Perseus under Parallels or VMWare Fusion anyone?

  • fotoralf@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 31, 2011
      Just checking: is there anyone who has ever succeded in getting his
      Perseus to work under Parallels or VMWare Fusion (Mac)?

      I'd hate to return it but having my Macbook run under Windows with
      Bootcamp all the time isn't an option.

      Ralf

      --
      Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
      Blog : http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 31, 2011
        I used to have my Perseus running on the Mac via Parallels and it worked perfectly. I never bothered with bootcamp because it always worked. regards

      • fotoralf@gmx.de
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
          James Muldoon <jamesmuldoon@...> wrote:

          > I used to have my Perseus running on the Mac via Parallels and
          > it worked perfectly. I never bothered with bootcamp because it
          > always worked. regards

          You mean it simply worked under Parallels, right out of the box?

          I've just spent a whole weekend testing under Parallels and VMWare
          Fusion and I'm not getting anywhere. The software will start under
          Parallels but no signal from the receiver. With VMWare the Perseus isn't
          even recognized. All this on a Macboook Pro, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB
          RAM. System is 10.6.8.

          Is there something I don't know or haven't tried?

          Ralf

          --
        • pd0psb@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
            <jamesmuldoon@...> wrote:
            > I used to have my Perseus running on the Mac via Parallels and it worked perfectly. I never bothered with bootcamp because it always worked. regards

            Tell us all about how you did it!!
            I never got Perseus to work under parallels.
            Just file playback but no UDP streams, no HW recognition.

            73
            Paul
            PD0PSB
          • James Muldoon
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
              I'm sorry it was 2 years ago and maybe I'm losing my memory. I thought for sure it worked but perhaps I did use bootcamp. Sorry for the wrong info.

              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, pd0psb@... wrote:

              > <jamesmuldoon@> wrote:
              > > I used to have my Perseus running on the Mac via Parallels and it worked perfectly. I never bothered with bootcamp because it always worked. regards
              >
              > Tell us all about how you did it!!
              > I never got Perseus to work under parallels.
              > Just file playback but no UDP streams, no HW recognition.
              >
              > 73
              > Paul
              > PD0PSB

            • IZ4MJP
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                The same here! I'm a Macintosh technician since 1987 and i've tried booth Parallels and VM Ware but .... Nothing!

                It works with a bootcamp partition without problem but not in a virtualized world!

                Please let us know how you resolved the question.

                73
                Franco, IZ4MJP

                Inviato da iPad
              • alexanderhck
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                  Hi!

                  I don't know anything about Mac, but VMware Player doesn't make any problem here. The only think I have to do is connect the USB-Device (Perseus) to the VM. It works with host Win7(64) and guest OpenSuse11(64) but should also work with other combinations...

                  Alex

                • fotoralf@gmx.de
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                    IZ4MJP <iz4mjp@...> wrote:

                    > It works with a bootcamp partition without problem but not in a
                    > virtualized world!

                    Pity, really. Anyone interested in an as-new Perseus, a mere four days
                    old?

                    Ralf

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                      For who's interested:
                      SDR-Radio does work under Parallels, buth in local/remote configuration..

                      73
                      Paul
                      PD0PSB

                      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, fotoralf@... wrote:

                      > IZ4MJP <iz4mjp@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > It works with a bootcamp partition without problem but not in a
                      > > virtualized world!
                      >
                      > Pity, really. Anyone interested in an as-new Perseus, a mere four days
                      > old?
                      >
                      > Ralf
                      >
                      > --
                      > Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
                      > Blog : http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com
                      > Audio : http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf
                      > Web : http://www.fotoralf.de

                    • eliocor1
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "alexanderhck" <alexanderhck@...> wrote:
                        > I don't know anything about Mac, but VMware Player doesn't make any problem here. The only think I have to do is connect the USB-Device (Perseus) to the VM. It works with host Win7(64) and guest OpenSuse11(64) but should also work with other combinations...

                        The problem is not VMware but the CRAPPY implementation of the USB interface on Mac OS X.
                        I can say for certain, having developed USB devices (even on Mac) for several years.
                        Mac users: maybe you are under the "Reality distortion field" and everything seems rosy, but unfortunately for you OS X is not suited for such tasks. Period.

                        _ Elio.
                      • fotoralf@gmx.de
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                          eliocor1 <eliocor@...> wrote:

                          > Mac users: maybe you are under the "Reality distortion field" and
                          > everything seems rosy, but unfortunately for you OS X is not suited
                          > for such tasks. Period.

                          If this helps you to cope with the misery of a life under Windoze,
                          you're welcome to it.

                          Ralf

                          --
                          Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
                          Blog : http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com
                          Web : http://www.fotoralf.de
                        • David Lusthof
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                            On 01-08-11 16:53, fotoralf@... wrote:
                            > eliocor1 <eliocor@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Mac users: maybe you are under the "Reality distortion field" and
                            >> everything seems rosy, but unfortunately for you OS X is not suited
                            >> for such tasks. Period.
                            >
                            > If this helps you to cope with the misery of a life under Windoze,
                            > you're welcome to it.
                            >
                            > Ralf

                            Cannibal hamster fanboy fight!

                            /me grabs popcorn
                          • pd0psb@hotmail.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                              > Mac users: maybe you are under the "Reality distortion field" and everything seems rosy, but unfortunately for you OS X is not suited for such tasks. Period.
                              > _ Elio.

                              Mac OSX not suited for audio-over-USB? (which SDR in essence is)
                              You are kidding us, right? :-)

                              73
                              Paul
                              PD0PSB
                            • eliocor1
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, pd0psb@... wrote:

                                > > Mac users: maybe you are under the "Reality distortion field" and everything seems rosy, but unfortunately for you OS X is not suited for such tasks. Period.
                                > > _ Elio.
                                >
                                > Mac OSX not suited for audio-over-USB? (which SDR in essence is)
                                > You are kidding us, right? :-)

                                Maybe you are not understanding what I have wrote:
                                The implementation of the _USB_layer_ in OS X is really crappy: I was not talking about some specific (Audio) classes of devices.
                                For several years I developed the entire HID Power device interface for UPS devices. The worst environment for low level development (under Windows/Linux/OS X) is the one made by Apple.
                                Just an example, the support for HID Power devices was implemented (IIRC) by Apple only on OS X 10.4.1: on Windows 2000 it was already there!
                                Not to mention some function calls (USB support) which were defined in the documentation but were not implemented: they were empty and just returned 0!!!
                                For several years I worked daily with Windows/Linux/Apple machines and the ones I hated most were the Macs for their lack of detailed documentation on their inner working.
                                But I'm not a typical user of PC/Mac/...: I'm a low level HW/FW developer so my vision is a bit different from a typical casual user.
                                Maybe my small experience on such innards of the OS easily explains me why it will be very difficult to implement a functioning USB "stack" which will let your Perseus work under an emulator.

                                _ Elio.
                              • Alberto I2PHD
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                                  On 8/1/2011 6:02 PM, pd0psb@... wrote:
                                  Mac OSX not suited for audio-over-USB? (which SDR in essence is)
                                  You are kidding us, right? :-)
                                  No, Perseus SDR in *NOT* audio-over-USB....  that's true for simpler implementations.
                                  Perseus sends I/Q data not to the audio interface of Windows, but to an end point defined by
                                  the application program.  It needs a robust, well done and adhering to the standards
                                  implementation  of the USB protocol, something the MAC is *NOT* capable of.

                                  Apple thinks that Apple products must be used *only* with other Apple products.  Period.
                                  They are arrogant in modifying the standards in the way that most suits their needs.
                                  This is why in my house a MAC has never entered and never will.

                                  --
                                  73 Alberto I2PHD
                                • pd0psb@hotmail.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                                    Okay, okay, fine gentlemen!
                                    No need to bite my head off :-)

                                    I was just surprised by your remarks as I run magnitudes of audio&video over macs on a daily basis for the past 18 years to make a living.

                                    (with pretty fine results and only few problems)

                                    73
                                    Paul
                                    PD0PSB

                                  • pd0psb@hotmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011
                                      Still does not explain why UDP streams to Perseus client are blocked under Parallels as well...

                                      73
                                      Paul
                                      PD0PSB

                                      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, pd0psb@... wrote:

                                      > Okay, okay, fine gentlemen!
                                      > No need to bite my head off :-)
                                      >
                                      > I was just surprised by your remarks as I run magnitudes of audio&video over macs on a daily basis for the past 18 years to make a living.
                                      >
                                      > (with pretty fine results and only few problems)
                                      >
                                      > 73
                                      > Paul
                                      > PD0PSB
                                      >

                                      > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > On 8/1/2011 6:02 PM, pd0psb@ wrote:
                                      > > > Mac OSX not suited for audio-over-USB? (which SDR in essence is)
                                      > > > You are kidding us, right? :-)
                                      > > No, Perseus SDR in *NOT* audio-over-USB.... that's true for simpler implementations.
                                      > > Perseus sends I/Q data not to the audio interface of Windows, but to an end point defined by
                                      > > the application program. It needs a robust, well done and adhering to the standards
                                      > > implementation of the USB protocol, something the MAC is *NOT* capable of.
                                      > >
                                      > > Apple thinks that Apple products must be used *only* with other Apple products. Period.
                                      > > They are arrogant in modifying the standards in the way that most suits their needs.
                                      > > This is why in my house a MAC has never entered and never will.
                                      > >
                                      > > --
                                      > > /*73 Alberto I2PHD*/

                                    • Simon HB9DRV
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011

                                        $ call/phone/number=un_security_council/level=severe

                                        Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                                        http://sdr-radio.com

                                        From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Lusthof

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 1, 2011

                                          I have a mac mini – nice hardware, especially when running Windows.

                                          OS-X is style over substance. I am underwhelmed.

                                          Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                                          http://sdr-radio.com

                                          From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alberto I2PHD

                                          This is why in my house a MAC has never entered and never will.

                                        • Gus Lott
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 11, 2013
                                            Setup:
                                            Bootcamp 4.1
                                            Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64bit

                                            Perseus plugged into USB port on MacMini. Only other USB device is keyboard. Power light on.

                                            Device Driver:
                                            Perseus HF Receiver (USB)
                                            Device type: Microtelecom Devices
                                            Manufacturer: Mictotelecom s.r.l
                                            Location: Location 0(Port_#0002Hub_#0001)
                                            Driver date: 12/2/2009
                                            Driver Version: 1.0.3.0
                                            The device is working properly.
                                            Plug in - recognizes. Unplug - device disappears.

                                            Perseus 4.1a Loads but says trial period expired.
                                            Perseus 4.0b Loads and will playback .wav files properly. Does not see hardware.

                                            Has anyone gotten this to work in Bootcamp? If so, how do you get it to recognize the receiver?

                                            73/gus kr4k