Re: wrplus

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2011
      YUP...I tried to use WR Plus yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks only to be greeted with the "expired" message....strange i did think!! I thought Sandro would have let the existing software run until the new one comes out, i honestly did not remember seeing that the software had an expiration date. Oh well, it was free while it lasted and very very good it was too!!! Thanks to Sandro!

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Paul Crankshaw <hoddlesden@...> wrote:

      > Same here. I don't recall seeing any warning this was going to happen.
      >
      > Paul
      >

      > On 31/03/2011 15:56, tvdxrools wrote:
      > >
      > > put on wrplus about 5 mins ago and was greeted with a message to say
      > > it was expired and looking at the web page
      > > http://www.wrplus.altervista.org/ does this mean we have to start
      > > paying ... cheers david

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
        Hi all,

        the most recent version of WRplus (1.04-4 (beta), 07 Jan 2011) has expired on 31st Mar 2011 as announced on the "About" tab.

        You may use WRplus when turning back the computer's clock prior to that date. WRplus is then working. But you may have some little discomforts.

        73, Peter

      • longwave@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011

          yep....tried that over the weekend and it works but there were some bumps along the way...oh well a small thing until a new one comes along...Will be interesting to see the cost, new tweaks, etc.  Love using this software for FM dxng.

          Keith

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
            Hi Leif,

            Thank you for the information. I may very well take a stab at this.
            I've heard excellent things about Linrad. I've always been a little
            nervous about installing anything that isn't a point and click type of
            installation but after taking a look at the Linrad Home Page it seems
            easier than I thought (or maybe I'm just becoming a little tech savvy!)
            I'll have some time later this weekend and will try it out.

            Thanks for Linrad and your email.

            Keith

            On 4/4/2011 8:22 PM, Leif Asbrink wrote:
            > Hi Keith,
            >
            >> yep....tried that over the weekend and it works but
            >> there were some bumps along the way...oh well a small
            >> thing until a new one comes along...Will be interesting
            >> to see the cost, new tweaks, etc. Love using this
            >> software for FM dxng.
            >
            > You might find that Linrad is a good alternative for FM
            > DX-ing. Linrad is guaranteed free for ever. The source
            > code as well as the executables for Windows is free for
            > anyone for any purpose. For ever.
            >
            > Linrad is quite general, it works with many hardwares and
            > it might take some time before you master it. Help will
            > be available if you post questions to the Linrad mailing
            > list: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/linrad
            >
            > In case you become an advanced user there are powerful
            >
            > 73
            >
            > Leif / SM5BSZ

          • Leif Asbrink
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
              Hi Keith,

              > yep....tried that over the weekend and it works but
              > there were some bumps along the way...oh well a small
              > thing until a new one comes along...Will be interesting
              > to see the cost, new tweaks, etc.  Love using this
              > software for FM dxng.

              You might find that Linrad is a good alternative for FM
              DX-ing. Linrad is guaranteed free for ever. The source
              code as well as the executables for Windows is free for
              anyone for any purpose. For ever.

              Linrad is quite general, it works with many hardwares and
              it might take some time before you master it. Help will
              be available if you post questions to the Linrad mailing
              list: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/linrad

              In case you become an advanced user there are powerful

              Leif / SM5BSZ
            • ke5jpp
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Leif Asbrink <leif@...> wrote:

                > Hi Keith,
                >
                > > yep....tried that over the weekend and it works but
                > > there were some bumps along the way...oh well a small
                > > thing until a new one comes along...Will be interesting
                > > to see the cost, new tweaks, etc.  Love using this
                > > software for FM dxng.
                >
                > You might find that Linrad is a good alternative for FM
                > DX-ing. Linrad is guaranteed free for ever. The source
                > code as well as the executables for Windows is free for
                > anyone for any purpose. For ever.
                >
                > Linrad is quite general, it works with many hardwares and
                > it might take some time before you master it. Help will
                > be available if you post questions to the Linrad mailing
                > list: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/linrad
                >
                > In case you become an advanced user there are powerful
                >
                > 73
                >
                > Leif / SM5BSZ

                Hi Leif,

                I was disappointed when I saw the expiration for wrplus also.

                I have tried Linrad for use with my Perseus. While Perseus is supported I find that the user interface of Linrad is, pardon my directness, horrible. It reminds me of an old DOS program. If Linrad were updated with a modern usable GUI, I'd expect that a lot more guys would start using it. Any chance of that?

                Respectfully submitted,
                Gene
              • Leif Asbrink
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                  Hi Gene,

                  > I was disappointed when I saw the expiration for wrplus also.
                  >
                  > I have tried Linrad for use with my Perseus. While Perseus
                  > is supported I find that the user interface of Linrad is,
                  > pardon my directness, horrible. It reminds me of an old DOS
                  > program.
                  I can not understand why that is relevant to you as a user.
                  There are specific questions that have to be answered. They are
                  not many and I can not understand why you think the aestetics
                  of the user interface is important.

                  > If Linrad were updated with a modern usable GUI, I'd expect
                  > that a lot more guys would start using it. Any chance of that?
                  I am very interested in specific feedback. Did you try a recent
                  version of Linrad? I am constantly using all available feedback
                  to try to eliminate problems that new users may encounter due to
                  lack of knowledge about what Linrad really is.

                  "a modern usable GUI" is an insult. Sorry. The problem is more
                  fundamental...

                  Certainly the user interface has problems. It needs improvement
                  and I am working on it, but the problems are of a fundamental
                  nature and not in whether the user interface is graphical or text
                  based.

                  The user has to understand the meaning of the different choices
                  he can do. It should be quite a lot easier with the latest version
                  as compared to one or two years ago. Whether the choices have to
                  be entered from the keyboard or with a mouse click should be
                  totally irrelevant. The problem (to me) is to understand what
                  users find difficult to understand. (To me everything is obvious
                  because I spent so much time with it.)

                  73

                  Leif / SM5BSZ
                • ke5jpp
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Leif Asbrink <leif@...> wrote:

                    > > I have tried Linrad for use with my Perseus. While Perseus
                    > > is supported I find that the user interface of Linrad is,
                    > > pardon my directness, horrible. It reminds me of an old DOS
                    > > program.
                    > I can not understand why that is relevant to you as a user.
                    > There are specific questions that have to be answered. They are
                    > not many and I can not understand why you think the aestetics
                    > of the user interface is important.

                    Hi Leif,

                    You are kidding, right? How can you really believe the user interface is not important to the user? The Linrad user interface is a throwback to the old DOS days. Time has moved on and so have user interfaces. If you want Linrad to be adopted by a larger audience, it needs a more modern graphics based GUI. The old command line/DOS window look doesn't cut it and people will shy away from Linrad for that reason. Sorry, that is my opinion. I am not trying to be rude, but come on, the Linrad user interface needs serious help.

                    Gene
                  • Leif Asbrink
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                      Hi Gene,

                      > > I can not understand why that is relevant to you as a user.
                      > > There are specific questions that have to be answered. They are
                      > > not many and I can not understand why you think the aestetics
                      > > of the user interface is important.
                      >
                      > You are kidding, right?
                      No. I am serious.

                      > How can you really believe the user interface is not
                      > important to the user? The Linrad user interface is a
                      > throwback to the old DOS days.
                      Linrad has a graphical user interface that is identical on
                      several platforms.

                      There are good reasons why the setup is a text dialogue
                      but that should be a one time effort for the user.

                      > Time has moved on and so have user interfaces. If you
                      > want Linrad to be adopted by a larger audience, it needs
                      > a more modern graphics based GUI. The old command line/DOS
                      > window look doesn't cut it and people will shy away from
                      > Linrad for that reason. Sorry, that is my opinion.
                      OK.
                      I am not a programmer so it would be a major effort for
                      me to change the setup.

                      > I am not trying to be rude, but come on, the Linrad
                      > user interface needs serious help.
                      Yes. In case someone would be interested I would be happy
                      to include any changes that would make Linrad look more
                      attractive to new users. Provided that those changes do
                      not destroy any of the following things:

                      1) Linrad is available as source code and all tools
                      needed to compile from source are free under
                      Windows as well as Linux.
                      2) Linrad can be run on old computers, Pentium MMX
                      with Win 98 and upwards.
                      3) The user interface (except for the initial setup)
                      is the same under Linux and Windows.

                      I use my own time to things related to radio and the
                      actual signal processing.

                      73

                      Leif / SM5BSZ
                    • stanka1ze@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                        Hello Gene,

                        My interest in SDR revolves around ham radio contesting. Linrad is like a race car complete with crew. Linrad can change it's set up depending on what you need it to do. Just as the crew can change the race car's setup to best suit track conditions. I want to do as well as I can in a contest so I need the best SDR possible. Linrad handles strong signals, weak signals and unwanted noise better than any other software I have tried. Linrad IS A RACE CAR, the rest are more like the comfortable family sedan!

                        73, Stan, KA1ZE

                        > > I can not understand why that is relevant to you as a user.
                        > > There are specific questions that have to be answered. They are
                        > > not many and I can not understand why you think the aestetics
                        > > of the user interface is important.
                        >
                        > You are kidding, right?
                        No. I am serious.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, stanka1ze@... wrote:

                          > Hello Gene,
                          >
                          > My interest in SDR revolves around ham radio contesting. Linrad is like a race car complete with crew. Linrad can change it's set up depending on what you need it to do. Just as the crew can change the race car's setup to best suit track conditions. I want to do as well as I can in a contest so I need the best SDR possible. Linrad handles strong signals, weak signals and unwanted noise better than any other software I have tried. Linrad IS A RACE CAR, the rest are more like the comfortable family sedan!
                          >
                          > 73, Stan, KA1ZE

                          Hi Stan,

                          Yes, I agree that Linrad is very impressive from the signal processing point of view. I am sure the signal processing algorithms are the very best out there. That is not the point of my question. I am not questioning the quality of Leif's code at all.

                          The point was that for Linrad to be adopted by a wider audience, the same way that Winrad and its variants, or PowerSDR and its variants have been adopted, it needs to have a modern GUI. The existing Linrad user interface scares many users away and they will never go back to using it again. The old DOS lookalike UI and poor graphics just don't cut it in 2011 with other than some techie-type users or for some special applications where there is no other alternative.

                          Gene
                        • stanka1ze@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                            Gene,

                            What would you like to see? Would the addition of sliders make Linrad better? Perhaps I have become accustomed to the intuitive nature of what I see.

                            Stan

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, stanka1ze@... wrote:

                              > Gene,
                              >
                              > What would you like to see? Would the addition of sliders make Linrad better? Perhaps I have become accustomed to the intuitive nature of what I see.
                              >
                              > Stan

                              Hi Stan,

                              I gave my observations and opinions about the Linrad user interface as a user. I did not ask about the user interface to be subjected to insults from you.

                              The point is that Linrad is not popular like the other SDR software because of its difficult to use and difficult on the eyes user interface. The user interface is not intuitive to use and scares away newcomers.

                              Leif may not be concerned about how many people use his software and that is OK. He writes it and makes it available for free.

                              Gene
                            • stanka1ze@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                                Gene,

                                I am sorry if any of my comments were insulting to you. I assure you that was not my intention. I read you previous chain of comments and, with no insult intended, still ask the same question. What would make the user interface easier to use or more appealing to the eye?

                                Stan

                                > What would you like to see? Would the addition of sliders make Linrad better? Perhaps I have become accustomed to the intuitive nature of what I see.
                                >
                                > Stan

                                Hi Stan,

                                I gave my observations and opinions about the Linrad user interface as a user. I did not ask about the user interface to be subjected to insults from you.

                                The point is that Linrad is not popular like the other SDR software because of its difficult to use and difficult on the eyes user interface. The user interface is not intuitive to use and scares away newcomers.

                                Leif may not be concerned about how many people use his software and that is OK. He writes it and makes it available for free.

                                Gene

                              • tvdxrools
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 8, 2011
                                  hi i agree with you .. when i load up my sdr software i want to press the on button and it comes on and not have to go through various steps just to get it running and i must admit linrad is NOT user freindly in operating and it does look like a throw back to the old dos days. it doesnt matter if software is free or not i want to switch it on and not do anything else to get it to work and have the option of a plain interface or one dancing with brilliant colors on a spectrum .. my tuppence worth ... david

                                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "ke5jpp" <ke5jpp@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, stanka1ze@ wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Gene,
                                  > >
                                  > > What would you like to see? Would the addition of sliders make Linrad better? Perhaps I have become accustomed to the intuitive nature of what I see.
                                  > >
                                  > > Stan
                                  >
                                  > Hi Stan,
                                  >
                                  > I gave my observations and opinions about the Linrad user interface as a user. I did not ask about the user interface to be subjected to insults from you.
                                  >
                                  > The point is that Linrad is not popular like the other SDR software because of its difficult to use and difficult on the eyes user interface. The user interface is not intuitive to use and scares away newcomers.
                                  >
                                  > Leif may not be concerned about how many people use his software and that is OK. He writes it and makes it available for free.
                                  >
                                  > Gene

                                • m3kpk
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 9, 2011
                                    Regarding my own experience with Linrad, I must congratulate the author on a fine piece of software.

                                    The simplistic graphical interface means it will run happily on lower specced machines, and in the case of Linux boxes, those without third-party (and often buggy) graphics drivers.

                                    It uses minimal CPU to display the relevant information, and does so in a manner that can be customised to your own choices.

                                    The setup procedure (especially for the I/Q output boxes) can be convoluted compared to commercial packages, but that's meat-and-potatoes for enthusiasts.

                                    I eagerly await further development.

                                    Gary
                                    M3KPK