Re: Studio One... When ?

  • Dave GW4GTE
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 3, 2012
      Well I'm not - have I missed a 'network' button or is that feature on the PBP (please be patient) list?

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, pd0psb@... wrote:

      > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Günter Lorenz <glorenz@> wrote:
      > > Reading "between the lines" in history.txt of Wrplus 1.10: "Expiration extended to 30/04/2012"
      > > My understanding is that Sandro plans to release the rabbit before that date.
      >

      > Has been this way since late november (the planned release date) and extended a few times.
      >
      > I'm quite sure Studio1 is well worth the wait though....
      >
      > 73
      > Paul
      > PD0PSB

    • Sandro
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 3, 2012
        "Well I'm not..." Should it be funny? Dave, what is the problem? Have you paid in advance for Studio 1 with the promise of a delivery date? Here we are making serious software. It needs months or years to build a reputation and only hours to destroy it. Many SDR users have appreciated WRplus and there are expectations about Studio 1: I will not disappoint those people. I rather prefer a delay (in order to be sure that the application includes all the planned features and meet my requirements of reliability and performances) than a poor release. Anyway, the first release of Studio 1 SDR will be showed at the "Radioamatore HIFI Car" fair in Pordenone Italy on April 28-29 2012. I will personally show the application.

        73 Sandro Sfregola

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Dave GW4GTE" <dave@...> wrote:

        > Well I'm not - have I missed a 'network' button or is that feature on the PBP (please be patient) list?
        >
        > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, pd0psb@ wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Günter Lorenz <glorenz@> wrote:
        > > > Reading "between the lines" in history.txt of Wrplus 1.10: "Expiration extended to 30/04/2012"
        > > > My understanding is that Sandro plans to release the rabbit before that date.
        > >

        > > Has been this way since late november (the planned release date) and extended a few times.
        > >
        > > I'm quite sure Studio1 is well worth the wait though....
        > >
        > > 73
        > > Paul
        > > PD0PSB

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 3, 2012
          Amen!

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Sandro" <badplayer64@...> wrote:

          > "Well I'm not..." Should it be funny? Dave, what is the problem? Have you paid in advance for Studio 1 with the promise of a delivery date? Here we are making serious software. It needs months or years to build a reputation and only hours to destroy it. Many SDR users have appreciated WRplus and there are expectations about Studio 1: I will not disappoint those people. I rather prefer a delay (in order to be sure that the application includes all the planned features and meet my requirements of reliability and performances) than a poor release. Anyway, the first release of Studio 1 SDR will be showed at the "Radioamatore HIFI Car" fair in Pordenone Italy on April 28-29 2012. I will personally show the application.
          >
          > 73 Sandro Sfregola
        • doug12455
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 3, 2012
            Thumbs up!

            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Sandro" <badplayer64@...> wrote:

            > "Well I'm not..." Should it be funny? Dave, what is the problem? Have you paid in advance for Studio 1 with the promise of a delivery date? Here we are making serious software. It needs months or years to build a reputation and only hours to destroy it. Many SDR users have appreciated WRplus and there are expectations about Studio 1: I will not disappoint those people. I rather prefer a delay (in order to be sure that the application includes all the planned features and meet my requirements of reliability and performances) than a poor release. Anyway, the first release of Studio 1 SDR will be showed at the "Radioamatore HIFI Car" fair in Pordenone Italy on April 28-29 2012. I will personally show the application.
            >
            > 73 Sandro Sfregola
            >

            > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Dave GW4GTE" <dave@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Well I'm not - have I missed a 'network' button or is that feature on the PBP (please be patient) list?
            > >
            > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, pd0psb@ wrote:

            > > > Has been this way since late november (the planned release date) and extended a few times.
            > > >
            > > > I'm quite sure Studio1 is well worth the wait though....
            > > >
            > > > 73
            > > > Paul
            > > > PD0PSB

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 3, 2012
              If it doesn't have a "Network" button....I personally don't care. We can
              revert back to Microtelecom software. I have indeed enjoyed the free ride of
              WRplus and I personally thank Sandro and anyone else who may have assisted
              him. Thank you Sandro and whenever it comes out I have no doubt it will be
              great. Microtelecom has also done a great job, I can't imagine how they all
              do it. Still awesome and like Christmas every time I turn the Perseus
              on.......

              Mike in Delaware,USA thanks you

            • pd0psb@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 3, 2012
                Good luck with the presentation.
                Unfortunately Pordenone is a 12h drive...

                No pre-ordering as with most Woodboxradio sales?

                73!
                Paul
                PD0PSB

                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Sandro" <badplayer64@...> wrote:

                > "Well I'm not..." Should it be funny? Dave, what is the problem? Have you paid in advance for Studio 1 with the promise of a delivery date? Here we are making serious software. It needs months or years to build a reputation and only hours to destroy it. Many SDR users have appreciated WRplus and there are expectations about Studio 1: I will not disappoint those people. I rather prefer a delay (in order to be sure that the application includes all the planned features and meet my requirements of reliability and performances) than a poor release. Anyway, the first release of Studio 1 SDR will be showed at the "Radioamatore HIFI Car" fair in Pordenone Italy on April 28-29 2012. I will personally show the application.
                >
                > 73 Sandro Sfregola
                >

                > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Dave GW4GTE" <dave@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Well I'm not - have I missed a 'network' button or is that feature on the PBP (please be patient) list?
                > >
                > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, pd0psb@ wrote:

                > > > Has been this way since late november (the planned release date) and extended a few times.
                > > >
                > > > I'm quite sure Studio1 is well worth the wait though....
                > > >
                > > > 73
                > > > Paul
                > > > PD0PSB

              • John Schneider
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 4, 2012

                  Mike/Sandro,

                  I believe this may be only my second post, but I have been following this thread and I could not have said it any better.  Given the quality/performance of the Microtelecom product I can only expect what is forthcoming to be nothing short of fantastic and well worth any wait.  I had been out of this hobby for a short while because I thought I had reached my “technological saturation” point with my cell phone, tablet, TV surround system, PC, etc., etc..  The joy I’ve discovered using my Perseus has led me to discover the fun that can be had with a product who’s design has been so thoroughly thought out.

                  Eagerly but patiently awaiting the new arrival!

                  John

                  > "Well I'm not..." Should it be funny? Dave, what is the problem? Have you
                  paid in advance for Studio 1 with the promise of a delivery date? Here we
                  are making serious software. It needs months or years to build a reputation
                  and only hours to destroy it. Many SDR users have appreciated WRplus and
                  there are expectations about Studio 1: I will not disappoint those people. I
                  rather prefer a delay (in order to be sure that the application includes all
                  the planned features and meet my requirements of reliability and
                  performances) than a poor release. Anyway, the first release of Studio 1 SDR
                  will be showed at the "Radioamatore HIFI Car" fair in Pordenone Italy on
                  April 28-29 2012. I will personally show the application.

                  > 73 Sandro Sfregola
                  >

                  > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com <mailto:perseus_SDR%40yahoogroups.com>
                  , "Dave GW4GTE" <dave@> wrote:

                  > > Well I'm not - have I missed a 'network' button or is that feature on
                  the PBP (please be patient) list?

                  > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:perseus_SDR%40yahoogroups.com> , pd0psb@ wrote:

                  > > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                  "Expiration extended to 30/04/2012"

                  > > > Has been this way since late november (the planned release date) and
                  extended a few times.

                  > > > I'm quite sure Studio1 is well worth the wait though....
                  > > >
                  > > > 73
                  > > > Paul
                  > > > PD0PSB

                • doug12455
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 4, 2012
                    Boy that's the truth. I've been out of the hobby for some time myself. But re-discovered it with the Perseus SDR. Having a good time once again. Discovering interesting signals right under my nose I never knew existed!

                    Brian

                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, John Schneider <thecop@...> wrote:

                    > Mike/Sandro,
                    >

                    > I believe this may be only my second post, but I have been following this
                    > thread and I could not have said it any better. Given the
                    > quality/performance of the Microtelecom product I can only expect what is
                    > forthcoming to be nothing short of fantastic and well worth any wait. I had
                    > been out of this hobby for a short while because I thought I had reached my
                    > "technological saturation" point with my cell phone, tablet, TV surround
                    > system, PC, etc., etc.. The joy I've discovered using my Perseus has led me
                    > to discover the fun that can be had with a product who's design has been so
                    > thoroughly thought out.
                    >

                    > Eagerly but patiently awaiting the new arrival!
                    >

                    > John

                  • Dave GW4GTE
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 4, 2012
                      Hi,

                      Like I said in 17955, next comes the telling off. Nostradamus couldn't have predicted that better.

                      If you use this group (called Perseus SDR not Studio 1 by the way) as a free marketing channel you can't expect every comment to be 100% positive, especially when dates slip and features now standard on "free" software are missing. It's not me you should be telling about the first release being the end of this month it's people who are watching the web page hoping any day now for news.

                      I'm just expressing my opinion based on my criteria for what I want from software I may be paying for. I've no doubt it will be excellent within its feature set and I would expect nothing less from yourself as a programmer I cannot dream of emulating.

                      There are Studio 1 features I like - band buttons and multiple VFOs for example - something I never thought Italy acknowledged. Also the resizeable screen, nice skin (Woodbox are masters here) and low CPU time. These are things that should have been in Perseus anyway but nontheless good to see in Studio 1.

                      I have networking with Perseus, and that was a long awaited 'please be patient' feature. Apart from a 'one server to multiple clients' feature, for me it will take some beating, and I'm grateful to Nico for sorting this before he abandoned further Perseus development. So if Studio 1 is reasonably priced I'll probably buy it anyway, networking or no networking.

                      Software being late is fine - just keep people informed of the real situation. Bigger companies than yours get release dates wrong and pay the price, just look at RIM for instance blowing it big time with their OS2 cock up. Now their future viability is in doubt.

                      The enemy of business success is complacency. Complacency is when companies think any critical comment is wrong.

                      I'm still in 'please be patient' mode regarding Gemini. I seem to remember that also attracting sycophantic praise from the yes men, and there being a big push for a product show mega-launch with the author in attendance. We should take consolation from the fact that by comparison any delay to Studio 1 will seem like the blink of an eye.

                      Regards

                      Dave

                      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Sandro" <badplayer64@...> wrote:

                      > "Well I'm not..." Should it be funny? Dave, what is the problem? Have you paid in advance for Studio 1 with the promise of a delivery date? Here we are making serious software. It needs months or years to build a reputation and only hours to destroy it. Many SDR users have appreciated WRplus and there are expectations about Studio 1: I will not disappoint those people. I rather prefer a delay (in order to be sure that the application includes all the planned features and meet my requirements of reliability and performances) than a poor release. Anyway, the first release of Studio 1 SDR will be showed at the "Radioamatore HIFI Car" fair in Pordenone Italy on April 28-29 2012. I will personally show the application.
                      >
                      > 73 Sandro Sfregola
                      >

                      > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Dave GW4GTE" <dave@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Well I'm not - have I missed a 'network' button or is that feature on the PBP (please be patient) list?
                      > >
                      > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, pd0psb@ wrote:

                      > > > Has been this way since late november (the planned release date) and extended a few times.
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm quite sure Studio1 is well worth the wait though....
                      > > >
                      > > > 73
                      > > > Paul
                      > > > PD0PSB

                    • Diego Piscina
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 4, 2012
                        Dear All, will be Studio 1 the possibility to contro a TRX with CAT protocol ?
                        or will be possible to connect virtual com with commander or bobcat or something else  ?
                        Thanks
                        Take care

                        --
                        '73 de IW2MXE Diego
                      • Giuseppe Campana
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 5, 2012
                          Dave,

                          Yes, Studio1 is later than the schedule that we had set but was a very deep work in many aspects.
                          It is not a simple "remake" of W+, it is a totally new software, the problems and improvements that
                          Sandro had to resolve were inconceivable 1 year ago.

                          Sandro is a software man very picky and accurate, nothing is left to the case or approximate,
                          if everything is not like he wants, Studio1 not out of its PC to release.

                          None of us ever started talking about Studio1 on this forum, Sandro has only answered here to those who
                          reported of it looking WoodBoxRadio site from 1 February. The publication of several images was
                          authorized by Sandro, just because we are very close to the goal.

                          There is a dedicated Studio1 forum on Yahoo, without activity at the moment.

                          I can say only: stay tuned.

                          73 Beppe
                          ik3vig

                          woodboxradio

> [...]

                          > 73 Sandro Sfregola
                          >

                          > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Dave GW4GTE" <dave@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Well I'm not - have I missed a 'network' button or is that feature on the PBP (please be patient) list?
                          > >
                          > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, pd0psb@ wrote:

                          > > > Has been this way since late november (the planned release date) and extended a few times.
                          > > >
                          > > > I'm quite sure Studio1 is well worth the wait though....

                        • Roelof Bakker
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 5, 2012
                            Hello Dave,

                            As your email identity shows an amateur radio call sign, I presume that
                            you wrote your remarks as an amateur radio operator.
                            Looking at the content and attitude, I believe this is the wrong forum you
                            addressed.

                            Your remarks are completely reasonable in a top notch professional
                            environment, which this forum is certainly not.
                            In other words, you will be far better of dealing with firms like Rhode &
                            Schwarz, etc.
                            I hope cost is not an issue.
                            This is not a business class forum either, me think.

                            Best regards,
                            Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt
                          • Dave GW4GTE
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 5, 2012
                              Dear Beppe,

                              I wish you well with Studio 1 - I would always sooner wait for something that works right first time, but we get impatient sometimes!

                              Best wishes
                              Dave

                              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Giuseppe Campana <highqcollector@...> wrote:

                              > Dave,
                              >

                              > Yes, Studio1 is later than the schedule that we had set but was a very deep work in many aspects.
                              > It is not a simple "remake" of W+, it is a totally new software, the problems and improvements that
                              > Sandro had to resolve were inconceivable 1 year ago.
                              >
                              > Sandro is a software man very picky and accurate, nothing is left to the case or approximate,
                              > if everything is not like he wants, Studio1 not out of its PC to release.
                              >
                              > None of us ever started talking about Studio1 on this forum, Sandro has only answered here to those who
                              > reported of it looking WoodBoxRadio site from 1 February. The publication of several images was
                              > authorized by Sandro, just because we are very close to the goal.
                              >
                              > There is a dedicated Studio1 forum on Yahoo, without activity at the moment.
                              >
                              > I can say only: stay tuned.
                              >
                              > 73 Beppe
                              > ik3vig
                              >

                              > woodboxradio
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Dave GW4GTE
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 5, 2012
                                Dear Roelof,

                                I think maybe you are right, I am used to professional marketing and customer management. I just have a pet hate about alienating potential customers before you've even got something to sell them. Perhaps it should be called "The Gemini Effect"? If I was giving a marketing presentation boy is there a rich seam of material in these forums. Then again Perseus is holding its retail price for something that can't cost much more than 100 Euros to make (LTC2206 $39 100+)so what do I know?

                                My initial comment was really only a personal view on the networking feature, not any lateness in anything - go check.

                                You can't give everyone everything, and I'm sure if Studio 1 hits the right price point then for people who use SDR only locally it will be a winner, and I wish it well

                                Regards
                                Dave

                              • pd0psb@hotmail.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 29, 2012
                                  >the first release of Studio 1 SDR will be showed at the "Radioamatore HIFI Car" fair in Pordenone Italy on April 28-29 2012. I will personally show the application.
                                  >
                                  > 73 Sandro Sfregola

                                  Any info about this event will be highly appreciated across the borders of Italy ;-)

                                  73
                                  Paul
                                  PD0PSB