. At
        first many thought about a missing font, but that was not the case. It had
        something to do with other font settings.

        Guido.

      • Karel Honzík
        Message 4 of 12 , Apr 28, 2012
          Thanks Peter, Guido etc...

          Yes it is exactly the same problem! In message #16994 Dez (OM5NA) from Slovakia who has Win7 64bit describes the same problem that I experienced. It is logical: he uses the same Central/Eastern Europe localization of Win7 with fonts where the code table is a bit different of that of West European languages. His picture in Photoalbum (OM5NA) looks exactly the same like what I could observe here.

          But - the basic sortiment of fonts in Win7 should be the same and national versions should pick up those fonts that suit them best. I was checking the Fonts section of Win7 and it seems like all fonts available are visible and the installed fonts are clearly visible, other fonts are greyed. Among those grayed fonts I have not seen any one which looks like Latin (not installed fonts are Chinese, Arabic etc). So I really do not see one Latin font that seems to be not installed yet.

          I was also trying to change a default language to English (US) (the former language was Czech), it took quite a while until it was done but there was no change after the restart of the computer.

          It could be fine if the author could say which font was used for button captions a I (and some other users surely too) could check if this font is present or if they should search for it somewhere else.

          It is already clear that the correct font is missing and it is substituted by a system font which is very rough and almost illegible in small sizes. It can be seen in the System font preview.

          Conclusion (from my point of view):  Perseus owners who intend to operate the receiver on computers with Win7 64bit Central+East European version should expect bad font display on buttons, e.g. below the main window (Spect, WFall, Zoom, Labels...).

          Many thanks indeed to those who are cooperative in an effort to solve this problem,

          Karel Honzik, CZE

          Read message # 16944, where there is an explanation for this problem.

          Greetings Peter

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Karel Honzík <karel-honzik@...> wrote:

          > > Dear friends,
          > > this is strange with the Perseus control panel:
          > >
          > > the Perseus software was installed on a brand new Win7 laptop and some
          > > characters (font) are almost illegible.
          > >
          > > On the old laptop with XP the font is displayed correctly.
          > >
          > > One screen shot is attached.
          > >
          > > Thank you very much for your possible comment,
          > >
          > > Karel Honzik, CZE

          __________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 7093 (20120428) __________

          Tuto zpravu proveril ESET Smart Security.

          http://www.eset.cz
        • Jurgen Bartels
          Message 5 of 12 , Apr 28, 2012
            > I was also trying to change a default language to English (US) (the former
            > language was Czech), it took quite a while until it was done but there was no
            > change after the restart of the computer.

            You can't do that any more as I found out recently.
            You can only switch the language when you have that option bought from MS.
            After switching to EE or SS you will still see all words in your own language,
            only currency, date/time etc. characters are changed, so it will not affect
            font settings.

            Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
            Antennas hor.: 45-87MHz: 11-ele, FM: 15.11, Band-III:13-ele, UHF:48-ele,
            MW: 90m bev 220°, 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
            300m staggered beverages 320° http://dx.3sdesign.de/staggered_beverage.htm
          • randy.leveque
            Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2012
              I have a lenovo laptop win7 the fonts are readable on the buttons
              but they are bigger then the buttons, in other words they don't fit inside
              the lines

              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Jurgen Bartels" <jurgenb2@...> wrote:

              > > I was also trying to change a default language to English (US) (the former
              > > language was Czech), it took quite a while until it was done but there was no
              > > change after the restart of the computer.
              >
              > You can't do that any more as I found out recently.
              > You can only switch the language when you have that option bought from MS.
              > After switching to EE or SS you will still see all words in your own language,
              > only currency, date/time etc. characters are changed, so it will not affect
              > font settings.
              >

              > Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
              > Antennas hor.: 45-87MHz: 11-ele, FM: 15.11, Band-III:13-ele, UHF:48-ele,
              > TV: Winradio G305 / Fly2000 + video noise filter & variable IF BW
              > FM: Downconverter + Perseus + Speclab as WFM demod.
              > MW: 90m bev 220°, 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
              > 300m staggered beverages 320° http://dx.3sdesign.de/staggered_beverage.htm
              > http://zeiterfassung.3sdesign.de/station_list.htm

            • Karel Honzík
              Message 7 of 12 , May 5, 2012
              Hi, I do not like to give up this investigation around the bad font on button captions. I came over to another stage and I collected pictures of buttons from different versions and editions of Windows (see attachment).

              I would like to ask members of this mailist to confirm or disagree what can be seen on pictures compared to their own display. You can send your comment privately to me if you think that such things would overload this mailist too much.

              One thing occured to me while thinking about fonts. Maybe the problem is in the name of the font used for button captions. When, for example, the program is calling ARIAL and certain Windows 7 localization or edition uses ARIALCE (ARIAL CE) [CE = Central Europe], then the ARIAL font is not found and the System font is used as a substitute. But it is not possible to take a look inside the program itself to see what is actually happening there...

              I would like to ask Nico Palermo to make his comment too. Thank you.

              73,
              Karel Honzik, CZE

              Message 8 of 12 , May 13, 2012
                Yes Win7 professional is my font problem, the font's are to big

              • randy.leveque
                Message 9 of 12 , May 28, 2012
                  With Studio 1 out will the default program still get
                  improvements, I will probably stay with the default
                  for many reason's but I do hope the font problem
                  gets fix

                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "randy.leveque" <randy.leveque@...> wrote:

                  > Yes Win7 professional is my font problem, the font's are to big
                  >
                  > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Karel Honzík <karel-honzik@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi, I do not like to give up this investigation around the bad font on button captions. I came over to another stage and I collected pictures of buttons from different versions and editions of Windows (see attachment).
                  > >
                  > > I would like to ask members of this mailist to confirm or disagree what can be seen on pictures compared to their own display. You can send your comment privately to me if you think that such things would overload this mailist too much.
                  > >
                  > > One thing occured to me while thinking about fonts. Maybe the problem is in the name of the font used for button captions. When, for example, the program is calling ARIAL and certain Windows 7 localization or edition uses ARIALCE (ARIAL CE) [CE = Central Europe], then the ARIAL font is not found and the System font is used as a substitute. But it is not possible to take a look inside the program itself to see what is actually happening there...
                  > >
                  > > I would like to ask Nico Palermo to make his comment too. Thank you.
                  > >
                  > > 73,
                  > > Karel Honzik, CZE

                • Ron
                  Message 10 of 12 , May 29, 2012
                    Randy,

                    Nico wrote us that there will be no more development of the original perseus software. Studio1 seems to be the (succesor) for the perseus and includes support for many other SDR brands.

                    Take a look at:

                    73' Ron
                    ON2RON

                  • iv3nwv
                    Message 11 of 12 , May 29, 2012
                      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <on2ron@...> wrote:

                      > Nico wrote us that there will be no more development of the original perseus software. Studio1 seems to be the (succesor) for the perseus and includes support for many other SDR brands.

                      There must be a misunderstandig, Ron.

                      Read again msg #18122 on this group.

                      By the way what pointed out by Karel has already been fixed and will be available as soon as a new Perseus software version will be published on our web site.

                      73s
                      Nico / IV3NWV
                    • José Alves
                      Message 12 of 12 , May 29, 2012

                        Glad to read that Nico, even if I ( probabily) will buy Studio 1.

                        73’s

                        Jose Alves

                        Enviada: terça-feira, 29 de Maio de 2012 11:55
                        Para: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                        Assunto: [perseus_SDR] Re: Bad characters on Perseus Panel