Is Samsung N145 + PSU another noise monster?

  • Johan H. Bodin
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 2011
      Hi,

      yesterday, a swedish company offered Samsung's netbook NP-N145-JP03SE for about
      160 euro. I am usually immune against all kinds of advertisments but this time
      the price knocked me so hard that I simply couldnt resist the offer. I placed an
      order. Actually, I ordered two! :-)

      I know that others have been running Perseus "semi-successfully" on small Intel
      Atom computers. This one has Atom N455 CPU, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, Win7 starter
      edition. I don't expect full recording performance, I can even live with no
      recording at all as realtime listening is my main interest in this case.

      Is there anyone on the list who has experience of this computer and its power
      supply (especially noise-wise)?

      73
      Johan SM6LKM
    • Roelof Bakker
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 14, 2011
        Hello Johan,

        I own a Samsung NC-10 which is an older type with less computational power.
        For listening it is completely satisfactory and I used it for 400 kHz wide
        recordings as well.
        The power supply has a nasty spur around 400 kHz, but your model may
        differ of course.

        I use a Lenovo S-10 netbook with Windows 7 starter, with my online
        PERSEUS, which uses an Atom N455 processor and 1 GB RAM.
        Again this works OK. You might try it to see how it performs!

        73,
        Roelof, pa0rdt
      • Johan H. Bodin
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 14, 2011
          Thanks for the info' Roelof.

          I am listening to your online Perseus right now and it works just fine. From
          what I hear and see, I guess that you switched back from the 10m dipole to a
          MiniWhip or some other wideband antenna?

          Your noise floor has a slight 50/100Hz buzz on some bands, but it is still very
          good considering the number of neighbours that you have (I just zoomed in your
          QTH on the map). LF, and the "NDB band", sounds very good! What is the distance
          between house(s) and antenna?

          I am really looking forward to have a portable little PC dedicated to the
          Perseus. I hope that the Samsung PSU is more RF quiet than the Dell nightmare I
          went through before... :-)

          73
          Johan SM6LKM

          ----

          Roelof Bakker wrote:
          > I own a Samsung NC-10 which is an older type with less computational power.
          > For listening it is completely satisfactory and I used it for 400 kHz wide
          > recordings as well.
          > The power supply has a nasty spur around 400 kHz, but your model may
          > differ of course.
          >
          > I use a Lenovo S-10 netbook with Windows 7 starter, with my online
          > PERSEUS, which uses an Atom N455 processor and 1 GB RAM.
          > Again this works OK. You might try it to see how it performs!
          >
          > 73,
          > Roelof, pa0rdt
        • Roelof Bakker
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 15, 2011
            Hello Johan,

            Thank you for your comments.
            Yes, you were listening to my mini-whip.
            My garden is small, so the antenna is mounted 6 meter from the house at a
            height of 4 meter.
            It is coax fed and what helps a lot in regard to noise pick up, is
            grounding the shield of the coax at the bottom of the mast.

            The online PERSEUS sits in a fixed cupboard in the living room.
            With the door shut, I can't hear the relays when someone use the
            pre-selector or attenuator.

            Yes, the noise is not evenly distributed over the bands.
            After using this antenna for 6 years, I am still amazed what I can hear
            with it at LF.
            Last week conditions from the north were up and a NDB from Alaska could be
            heard for hours at a stretch.

            73,
            Roelof