running dual perseus instances via bat file

  • monitor
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 30 11:02 PM
      Hi Alex,

      OK, I have done as you instructed and my wife has checked for typing
      errors--looking ok.

      I have a couple of bugs here:

      1) Both rx-1.reg and rx-2.reg (my names here) can be individually added
      to the registry manually by double clicking and answering "yes" for each
      file, which I take to mean the files are good.
      2) The rx-1 and rx-2 files do include the hex value for tweaked 80
      MHz...that value changes when I change the calibration and export the
      perseus ver 4.0a registry entry, which I take to mean the save and
      export function is working (that is I am performing that work) correctly.
      3) After checking that each physical receiver works aok, when I run the
      bat file, only the first receiver starts, and after 30 seconds, an error
      message "bitstream load error" appears. The first receiver starts and
      runs normally.
      4) If I remove the "rem" entry in the bat file, first receiver starts
      and runs, the hit any key message appears, but when I hit any key, the
      second receiver does not start and the "bitstream load error" message
      appears.

      The error messages in item 3 & 4 are both followed by the standard
      "Perseus Control software has encountered a problem and needs to close."
      etc etc.....I do not send the error to microsoft.

      5) Repeat attempts to run the bat file get the same results, HOWEVER,
      if I reboot, then run the bat file, the first receiver starts and runs
      and receiver two GUI starts, but does not engage the 2nd physical
      receiver. In case it tells you anything, the 2nd instance of the GUI
      will go to net mode and acquire remote receivers via the client
      functionality.

      6) I can retry the bat file again & again and it starts receiver 1 and
      GUI 2 (no receiver) as described in step 5. If I manually start both
      receivers, they both run fine, but of course, one receiver is
      miscalibrated because they both load the same registry data.

      7) After item 6, a retry of the bat file takes us back to item 3 & 4.

      That is, on a fresh reboot, rx 1 and GUI two run...if I manually strat
      rx 1 and rx 2, then close, then retry the bat file, only rx 1 starts and
      I get the "bitsream load error" message. I'm figuring the 30 second
      wait for the error message is related to a default retry timeout or similar.

      My initial thought was that the perseus software cannot handle the
      virtually simultaneous load and acquisition of usb ports/receivers,
      however, results with or without the remark entries in the bat file are
      the same.................

      any ideas?

      my sense is this is not far from working and I will keep fiddling with this.

      thank you very much

      best

      John Collins

      On 4/29/2011 5:50 AM, alx_mtc wrote:
      > Reg export:
      > 1) Start, Run, type "regedit", click on Ok
      > 2) Click the + symbol in the left panel of the window, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microtelecom s.r.l.\perseus\v4.0a
      > 3) right click on v4.0a (or your release), select Export, give it a name (e.g. Pers1.reg) and save it to the Perseus folder (e.g. C:\Perseus)
      >

      > Batch file (e.g. run.bat):
      >
      > ---(file start)---
      > @echo off
      > c:
      > cd c:\Perseus
      > regedit /s Pers1.reg
      > start perseus.exe
      > rem echo Hit any key to start the second instance...
      > rem pause
      > regedit /s Pers2.reg
      > start perseus.exe
      > ---(file end)---
      >

      > I supposed that:
      > -Perseus folder is c:\Perseus
      > -You saved the batch file (e.g. run.bat) in the same folder
      > -You saved there the two reg files, too, called Pers1.reg and Pers2.reg
      > -The computer won't show any strange behaviour starting two instances so fast one after the other.
      >
      > If the latter assumption is proved to be wrong, you just need to remove the two heading "rem" in front of the "echo" and "pause" lines (you'll have to press a key to go on with the startup.
      >

      > As a side information, the .reg files are text files, you can read and modify them with the notepad application. The only line really needed (other then the header) is the one containing "AdcSamplingRate".
      > The whole file could be as short as:
      >
      > ---(file start)---
      > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
      >
      > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microtelecom s.r.l.\perseus\v4.0a]
      > "AdcSamplingRate"=dword:04c4b400
      > ---(file end)---
      >

      > 04c4b400 is the hexadecimal value for 80000000 (80 MHz), after calibration it will be different.

      -----
      No virus found in this message.
    • alx_mtc
      Message 44 of 44 , May 2, 2011
        You could try waiting until the first Perseus is up and running before hitting the key to start the second GUI.
        The Perseus software grabs the first free receiver enumerated on the USB bus, so the first one will always be the first.
        If you need just the second receiver, you must again start both and then close the first window.
        Before running the .BAT, ensure no other Perseus are stuck in the background without a GUI.

        This can be automated adding:

        taskkill /IM perseus.exe

        right after the "@echo off" in the .BAT file.