Re: [perseus_SDR] Are there any more Perseus radios to be had?

  • Highq
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      Hi John,

      we are shipping all receivers ordered by ML&S and others delears, this week.
      Please be patient few days again.....

      Thank you

      73 Beppe
      IK3VIG

      www.cqdx.it

      At 01.50 01/05/2008, you wrote:

      I ordered mine 45 days ago from Martyn Lynch & Sons, but they still
      can't tell me when I will have it. Now they say that they cannot get
      any response from the manufacturer at all. Is the demand that high?
      Should I have ordered one from another distributor? They are still
      being produced, aren't they?

      regards,

      John

      __________ Informazione NOD32 3067 (20080430) __________

      Questo messaggio รจ stato controllato dal Sistema Antivirus NOD32
      http://www.nod32.it
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        Hi John,

        ML&S

        I used Luca at hoka.it, ordered mine on the Monday had it by DHL on
        Thursday.

        He may still have stock but it is worth an email to check.

        Also WoodBox may have them according to their website. And I did see
        someone in Switzerland on eBay with them as well.

        I gave up with ML&S after various reasons for the delay(s) were given.

        Regards,

        Steve

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "jmblack42" <johnmblack@...> wrote:

        > I ordered mine 45 days ago from Martyn Lynch & Sons, but they still
        > can't tell me when I will have it. Now they say that they cannot get
        > any response from the manufacturer at all. Is the demand that high?
        > Should I have ordered one from another distributor? They are still
        > being produced, aren't they?
        >
        > regards,
        >
        > John

      • jmblack42
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          Thanks, Steve and Beppe. I will wait a few more weeks!

          I had originally spoke to Luca at Hoka IT about a unit, but decided on
          ML&S because converting Dollars to Pounds gave me almost $100
          advantage over converting Dollars to Euros. Even so, the Perseus was
          over budget for me. I paid ML&S in advance because I was nervous about
          the dollar sinking further before they could ship one. So, I'll stick
          with Martyn.

          Luca was very helpful and friendly, by the way, and he understood why
          I chose ML&S.

          In the meantime, of course, more SDR's have popped out of the ether. I
          even see a Flex Radio knockoff coming out of India!

          regards,

          John KB5AG
          North Carolina
        • jmblack42
          Message 4 of 13 , May 14, 2008
            Just wanted to report that my Perseus arrived yesterday and is all I
            had hoped it would be. I just wish I hadn't put the UK mains plug on
            the AC adapter, because now I can't get it off! Oh well.

            ML&S actually has stock now, so I would advise checking with them if
            you want to buy a Perseus with US dollars. They were pleasant to deal
            with and a good bit lower in price than the other dealers I tried.

            I'm just getting acquainted with the radio, but so far I'm very
            pleased. It has great VLF performance here in North Carolina, and I've
            found no weird digital artifacts or overloading. Side by side, I
            still think my NRD-545 will dig out a weaker signal, but nothing is
            as fun as the Perseus!

            John KB5AG
          • Walter Salmaniw
            Message 5 of 13 , May 14, 2008
              At 02:33 PM 5/14/2008, you wrote:

              >Just wanted to report that my Perseus arrived yesterday and is all I
              >had hoped it would be. I just wish I hadn't put the UK mains plug on
              >the AC adapter, because now I can't get it off! Oh well.
              >
              >ML&S actually has stock now, so I would advise checking with them if
              >you want to buy a Perseus with US dollars. They were pleasant to deal
              >with and a good bit lower in price than the other dealers I tried.
              >
              >I'm just getting acquainted with the radio, but so far I'm very
              >pleased. It has great VLF performance here in North Carolina, and I've
              >found no weird digital artifacts or overloading. Side by side, I
              >still think my NRD-545 will dig out a weaker signal, but nothing is
              >as fun as the Perseus!
              >
              >John KB5AG

              John, I note that they now say that they've upped the price due to the poor UKP performance against the Euro. They're advertising UKP 649.95 which equates to about $1274 Cdn (which today is at par with the greenback). This compares to my 666 Euros from the Italian distributor last December, which is only $1034. Did you get a better deal or something? Either way, it's still a great deal for everything it can do. Still hoping for the built in multi timer function, though!!!! ......Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC, Canada.
            • Walter Salmaniw
              Message 6 of 13 , May 14, 2008
                I can answer my own question, I think. Taking out the 17.5% VAT, the price is very comparable now.....still a bit pricier than the 666 Euros, but barely. Via ML&S, I now get $1084 without the VAT. Still a few dollars pricier than via Italy and the Euro, though.......Walt.
                PS: I haven't included the shipping charges, though, so this might change the bottom line as well. ......Walt.

                At 02:50 PM 5/14/2008, you wrote:

                >At 02:33 PM 5/14/2008, you wrote:
                >
                >>Just wanted to report that my Perseus arrived yesterday and is all I
                >>had hoped it would be. I just wish I hadn't put the UK mains plug on
                >>the AC adapter, because now I can't get it off! Oh well.
                >>
                >>ML&S actually has stock now, so I would advise checking with them if
                >>you want to buy a Perseus with US dollars. They were pleasant to deal
                >>with and a good bit lower in price than the other dealers I tried.
                >>
                >>I'm just getting acquainted with the radio, but so far I'm very
                >>pleased. It has great VLF performance here in North Carolina, and I've
                >>found no weird digital artifacts or overloading. Side by side, I
                >>still think my NRD-545 will dig out a weaker signal, but nothing is
                >>as fun as the Perseus!
                >>
                >>John KB5AG
                >
                >John, I note that they now say that they've upped the price due to the poor UKP performance against the Euro. They're advertising UKP 649.95 which equates to about $1274 Cdn (which today is at par with the greenback). This compares to my 666 Euros from the Italian distributor last December, which is only $1034. Did you get a better deal or something? Either way, it's still a great deal for everything it can do. Still hoping for the built in multi timer function, though!!!! ......Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC, Canada.
                >
                >_
              • Sylvain Naud
                Message 7 of 13 , May 14, 2008
                  I'm about to make a move on the Perseus. I checked yesterday with the
                  new US distributor SSB-USA about pricing and delivery delays. Until
                  next sunday, they will ask $1299 USD plus shipping as an Hamfest
                  promotion. After that, it will be at $1379 USD plus shipping.It
                  should be there in about three weeks. It appears that WoodBox Radio
                  is a better deal for now. Even with 60 Euros for the shipping and 687
                  Euros for the SDR, with a total of $1158 CDN ($1160 USD),I should
                  save around $200 CDN!

                  Sylvain Naud
                  Portneuf,QC
                  CAN

                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Walter Salmaniw <salmaniw@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I can answer my own question, I think. Taking out the 17.5% VAT,
                  the price is very comparable now.....still a bit pricier than the 666
                  Euros, but barely. Via ML&S, I now get $1084 without the VAT. Still
                  a few dollars pricier than via Italy and the Euro, though.......Walt.
                  > PS: I haven't included the shipping charges, though, so this might
                  change the bottom line as well. ......Walt.

                  > At 02:50 PM 5/14/2008, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >At 02:33 PM 5/14/2008, you wrote:
                  > >
                  > >>Just wanted to report that my Perseus arrived yesterday and is
                  all I
                  > >>had hoped it would be. I just wish I hadn't put the UK mains plug
                  on
                  > >>the AC adapter, because now I can't get it off! Oh well.
                  > >>
                  > >>ML&S actually has stock now, so I would advise checking with them
                  if
                  > >>you want to buy a Perseus with US dollars. They were pleasant to
                  deal
                  > >>with and a good bit lower in price than the other dealers I
                  tried.

                  > >>I'm just getting acquainted with the radio, but so far I'm very
                  > >>pleased. It has great VLF performance here in North Carolina, and
                  I've
                  > >>found no weird digital artifacts or overloading. Side by side, I
                  > >>still think my NRD-545 will dig out a weaker signal, but nothing
                  is
                  > >>as fun as the Perseus!
                  > >>
                  > >>John KB5AG
                  > >
                  > >John, I note that they now say that they've upped the price due to
                  the poor UKP performance against the Euro. They're advertising UKP
                  649.95 which equates to about $1274 Cdn (which today is at par with
                  the greenback). This compares to my 666 Euros from the Italian
                  distributor last December, which is only $1034. Did you get a better
                  deal or something? Either way, it's still a great deal for everything
                  it can do. Still hoping for the built in multi timer function,
                  though!!!! ......Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC, Canada.

                  > >_

                • jmblack42
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 14, 2008
                    I had ordered my radio about 45 days ago, and asked ML&S to charge my
                    credit card at that time rather than when they shipped, as I was
                    worried about the exchange rate. I think I paid 535 UKP with freight,
                    so maybe this was one of the few times I actually made a good
                    decision! The rate was 1.92 at that time, so it would have been $1027.

                    I would still like to try out one of the RF Space SDR14's, and they
                    should be a real bargain for those outside of the US, but I believe
                    that the Perseus software has more neat features.

                    I will be going to Dayton, and wonder if any small SDR companies are
                    going to pop-up there? You know, it's not much of a reach to imagine
                    a portable radio with an LCD the size of the Eton E1, showing a
                    Perseus-type screen, so maybe we'll see a stand-alone SDR before too
                    many years.

                    In the meantime, the Perseus is going to consume many of my
                    recreational hours.

                    John KB5AG
                  • Guy Atkins
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 14, 2008
                      John,

                      It's possible you will see Phil Covington, designer of the QS1R receiver, at Dayton. He lives and works in Columbus, Ohio...not that far from Dayton.

                      Guy Atkins KE7MAV
                      Puyallup, WA USA

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 15, 2008
                        wrote:

                        > I had ordered my radio about 45 days ago, and asked ML&S to charge
                        my
                        > credit card at that time rather than when they shipped, as I was
                        > worried about the exchange rate. I think I paid 535 UKP with
                        freight,
                        > so maybe this was one of the few times I actually made a good
                        > decision! The rate was 1.92 at that time, so it would have been
                        $1027.

                        > I would still like to try out one of the RF Space SDR14's, and they
                        > should be a real bargain for those outside of the US, but I believe
                        > that the Perseus software has more neat features.
                        >
                        > I will be going to Dayton, and wonder if any small SDR companies are
                        > going to pop-up there? You know, it's not much of a reach to
                        imagine
                        > a portable radio with an LCD the size of the Eton E1, showing a
                        > Perseus-type screen, so maybe we'll see a stand-alone SDR before too
                        > many years.
                        >
                        > In the meantime, the Perseus is going to consume many of my
                        > recreational hours.
                        >
                        > John KB5AG

                        You got a good rate for sure. I ordered mine 53 days ago from WoodBox
                        using the PayPal option on their web site. The dollar equivalent
                        including shipping came to about $1190. Unfortunately I am still
                        waiting for mine; it hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully I will get it soon
                        so I can join in on the fun!

                        Tom K7WV
                      • Sylvain Naud
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 21, 2008
                          Just a small correction. Gerry Rodsky from SSB-USA emailed me to
                          advise that the retail price of the Perseus is $1299 USD. He told me
                          that he made an error on pricing in his previous email. They have it
                          in stock.

                          Sylvain Naud
                          Portneuf, QC
                          CAN

                        • jmblack42
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 23, 2008
                            Hi, Guy. I spoke with him at Dayton. He was at the TAPR booth. Very
                            interesting stuff..