Re: Trojan in Perseus demo file?

  • bjarnemjelde
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2012
      I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials in all my PCs. It's free, reported to be efficient, gentle on your system, transparent and no false positives. And I have "loads" of SDR software installed ;-)

      Bjarne Mjelde

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "KGB" <kg.bergendahl@...> wrote:

      > Hello Dave,
      >
      > Many thanks for your input! I was very surprised when I had the virus alert yesterday. I will immediately uninstall AVG. Can you please tell me what I should install instead?
      >
      > 73,
      > Kjell-Göran
      >
      > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Personally, I would drop AVG. Perseus isn't the only system to suffer from false reports by their software. I am a member of several other reflectors for various well respected software systems and many suffer from these false reports by AVG software.
      > >
      > > Again personally, I abandonded AVG for the reason of false alerts and their strange habit of slowing PCs down by constantly searchibng themselves for viruses and then, whilst that search is going on, searching again. After a short while the PC effectively eats itself searching for viruses in AVG that don't exist.
      > >
      > > I've cured several PCs of this by just deleting the AVG software and installing software that actually works and is, often, cheaper than AVG or even free...
      > >
      > > Dave

    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2012
        I also agree with Bjarne's recommendation for Microsoft Security Essentials. I have used it since it first came out. It is now much better than it was initially. From my perspective it updates regularly, makes it easy to test individual files, and is transparent on my modest Pentium 4 desktop computer.

        Jerry Strawman
        Des Moines, Iowa
        USA

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "bjarnemjelde" <bjarne.mjelde@...> wrote:

        > I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials in all my PCs. It's free, reported to be efficient, gentle on your system, transparent and no false positives. And I have "loads" of SDR software installed ;-)
        >
        > Bjarne Mjelde
        >
        > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "KGB" <kg.bergendahl@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello Dave,
        > >
        > > Many thanks for your input! I was very surprised when I had the virus alert yesterday. I will immediately uninstall AVG. Can you please tell me what I should install instead?
        > >
        > > 73,
        > > Kjell-Göran
        > >
        > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Personally, I would drop AVG. Perseus isn't the only system to suffer from false reports by their software. I am a member of several other reflectors for various well respected software systems and many suffer from these false reports by AVG software.
        > > >
        > > > Again personally, I abandonded AVG for the reason of false alerts and their strange habit of slowing PCs down by constantly searchibng themselves for viruses and then, whilst that search is going on, searching again. After a short while the PC effectively eats itself searching for viruses in AVG that don't exist.
        > > >
        > > > I've cured several PCs of this by just deleting the AVG software and installing software that actually works and is, often, cheaper than AVG or even free...
        > > >
        > > > Dave

      • Tobbe
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 2, 2012

          Very funny…

          I have used AVG free version for a lot of years and Perseus for a year or so and no virus warnings whatsoever about Perseus software. Yet.

          Maybe it will show some day…

          /Torbjorn in Sweden

          Many thanks for your input! I was very surprised when I had the virus alert yesterday. I will immediately uninstall AVG. Can you please tell me what I should install instead?

          73,
          Kjell-Göran

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:

          > Personally, I would drop AVG.
          Perseus isn't the only system to suffer from false reports by their software. I am a member of several other reflectors for various well respected software systems and many suffer from these false reports by AVG software.

          > Again personally, I abandonded AVG for the reason of false alerts and their strange habit of slowing PCs down by constantly searchibng themselves for viruses and then, whilst that search is going on, searching again. After a short while the PC effectively eats itself searching for viruses in AVG that don't exist.
          >
          > I've cured several PCs of this by just deleting the AVG software and installing software that actually works and is, often, cheaper than AVG or even free...
          >
          > Dave

          No virus found in this message.

        • Roelof Bakker
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 3, 2012
            Hello all,

            Every evening I am receiving a weak time signal on 49.900 kHz (50 KHz)
            There is a time station mentioned at 50 kHz: RTZ, Irkutsk, Russia, power
            10 KW.
            Is there anybody closer by who can confirm that what I am hearing is
            indeed RTZ?

            I am listening in a 20 Hz bandwidth, as there is a much stronger carrier
            on 50 kHz exact.

            Any help is much appreciated.

            Best regards,
            Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt
          • Marco IK1ODO -2
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 3, 2012
              At 11:22 03-04-12, you wrote:
              >Hello all,
              >
              >Every evening I am receiving a weak time signal on 49.900 kHz (50 KHz)
              >There is a time station mentioned at 50 kHz: RTZ, Irkutsk, Russia, power
              >10 KW.
              >Is there anybody closer by who can confirm that what I am hearing is
              >indeed RTZ?
              >
              >I am listening in a 20 Hz bandwidth, as there is a much stronger carrier
              >on 50 kHz exact.

              May it be a sideband of RTZ (100 Hz hum modulation)?
              RTZ identifies by CW, see schedule in
              http://irkutsk.com/radio/tis.htm - should be easy to ident.

              73 - Marco IK1ODO
            • Roelof Bakker
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 3, 2012
                Hello Marco,

                Thank you very much indeed for the information regarding RTZ.
                I will try to catch the ID in morse!

                73,
                Roelof, pa0rdt
              • Koichi Hashimoto

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 31, 2012
                    I use Avira Free antivirus ( http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus ) for about last 8 years, it is free and good enough. But from my last 12-13 years experience I learned no antivirus (even premium priced ones) are complete enough as there is always some virus which your AV software don't cover! So, I use this free av and keep myself careful to pen drive/ flash disc / portable drives and keep myself careful about freebie offering sites.
                    --
                    Thanks & Regards,

                    Partha Sarathi Goswami
                    Siliguri
                    Dist. Darjeeling,West Bengal
                    INDIA
                    ------------------
                    Skype: dxinginfo

                    bada

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 31, 2012
                      Hello Partha.  Are you running on batteries?  Is the power failure behind you?

                      Regards,

                      Mark Durenberger

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 31, 2012
                        I am on Eastern grid, just after sending this mail, power gone, for about 5+ hours, during this time I took a nap and used my netbook for emergency communication. Actually failure occurred in the northern India Grid, to cover up West & Eastern Grid was supporting them, but due to heavy demand (and you may know or North Eastern Grid already sales electricity to southern Grid)
                        the Eastern grid also collapsed today. Now after 630 pm IST my city has electricity since we have a supportive Gas Power generating station which runs from 6pm evening to 1130pm night to balance the extra needs of the evening but don't know what will be after that. I work as a website developer, no power is a direct hit to my business.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 31, 2012
                          On 7/31/2012 9:12 AM, Partha Sarathi Goswami Siliguri, West Bengal, India wrote:
                          But from my last 12-13 years experience I learned no antivirus (even premium priced ones) are complete
                          enough as there is always some virus which your AV software don't cover!

                          When I have some doubts, I send the suspicious executable to this site
                          http://www.virustotal.com
                          There the file is analyzed by about 40 different antivirus programs, all kept up to date, and the results
                          are sent back to you in a couple of minutes.  You will receive practically always some positive reports,
                          the important is to interpret the results with a grain of salt....

                          --
                          73 Alberto I2PHD
                        • M Clark