AOR7030 vs Perseus on You Tube

  • Claudio Re
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2011
    • Dominique Kremp
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2011

        Thanks, interesting indeed.

        I bet the Perseus is able to bring a better signal with HDSDR or Winrad !

        BTW, what's the knob the guy is using on the left ? Is it the PowerMate from Griffin Technology ?

        I must say I never got it to work properly with Perseus despite a lot of tries !

        Dominique

          > I bet the Perseus is able to bring a better signal with HDSDR or Winrad !

          I don't believe it so.

          Please, make the following example:

          1. Detach the antenna from your Perseus,
          2. Tune it to 9710 kHz/AM as shown in the movie,
          3. Set the DDC sampling rate to 125 kS/s,
          4. Select the 12 kHz bandwidth button and
          with the mouse wheel set the IF bandwidth to 6 kHz,
          5. Enable the the Main Average and set the slider so
          that the noise shown in the main spectrum gets smooth,
          6. Set the S-Meter in RMS mode to read the rms noise power
          in a 6 kHz bandwidth,
          7. Enable the Presel, disable the Preamp and Dither in the
          front-end control pane,
          8. Set the main spectrum span to 100 kHz,

          Now give a look to your Perseus window and compare it with
          that of the movie. They should look almost identical, with the
          difference that you won't be able to listen to radio Australia
          because in Step 1 you have detached your antenna from the receiver.
          Right?

          Compare the reading of your S-Meter with that of the movie.
          Uh Oh! They indicate roughly the same S2 level, a bare -114 dBm level or so (if you open the software setting dialog and change the S-Meter units to dBuV it should now indicate a -6 dBuV level or so, that is 0.5 microvolt or so).

          Don't you find quite singular that your software is measuring in the same bandwidth the power which is measured in the movie where it is supposed that an antenna is connected to the receiver?
          An efficient antenna should exhibit tens dBs of noise excess at that frequency. Why it doesn't? Is it a short one? Has any attenuator placed between it and the receiver, was this due to a badly isolated or faulty antenna splitter either he took the movie just during an exceptional day in which our galaxy didn't emit the noise we expect to receive from?
          I'm sure that IK1QLD would like to comment this further.
          He should also be able to explain why in his movie the audio that comes out the AOR7030 sounds much better than that of Perseus.

          Btw, it's just matter of the difference of the two receivers noise figures, 9 dB for the AOR7030/Preamp ON and about 9 dB more for the Perseus.
          If the sky temperature seen by the antenna were 300 K, as it looks in the movie, you would get 9 dB more SNR from the AOR7030.
          But you would need a very inefficient antenna to get such a difference, either placing an 20 dB attenuator between it and the two receivers.
          Efficient short wave antennas see a much higher sky temperature: for a 20 dB excess noise which is the minimum value that one can expect up to 20 MHz or so, the difference in sensitivity would be negligible but the dynamic range of the AOR7030 with its preamplifier would be much lower than that of Perseus.

          Nice to see that nowadays anyone can (coarsely) measure noise figures with new RF instruments like You Tube :-)

          73s
          Nico / IV3NWV
        • DirkCL
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1, 2011
            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:

            > Don't you find quite singular that your software is measuring in the
            > same bandwidth the power which is measured in the movie where it is > supposed that an antenna is connected to the receiver?
            > An efficient antenna should exhibit tens dBs of noise excess at that frequency. Why it doesn't? Is it a short one? Has any attenuator
            > placed between it and the receiver, was this due to a badly
            > isolated > or faulty antenna splitter either he took the movie just > during an exceptional day in which our galaxy didn't emit the noise we expect to receive from?

            Indeed very mysterious, Nico...

            As measured here with the settings as described by you:

            No antenna : -115 dBm
            PaoRDT miniwhip at 5m : -100 dBm
            Long Wire 25m at 10m : -90 dBm

            73 - Dirk
          • Dominique Kremp
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1, 2011
              Hi Nico,
              Thanks for your technical explanations.
              I mentioned the HDSDR and the Winrad softwares because I find the S/N seems
              to be lower. As an addict NDBs hunter, I dig out very weak stations far
              easier with these softwares than with the Perseus' one. Furthermore, the AM
              stations sound to me smoother.
              Of course not everybody shares my opinion ...
              Back to your post. I'm impatient like you about IK1QLD comments. How did he
              test both receivers ? In which configurations ? Are they reliable ?
              Hopefully he'll now answer these questions !
              Have a nice week end

              Dominique

> [...]

              the AOR7030 sounds much better than that of Perseus.

              Btw, it's just matter of the difference of the two receivers noise figures,
              9 dB for the AOR7030/Preamp ON and about 9 dB more for the Perseus.
              If the sky temperature seen by the antenna were 300 K, as it looks in the
              movie, you would get 9 dB more SNR from the AOR7030.
              But you would need a very inefficient antenna to get such a difference,
              either placing an 20 dB attenuator between it and the two receivers.
              Efficient short wave antennas see a much higher sky temperature: for a 20 dB
              excess noise which is the minimum value that one can expect up to 20 MHz or
              so, the difference in sensitivity would be negligible but the dynamic range
              of the AOR7030 with its preamplifier would be much lower than that of
              Perseus.

              Nice to see that nowadays anyone can (coarsely) measure noise figures with

            • Alex Crow
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 1, 2011
                I think it's probably down to the antennas and/or the input level to the RX. The chap that made the video made no indication of the settings on the AOR, so this is a just a guess - it may be of course that the splitter is dodgy or other factors are at play in the video.

                With a direct sampling RX you want as much signal going into the A/D as possible without clipping.

                A preamp (with preselection before it to limit intermod in the amp) or a "louder" antenna would probably put the Perseus back on top.

                I have a Wellbrook ALA1530S+, and I think with the Perseus it could do with another 6db gain once past as low as 7MHz or so, and 12db above 15MHz. With a longwire and a 1:6 or 1:9 balun sensitivity is higher but the longwire is *much* worse for local interference.

                I do wonder if the ALA330S with more gain on SW and less on MW and below would be better for higher SW freqs.

                It would be nice if the preamp on the Perseus was bypassable (without voiding warranty) with connections on the case so you could insert your own preamp after the preselection filters.

                CHeers

                Alex

                On 01/07/11 16:06, DirkCL wrote:

                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:

                > Don't you find quite singular that your software is measuring in the
                > same bandwidth the power which is measured in the movie where it is > supposed that an antenna is connected to the receiver?
                > An efficient antenna should exhibit tens dBs of noise excess at that frequency. Why it doesn't? Is it a short one? Has any attenuator
                > placed between it and the receiver, was this due to a badly
                > isolated > or faulty antenna splitter either he took the movie just > during an exceptional day in which our galaxy didn't emit the noise we expect to receive from?

                Indeed very mysterious, Nico...

                As measured here with the settings as described by you:

                No antenna : -115 dBm
                PaoRDT miniwhip at 5m : -100 dBm
                Long Wire 25m at 10m : -90 dBm

                73 - Dirk

              • Werner Karn
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 1, 2011
                  Alex,

                  I have an ALA1530 and an ALA1530S and have a noise level at 30 Mhz of

                  -147dBm/Hz with ALA1530  and
                  -135dBm/Hz with ALA1530S.

                  As the receiver sensitivity is -153dBm/Hz, both Antennas are fully sufficient for use with Perseus.

                  In fact the higher amplifying version is limiting dynamic range when strong stations are present leading to earlier clipping.

                  73,

                  Werner

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 1, 2011
                    Werner

                    Are you saying you get the clip light on the Perseus above 2MHz with the attenuators off?

                    Despite being in the middle of London I don't get this. Are you close to some big transmitters? I only see the clip light on on MW or below, usually 10dB att is enough to get rid of it, 20dB will never show clipping.

                    Cheers

                    Alex

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 1, 2011
                      Alex,

                      sorry, I should have made this more clear. You are right that in most cases the MW transmitters will show the strongest signals. In my case the strongest is showing -25dBm, so even summing up the total band will show no clipping on both antennas.
                      However, when transmitting myself with a close by antenna, the power level I can transmit without showing clipping is a difference of 12dB ( see below ) on the 2 antennas, i.e. with ALA1530 listening I can transmit with 50W without clipping at the same time, while with 1530S the limit is 3W. And without any difference ( i.e. compromising ) on the receiving results.

                      73,

                      Werner

                      On 01/07/11 16:06, DirkCL wrote:

                      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:

                      > Don't you find quite singular that your software is measuring in the
                      > same bandwidth the power which is measured in the movie where it is > supposed that an antenna is connected to the receiver?
                      > An efficient antenna should exhibit tens dBs of noise excess at that frequency. Why it doesn't? Is it a short one? Has any attenuator
                      > placed between it and the receiver, was this due to a badly
                      > isolated > or faulty antenna splitter either he took the movie just > during an exceptional day in which our galaxy didn't emit the noise we expect to receive from?

                      Indeed very mysterious, Nico...

                      As measured here with the settings as described by you:

                      No antenna : -115 dBm
                      PaoRDT miniwhip at 5m : -100 dBm
                      Long Wire 25m at 10m : -90 dBm

                      73 - Dirk

                    • iv3nwv
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 1, 2011
                        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Werner Karn <werner.karn@...> wrote:

                        > I have an ALA1530 and an ALA1530S and have a noise level at 30 Mhz of
                        >
                        > -147dBm/Hz with ALA1530 and
                        > -135dBm/Hz with ALA1530S.
                        >
                        > As the receiver sensitivity is -153dBm/Hz, both Antennas are fully
                        > sufficient for use with Perseus.

                        Oh, Werner, that's right.
                        But you are forgetting those lucky men who owns cryogenic SW antennas placed inside expensive Faraday cages that exhibit a noise level well below -174 dbm/Hz ;-)

                        73s
                        Nico / IV3NWV
                      • Roelof Bakker
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 3, 2011
                          Hello all,

                          My PERSEUS server is available for the 12:00 UTC transmission of SAQ on
                          17.2 kHz.
                          I have omitted the broadband pre-amplifier, which does attenuate signals
                          below 50 kHz.

                          73,
                          Roelof, pa0rdt
                        • dylerware
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 3, 2011
                            I'll record it too, small bandwidth perseus .wav!

                            (group admin, maybe move this into a new thread? Or Roelof make a new topic and we both delete ours?)

                            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@...> wrote:

                            > Hello all,
                            >
                            > My PERSEUS server is available for the 12:00 UTC transmission of SAQ on
                            > 17.2 kHz.
                            > I have omitted the broadband pre-amplifier, which does attenuate signals
                            > below 50 kHz.
                            >
                            > 73,
                            > Roelof, pa0rdt

                          • Werner Karn
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 3, 2011
                              transmission started already 1142UTC;  now  QSV DE SAQ
                              SNR is 12dB here near Munich; frequency drifting with mid pont at 17,24kHz ( +/- 0,01 Khz ).

                              73,

                              Werner

                              2011/7/3 dylerware <id@...>

                              I'll record it too, small bandwidth perseus .wav!

                              (group admin, maybe move this into a new thread? Or Roelof make a new topic and we both delete ours?)

                              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@...> wrote:

                              > Hello all,
                              >
                              > My PERSEUS server is available for the 12:00 UTC transmission of SAQ on
                              > 17.2 kHz.
                              > I have omitted the broadband pre-amplifier, which does attenuate signals
                              > below 50 kHz.
                              >
                              > 73,
                              > Roelof, pa0rdt

                            • dylerware
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 3, 2011
                                I started recording 1147UTC. But at 1152UTC i had my ALA 1530 pointed to Grimeton. It appears to have made a difference. I am recording as perseus .wav so i can check back later!

                                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Werner Karn <werner.karn@...> wrote:

                                > transmission started already 1142UTC; now QSV DE SAQ
                                > SNR is 12dB here near Munich; frequency drifting with mid pont at 17,24kHz (
                                > +/- 0,01 Khz ).
                                >
                                > 73,
                                >
                                > Werner
                                >
                                > 2011/7/3 dylerware <id@...>
                                >
                                > > **
                                > >

                                > > I'll record it too, small bandwidth perseus .wav!
                                > >
                                > > (group admin, maybe move this into a new thread? Or Roelof make a new topic
                                > > and we both delete ours?)
                                > >

                                > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hello all,
                                > > >
                                > > > My PERSEUS server is available for the 12:00 UTC transmission of SAQ on
                                > > > 17.2 kHz.
                                > > > I have omitted the broadband pre-amplifier, which does attenuate signals
                                > > > below 50 kHz.
                                > > >
                                > > > 73,
                                > > > Roelof, pa0rdt

                              • Werner Karn
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 3, 2011
                                  end of transmission; reception was pretty good with a constant 12dB SNR

                                  2011/7/3 dylerware <id@...>

                                  I started recording 1147UTC. But at 1152UTC i had my ALA 1530 pointed to Grimeton. It appears to have made a difference. I am recording as perseus .wav so i can check back later!

                                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Werner Karn <werner.karn@...> wrote:

                                  > transmission started already 1142UTC; now QSV DE SAQ
                                  > SNR is 12dB here near Munich; frequency drifting with mid pont at 17,24kHz (
                                  > +/- 0,01 Khz ).
                                  >
                                  > 73,
                                  >
                                  > Werner
                                  >
                                  > 2011/7/3 dylerware <id@...>
                                  >
                                  > > **

                                  > > I'll record it too, small bandwidth perseus .wav!
                                  > >
                                  > > (group admin, maybe move this into a new thread? Or Roelof make a new topic
                                  > > and we both delete ours?)
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hello all,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > My PERSEUS server is available for the 12:00 UTC transmission of SAQ on
                                  > > > 17.2 kHz.
                                  > > > I have omitted the broadband pre-amplifier, which does attenuate signals
                                  > > > below 50 kHz.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > 73,
                                  > > > Roelof, pa0rdt

                                • dylerware
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 3, 2011
                                    What is that 12dB SNR in Perseus S-meter value?
                                    My recording are being uploaded, i'll make a new topic. Give it about 1:30 hour.

                                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Werner Karn <werner.karn@...> wrote:

                                    > end of transmission; reception was pretty good with a constant 12dB SNR
                                  • Peter
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 3, 2011
                                      Here in the north also good reception on 17.22 khz. Signal around s-8, 25dbuV on the Wellbrook ALA 100 24mtr wire loop. But weak on the ALA 1530S+.

                                      73 Peter

                                      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Werner Karn <werner.karn@...> wrote:

                                      > end of transmission; reception was pretty good with a constant 12dB SNR
                                      >
                                      > 2011/7/3 dylerware <id@...>
                                      >
                                      > > **
                                      > >

                                      > > I started recording 1147UTC. But at 1152UTC i had my ALA 1530 pointed to
                                      > > Grimeton. It appears to have made a difference. I am recording as perseus
                                      > > .wav so i can check back later!
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Werner Karn <werner.karn@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > transmission started already 1142UTC; now QSV DE SAQ
                                      > > > SNR is 12dB here near Munich; frequency drifting with mid pont at
                                      > > 17,24kHz (
                                      > > > +/- 0,01 Khz ).
                                      > > >
                                      > > > 73,
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Werner

                                      > > topic

                                      > > on
                                      > > signals

                                    • Werner Karn
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 3, 2011
                                        forgot to mention, my bandwidth used was 240Hz

                                        2011/7/3 Peter <auroraradio@...>

                                        Here in the north also good reception on 17.22 khz. Signal around s-8, 25dbuV on the Wellbrook ALA 100 24mtr wire loop. But weak on the ALA 1530S+.

                                        73 Peter

                                        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Werner Karn <werner.karn@...> wrote:

                                        > end of transmission; reception was pretty good with a constant 12dB SNR
                                        >
                                        > 2011/7/3 dylerware <id@...>
                                        >
                                        > > **

                                        > > I started recording 1147UTC. But at 1152UTC i had my ALA 1530 pointed to
                                        > > Grimeton. It appears to have made a difference. I am recording as perseus
                                        > > .wav so i can check back later!
                                        > >

                                        > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Werner Karn <werner.karn@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > transmission started already 1142UTC; now QSV DE SAQ
                                        > > > SNR is 12dB here near Munich; frequency drifting with mid pont at
                                        > > 17,24kHz (
                                        > > > +/- 0,01 Khz ).
                                        > > >
                                        > > > 73,
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Werner