RE: [perseus_SDR] Re: Status Update

  • Tapio Kalmi
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 1, 2011

      ;-D

      Happy New Year Nico, all others at Microtelecom and all 3rd parties developing software for Perseus ! No matter if it is free or commercial as long as we get new toys ;-)

      73s

      Tapio Kalmi

      Helsinki

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 1, 2011
        Happy New Year Nico, all others at Microtelecom and all 3rd parties developing software for Perseus ! And also all list members!

        Agree with Tapio, happy as long we get new great "toys" for Perseus.

        It is unbelievable how much new "toys" we got for Perseus the last 3 years!! And STILL coming! Never had that for ANY other device I have owned. Cannot understand those complaining... there will always be things that will be "missing", but I must say it is not much anymore. Nearly everything in my personal Perseus wishlist has showed up, from Nico or 3rd parties.

        Thank you to ALL contributors to make Perseus better and better!

        73
        Allan Helm
      • GK
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 1, 2011
          Thanks, Nico. Happy New Year.
        • Alberto I2PHD
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 1, 2011
            On 1/1/2011 1:30 AM, pd0psb@... wrote:
            I've been watching the server map the last few days and hope Alberto had a good trip back from Ethiopia.
            Paul, actually it was Somalia and not Ethiopia.... :-)
            You will see that if you zoom enough the map... with low zoom factors the Perseus icon is placed in Ethiopia for lack of space,
            with with a factor large enough, you will see that I was in Somalia... :-)

            And probably I will return my Perseus to Microtelecom with a hasty note complaining that it is not able to demodulate
            the various AM broadcasting that I found while there, offering at the same time a real time translation into English or Italian....
            that is really a very big shortcoming from a firm like Microtelecom... one day speaking on the phone Nico told me that such
            a feature would have hypothetically been a great addition to the product, and now, after a couple of years, it did not materialize...
            shame on them ! I won't ever buy a Microtelecom product anymore, and I will substitute my Perseus, which I will return, with
            a magnificent Softrock ! That is the way to go !     :-)

            --
            73 Alberto I2PHD
          • Brandon Jordan
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 1, 2011
              Hi Nico--

              Thank you for all of your hard work, long-suffering of the complainers
              and for providing one of the best HF receivers on the market. I look
              forward to the future Perseus update(s) and continued offerings from
              Microtelecom. Best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year, along
              with plenty of your favourite beer!

              Ciao and best 73,
              Brandon Jordan
              Memphis, TN USA
            • he0lga
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                Nico, I am not switch on your receiver half year. I made download latest version of software from your site (there is no another copy, only one) and receiver doesn't work. It show window what trial time had expired. What happened? Where I can find copy of original software? I bought my Perseus when software was free of charge. What happens now?
              • Lasse
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                  Main software is STILL free!
                  Is it possible that you see that the converter add-on has expired (trial
                  30 days)... if so just click ok and keep on using the software. It works
                  just as it should!!

                  /Lasse SM5GLC
                  he0lga skrev 2011-01-02 18:21:
                  > Nico, I am not switch on your receiver half year. I made download latest version of software from your site (there is no another copy, only one) and receiver doesn't work. It show window what trial time had expired. What happened? Where I can find copy of original software? I bought my Perseus when software was free of charge. What happens now?

                • Bill Nollman
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011

                    Use this version and it will not have that problem - http://microtelecom.it/perseus/Perseusv30beta1.zip

                    Bill

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                      And make sure you do have the latest drivers to match the software!
                      AFAIK, If the software doesn't find the receiver when you install, it runs in demo-mode... this will expire!
                      After having run software and receiver at least once, you can then run software standalone and load WAV-files

                      /Lasse SM5GLC

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                        Thank to all who is answered me. I made download latest software beta version from site and driver. But I got the same "Perseus receiver not found" When I press button cansel I got "trial period expired". I have no idea what happens. Or exactly trial period expired or this message just for pushing user for pay extra money to Nico?
                      • Lasse
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                          Not sure what you really see here!

                          1. Apparently there is a trial period for those who want to try the
                          Perseus software with-out buying the receiver... this will time-out!

                          2. If you do not need nor want to buy the EXTRA converter frequency
                          read-out software... you will see a trial period expired.
                          Just check the box not to show this message... and you will not be
                          bugged again!
                          This piece of extra software is not needed... even if you use a converter!!

                          What extra money are you talking about? You cannot buy the Perseus
                          software... you buy the receiver and get the software too!

                          So it seems you have not got the new drivers correctly installed!
                          Therefore the Perseus software cannot find your receiver.
                          Carefully read the instructions how to upgrade drivers to get it to work!

                          /Lasse SM5GLC

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                            I have not idea what about what working Nico. Latest beta in another PC show me alarm from Oupost Security Pro. There is Packed/Themida object inside. Please check archive with good anti virus. Now I remember, I was tryed to download beta to notebook where is Kasperskiy installed. In home PC it run after unpack files when anti virus switched off.
                          • Marco IK1ODO
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                              At 20:07 02/01/2011, he0lga wrote:

                              >I have not idea what about what working Nico. Latest beta in another
                              >PC show me alarm from Oupost Security Pro. There is Packed/Themida
                              >object inside. Please check archive with good anti virus. Now I
                              >remember, I was tryed to download beta to notebook where is
                              >Kasperskiy installed. In home PC it run after unpack files when anti
                              >virus switched off.

                              There are no viruses in Perseus software. Some over-protective
                              antivirus program give false positives recognizing some program feature.
                              If the HW is not recognized you may have some driver problem. Follow
                              the driver update instructions given in the release PDF, it will work.

                              73 - Marco IK1ODO
                            • Lasse
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                                This has been talked about alot... consensus: There is no virus!

                                The AntiVirus software flag falsely for this, probably due to the fact
                                that the software is crypted to secure the Perseus software.
                                Unless something has happened lately, the software is perfectly safe,
                                just instruct the anti-virus to make exclude this software from viruscheck.

                                All what you are seeing has been discussed here on Yahoo group many many
                                times over and over again.
                                Just do a search and you will find better and more detailed answers than
                                you get from me.

                                /Lasse SM5GLC

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                                  Thank for All, who is answered me. Now almost all is clear. But if code is encrypted so strong I believe to my firewall and anti virus. Otherwise I not see reason for use to crypt for common SDR software. Nobody will make copy from Perseus hardware, it is no sense while exist QS1R project. I have both and interface of last one much pretty and some russian guys made it better than original version.
                                • iv3nwv
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "he0lga" <he0lga@...> wrote:

                                    > Thank to all who is answered me. I made download latest software beta version from site and driver. But I got the same "Perseus receiver not found" When I press button cansel I got "trial period expired". I have no idea what happens. Or exactly trial period expired or this message just for pushing user for pay extra money to Nico?

                                    The Perseus software is always available for free to the owners of the Perseus receiver, he0lga.

                                    Simply check that you have installed the WinUsb drivers on your system.
                                    If you have not done it yet download them from the Perseus software page (http://microtelecom.it/perseus/PerseusWinUSBDrivers.zip), read the guide and install them.
                                    Then attach your Perseus receiver to your system and run the software.
                                    If you haven't made mistakes you won't get the message "Perseus receiver not found" anymore, the software will open a dialog reminding you that some software options are offered for a limited amount of time and eventually that this limited amount of time has expired.
                                    If you don't want to be bored by this warning check the button "Don't show this dialog again" when the dialog "Perseus Software Optional Features" appears, then close the dialog clicking the Ok button and you won't be bored anymore.

                                    73s
                                    Nico / IV3NWV
                                  • iv3nwv
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                                      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "he0lga" <he0lga@...> wrote:

                                      > I have not idea what about what working Nico. Latest beta in another PC show me alarm from Oupost Security Pro. There is Packed/Themida object inside. Please check archive with good anti virus. Now I remember, I was tryed to download beta to notebook where is Kasperskiy installed. In home PC it run after unpack files when anti virus switched off.

                                      As far as I know no virus manufacturer publish his address on the internet.

                                      Either the Perseus software includes no virus or I am really dumb.

                                      Select your preferred option, sir.

                                      73s
                                      Nico / IV3NWV
                                    • he0lga
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 23, 2011
                                        Good afternoon Nico!

                                        I took my Perseus with me in some trip far away from my home. And on my laptop Dell m6500 I cannon run it even I install old or new driver. In better case I got message when I run HFSpan "Perseus Fx2 Firmware load error" and than next I got message "Perseus Receiver not found. Please check USB connection and retry". One time HFSpan was started ok, but in my laptop was installed large size fort and I cannot see button "Start" at HFSpan. Now I made change font for normal size, but now I cannot start HFSpan anymore. Driver version installed 1.0.3.0 Software Perseusv30beta1.
                                      • alx_mtc
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 23, 2011
                                          Check your drivers. If you start the Perseus server, you can't use the normal Perseus client or hfspan.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 23, 2011
                                            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "alx_mtc" <alessio.miani@...> wrote:

                                            > Check your drivers.

                                            installed latest version. Also it was successful one time run HFSpan as I described above.

                                            > If you start the Perseus server, you can't use the normal Perseus client or hfspan.

                                            I made many time reload of laptop after trying to start any software from Perseus
                                          • he0lga
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 24, 2011
                                              Problem solved. I made install once more latest driver and run software of new generation v4. Now all is ok.