Re: FM BAND ADD ON

  • dylerware
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2011
      That's good news Günter!

      I can't wait to recieve one myself.
      As posted before, i am in a super dense FM area:
      http://x264.nl/dump/875-1048mhz.html
      http://x264.nl/dump/1049-1079mhz.html

      These reports are made with the Sony HD XDR-F1HD tuner.
      I'll update the files with dB values on both audio and signal when i got the FM+

      And about RDS... 90.6 Joe FM from Belgium i get RDS from that station, so we shall see how the FM+ compares!

      FM antenna is 50 meters off the ground completely free in the air! :)
      Sirio CX 4-83 http://www.sirioantenne.it/prodotti_ant.php?idp=90 works perfect on the 3 meter band.

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Günter Lorenz <glorenz@...> wrote:

      > > Has no one bought one of the units that were for sale at the
      > > hamfest???
      > >
      > > I kinda expected a real side by side test with a Sony hd set,
      > > or 920 by now from an FM dxer.
      >
      > I am one of those happy few who already have got the FM+ (serial 00011). I did a first comparison on Monday, with Es and Tropo signals, against the Sony XDR F1HD. Using the same antenna (via amplifier/splitter) and same speaker / headset in parallel. First impressions, the FM+ showed a cleaner, more precise and better readable audio on threshold signals. RDS comes in at least as good as on the Sony. Playing with filter bandwidths really gives you full control. It is a bit tricky to optimize settings during fast-changing Es reception, where stations with different deviation and in different QRM situations arrive. Being able to work on the recordings takes off a lot of pressure... unfortunately limited to 1.6 MHz BW, but a lot better than with Sony (only live listening!). ECSS-like tuning is possible, avoiding splatter from neighbouring channel better than Sony.
      > Don't expect miracles on RDS reception. A signal needs to have a certain RF quality to provide RDS. FM+ software does show you the RF, the MPX and the RDS signals, e.g. you can "see" if a station transmits in Stereo.
      > I hope to find some time on the next weekend for further comparison.
      >
      > 73,
      > Günter

    • iv3nwv
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1 10:56 AM
        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Günter Lorenz <glorenz@...> wrote:

        > I hope to find some time on the next weekend for further comparison.

        Thanks for your report, Günter.
        I'm glad that you look a happy owner :-)

        Btw, it was nice to meet you at Ham Radio also this year.
        Your italian language is really good, I wonder where you have learned it. It made me feel really comfortable.

        73s,
        Nico
      • dl1sax
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 11 2:12 PM
          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "scottish_dxer_ken" <jokethebiker@...> wrote:

          > Has no one bought one of the units that were for sale at the hamfest???
          >
          > I kinda expected a real side by side test with a Sony hd set, or 920 by now from an FM dxer.
          >
          > How many were sold at the Hamfest???
          >
          > Ken
          >
          > Scotland

          Hello together,

          i also got a FM+ unit at Friedrichshafen with serial number 14.

          I have tested it during the last 2 weeks using a 4 element-yagi with rotor 12 m above ground, directly connected to FM+ input.

          The first reception tests showed, that it was possible to reduce the bandwith even down to 20 kHz having nearly no distortion on the audio signal - that was a big surprise to have a good audio at that bandwith.

          It was no problem to seperate FM stations in 100 kHz distance, even if the wanted signal was much lower as the unwanted signal if the bandwith was set between 50 kHz and 20 kHz.

          I also made a comparism with a R&S ESVP receiver, which had 1 MHz, 120 kHz (at -6 dB), 12 kHz and 7,5 kHz bandwith. The 120 kHz filter has a 6/60 dB bandwith ratio of 1:2,5.

          In the 120 kHz-mode the R&S ESVP could not reach the dynamic selectivity as the FM+ in 20 kHz mode. The FM+ could even handle 2 signals in 100 kHz distance where the wanted signal was about 35 dB weaker as the unwanted - incredible !

          So i think FM+ helps very well to cut out the wanted signals out of a dense FM spectrum.

          Many greetings from Heilbronn,

          Jürgen, DL1SAX
        • iv3nwv
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 11 4:47 PM
            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Udo Isaenko <dx@...> wrote:

            > SSB had five of them to sell. I don't know how much had other sellers
            > like Woodbox radio, but I guess they did not have a lot more to sell
            > than five.

            True, Udo.
            The first FM+ converters batch was quite small (a mere 15 units).
            Five of them I've been ordered before Ham Radio. The remaining units have been provided to SSB and WoodBoxRadio in equal quantities.

            > My test report is intended to be published in german language in the
            > next issue of REFLEXION (club magazine of UKW/TV-Arbeitskreis der AGDX
            > e.V.), but Günter Lorenz has told me that he intends to translate a
            > summary of it into english (and maybe italian) language to publish it
            > via mailing lists or internet.

            Please, feel free to add your test report also in the file section of this group if you wish it so and if the Reflexion club magazine editors have nothing in contrary with it. Günter's translations will be of help for those like me who have more than some limits in their german language :-)

            73s
            Nico / IV3NWV
          • Anders
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 11 8:29 PM
              A real live report can be seen on my DX Perseus blog, and in the Worldwide Visual Logbook. FM+ s/n 00003 has performed excellent indeed. During the incredible Es on July 6, I have made many fine loggings. Signalhandling and selectivity is outstanding. FM+ wins in Round 1 on knock-out vs any other traditional FM-tuner.

              http://dxperseus.blogspot.com/2011/07/fantastisk-fm-logg-den-6-juli.html

              73
              Anders

              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:

              > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Udo Isaenko <dx@> wrote:
              >
              > > SSB had five of them to sell. I don't know how much had other sellers
              > > like Woodbox radio, but I guess they did not have a lot more to sell
              > > than five.
              >
              > True, Udo.
              > The first FM+ converters batch was quite small (a mere 15 units).
              > Five of them I've been ordered before Ham Radio. The remaining units have been provided to SSB and WoodBoxRadio in equal quantities.
              >
              > > My test report is intended to be published in german language in the
              > > next issue of REFLEXION (club magazine of UKW/TV-Arbeitskreis der AGDX
              > > e.V.), but Günter Lorenz has told me that he intends to translate a
              > > summary of it into english (and maybe italian) language to publish it
              > > via mailing lists or internet.
              >
              > Please, feel free to add your test report also in the file section of this group if you wish it so and if the Reflexion club magazine editors have nothing in contrary with it. Günter's translations will be of help for those like me who have more than some limits in their german language :-)
              >
              > 73s
              > Nico / IV3NWV

            • Günter Lorenz
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 4, 2011
                Hi Nico,

                (quoting myself)
                > > I hope to find some time on the next weekend for further comparison.

                Sorry for late reply, but I was busy in other dimensions ... But I see a light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train.
                Therefore, no news from me on FM+ yet, and no translations yet.

                > Btw, it was nice to meet you at Ham Radio also this year.
                > Your italian language is really good, I wonder where you have
                > learned it. It made me feel really comfortable.

                Thank you, I also enjoyed talking and listening to you!
                My Italian is a matter of survival - my wife is Italian (from Pavia province).
                One can learn any language in such circumstances, however, one should not try to learn too many other languages ;-)

                Hearing and "understanding" other languages for me is a very fascinating aspect of DXing, some DXers can distinguish languages that others do not even know they exist.

                To close on topic, my Perseus server is online again since last weekend. I hope we do get less thunderstorms now.

                73,
                Günter
                Freising, Germany
                RX: Perseus ANT: ALA1530+SSB
              • iv3nwv
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5, 2011
                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Günter Lorenz <glorenz@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Nico,
                  >
                  > (quoting myself)
                  > > > I hope to find some time on the next weekend for further comparison.

                  Dear Günter,
                  please, never mind.

                  As you can see I'm as busy as you :-)
                  We all would be glad to read your findings but just when when you will find some spare time to write them.

                  Please remind your wife that she has done a really good job with your italian :-)
                  I agree with you that it would be not so worth learning so many languages unless our wives are aware of what we are studying :-)

                  Nico