Re: [perseus_SDR] Re: Too many Features to be listed!

  • Roelof Bakker
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 6, 2010
      Hello all,

      What I have found very easy is a Sharkoon SATA QuickDeck.
      One can simply plug in (cheaper) 2.5 or 3.5 inch internal drives.
      It has a fast e-SATA connection with the PC.

      Very handy when handling 100 GB PERSEUS overnight recordings!

      Now we are at computers, I have a weird problem with a EMU 0202 USB
      external sound card.
      The sound is great, but under XP the computer will not start up until I
      manually switch off the EMU external sound card.
      Under Windows 7 32 bit, it always starts up as a 1.1 USB device.
      Again manual switch off and on is required before it is recognized as a
      2.0 USB device.

      I have now a ASUS Xonar D1, which is great, but the EMU problem keeps
      distracting my brain from more urgent matters.

      73,
      Roelof, pa0rdt
    • Roelof Bakker
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 6, 2010
        Hello Paul,

        I forgot to mention that I made a USB cable with the DC wires cut of and
        replaced by a standard 2.1mm DC connector.
        An external power supply was used, but this did not help!

        73,
        Roelof
      • Alberto I2PHD
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 6, 2010
          On 12/6/2010 8:01 PM, Roelof Bakker wrote:
          I have a weird problem with a EMU 0202 USB external sound card.
          The sound is great, but under XP the computer will not start up until I
          manually switch off the EMU external sound card.

          Something must be broken with your installation.... I have as well an E-MU 0202 USB external sound adapter,
          connected permanently to my PC with Windows XP SP3, kept constantly updated with all the fixes released by Microsoft,
          and have no problems whatsoever... if I were you, I would completely disinstall the drivers of the USB adapter, and reinstall
          them after having downloaded the latest version from the Creative site.

          And do not connect the adapter to the PC via a passive USB hub. Either connect it directly, or use an USB hub with its own power supply.

          --
          73 Alberto I2PHD
        • Roelof Bakker
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 14, 2010
            Hello Alberto,

            Regarding my EMU 202 problems you wrote:

            > if I were you, I would completely disinstall the drivers of the USB
            > adapter, and reinstall them after having downloaded the latest version
            > from the Creative site. <

            I did and it did not make any difference at all.

            By coincidence I have found a work around, though:
            When I leave a USB stick in an adjacent USB port, the EMU 202 starts up as
            USB 2.0 device without a hitch!

            Go figure!

            73,
            Roelof, pa0rdt
          • Alberto I2PHD
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 14, 2010
              On 12/14/2010 5:10 PM, Roelof Bakker wrote:
              By coincidence I have found a work around, though:
              When I leave a USB stick in an adjacent USB port, the EMU 202 starts up as
              USB 2.0 device without a hitch!

              Go figure!

              Hi Roelof,

                 then it must be something peculiar with your USB interface...   when you connect an USB device to an USB port,
              there is an initial negotiation phase where, among other things,  the device tells the controller how many mA of current
              it needs, etc.

              But, as far as I can remember, the device first identifies itself as a full speed device (USB 2.0, 12 Mb/s) using a couple of resistor,
              then, during the negotiation, it tells the controller that it really is a high speed device (480 Mb/s).

              This is copied from an Internet page :

              A USB device must indicate its speed by pulling either the D+ or D- line high to 3.3 volts. A full speed device will use a pull up resistor
              attached to D+ to specify itself as a full speed device. These pull up resistors at the device end will also be used by the host or hub to
              detect the presence of a device connected to its port. Without a pull up resistor, USB assumes there is nothing connected to the bus.
              Some devices have this resistor built into its silicon, which can be turned on and off under firmware control, others require an external resistor
              .

              https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sdradio.eu%2Fimages%2Fusb.gif&t=1495974882&sig=.ZcJvIutXfQwNHMNvcQ5qQ--~C

              Hope the above can be useful to you to diagnose the problem.

              --
              73 Alberto I2PHD
            • Roelof Bakker
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 14, 2010
                Hello Paul,

                Yes, I downloaded the Windows 7 Beta driver for the EMU 202.
                In fact, I have done anything I could think of, except a complete new
                operating system install.

                As I have issues on both Windows XP and Windows 7 (after a clean install)
                I don't think that will help.
                It is also a bit far fetched, if you ask me.

                Anyway it works now.

                73,
                Roelof
              • Roelof Bakker
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 14, 2010
                  Hello Alberto,

                  Thank you for the information.
                  I will look into it.

                  73,
                  Roelof
                • Roelof Bakker
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 14, 2010
                    Hello Paul,

                    No, I had not even thought of that.
                    Have you any idea how to proceed?

                    73,
                    Roelof
                  • Roelof Bakker
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
                      Hello Alberto and Paul,

                      Regarding the misbehaviour of my EMU 0202 USB external audio card, I have
                      removed all other USB devices, a ASUS Xonar D1 internal sound card and
                      disabled the onboard soundcard in the BIOS. The EMU Software has been
                      removed and a clean install made with the latest drivers. After that the
                      EMU starts nice as a USB 2.0 device when the PC is booted.
                      Problem solved, you may think, but not really!

                      After the PERSEUS SDR is connected to a USB port, the EMU starts as a USB
                      1.1 device.
                      When the PERSEUS is removed from the USB port, the EMU starts still as 1.1
                      USB device and not as USB 2.0.

                      After an other clean install and without any other device on a USB port,
                      everything is fine again.
                      This time I decided to enable the onboard soundcard.
                      After booting up, the EMU 0202 is, you might guess already, starting as a
                      1.1 USB device.
                      And again the fault is irreversible; disabling the onboard soundcard does
                      not remove the fault.

                      At this point, I scratched my balding head and decided that there is no
                      easy way to solve the problem.
                      Most likely it is a driver issue and thus beyond my control.

                      I can live now with the small inconvenience of having to switch the
                      external soundcard off and then on again.

                      73,
                      Roelof, pa0rdt
                    • Alberto I2PHD
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
                        On 12/17/2010 6:12 PM, Roelof Bakker wrote:
                        At this point, I scratched my balding head and decided that there is no
                        easy way to solve the problem.
                        Most likely it is a driver issue and thus beyond my control.

                        I can live now with the small inconvenience of having to switch the
                        external soundcard off and then on again.

                        Roelof,

                           sorry to hear that.  Stupid suggestion : as the USB ports are paired in couples to the controller,
                        have you tried to use another USB port, one whose "companion" has nothing connected to it ?

                        Just a shot in the dark.....

                        --
                        73 Alberto I2PHD
                      • Roelof Bakker
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
                          Hello Alberto,

                          Yes, did change the USB port.
                          I even went to the trouble of connecting the front side USB ports to a
                          different outlet on the mainboard.

                          Though it is still nagging me, I will leave it alone!

                          Thank you for your suggestions!

                          73,
                          Roelof
                        • monitor
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
                            Hi,

                            This is at best a shot in the dark--obviously, I have no knoweldge of the configuration details on your PC...while I have not had this issue with the hardware mentioned, I have experienced similar "insoluble" behavior from other usb devices.

                            Some registry entries can be left behind when stuff is uninstalled--the presence of these entries can fool an installation into NOT completing or not replacing some files, thus it is possible that a problem can hide out in the registry or a related dll.  Often, a simple uninstall/reinstall does not solve the issue--I have had mostly good luck by doing this:

                            0)  Create a System Restore point--name it meaningfully so you can find it in a list if it's needed.

                            1)  uninstall the offending software and hardware.

                            2)  Reboot

                            3)  Run a cleanup tool like Ccleaner (free utility) and weed-out any leftover registry entries (be sure to select registry function) -- two shots of Jägermeister helps here.

                            4)  Reboot

                            5)  Run the cleaner again -- have another shot

                            6)  Reboot

                            7)  Reinstall the items, being sure to install the least dependent stuff first...that is, install drivers & software, then install the hardware, unless the hardware instructions specifically state otherwise.

                            8)  Reboot & Cleanup

                            !0)  Try the system & see if it works ok

                            If this does not solve the issue, it should not do damage...just be sure to reboot after each step so your cleaned up registry is in place when you go to each step.  If for some obscure reason the pc stops working, do a F8 reboot and select the choice that leads you to System Restore and restore your system to its original fouled up state...other than a wasted hour or two, you're back where you started.  Once you've restored, do a couple more cleanup loops to remove registry stuff from the excercise.

                            good luck

                            John C.

                            On 12/17/2010 12:57 PM, Roelof Bakker wrote:
                            Hello Alberto,

                            Yes, did change the USB port.
                            I even went to the trouble of connecting the front side USB ports to a
                            different outlet on the mainboard.

                            Though it is still nagging me, I will leave it alone!

                            Thank you for your suggestions!

                            73,
                            Roelof

                            <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                perseus_SDR-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                perseus_SDR-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Alberto I2PHD
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
                              On 12/17/2010 10:46 PM, monitor wrote:
                              Some registry entries can be left behind when stuff is uninstalled--the presence of these entries can fool an installation
                              into NOT completing or not replacing some files, thus it is possible that a problem can hide out in the registry or a related dll.
                              Often, a simple uninstall/reinstall does not solve the issue--I have had mostly good luck by doing this:
                              If there is the suspect of leftovers in the registry, then my suggestion is to use Revo Uninstaller Pro... really a very good tool,
                              that after the disinstallation of a program, scans the registry and find all the remnants left there by the uninstall program.
                              It is incredible the amount of entries that are not removed when you disinstall something.... Revo Uninstaller Pro cleans
                              everything (only with your permission,of course...).  It costs just a few USD, but I am more than happy to have bought it
                              a few months ago.

                              --
                              73 Alberto I2PHD
                            • vince48
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
                                On 12/17/2010 3:05 PM, Alberto I2PHD wrote:

[...]

                                Hello Alberto
                                I too have used Revo Uninstaller and I'm very glad someone suggested it to me. It is a excellent tool! Happy Holidays.

                                vincent
                              • monitor

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
                                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, monitor <monitor@...> wrote:
                                    > Some registry entries can be left behind when stuff is uninstalled the
                                    > presence of these entries can fool an installation into NOT completing [...]

                                    My I also suggest for a COMPLETE reinstallation of the USB drivers, to:
                                    - uninstall your device drivers/software using the standard procedure.

                                    once done you have to:

                                    - Identify the VID* and PID* of the device you want to reinstall (see note *)
                                    - Just as an _example_ we have VID=04b4 & PID=32c1 (fictious VID&PID)
                                    - run REGEDIT.EXE
                                    - navigate to the following key:
                                    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB
                                    - remove (delete) the whole key named "Vid_04b4&Pid_32c1"
                                    - close REGEDIT.EXE

                                    = = = = = = =
                                    = = = = = = =

                                    You have also to do the following:
                                    - Open EXPLORER (your file browser)
                                    - enable in "folder options" the following options:
                                    # Display the contents of system folders
                                    # SHOW hidden files and folders
                                    # SHOW protected operating system files
                                    - move to the following directory:
                                    C:\WINDOWS\INF (it is an hidden directory)
                                    - open the search file windows (F3) and search for (please remember your VID & PID and modify the search string accordingly):
                                    filename: "*.INF"
                                    text to be searched: "VID_04B4&PID_32C1"
                                    - if your entered data is correct, you will find AT least one file named something like "oemxx.inf" where 'xx' is a number.
                                    - rename "oemxx.inf" to "oemxx.inf.old"
                                    - rename "oemxx.pnf" to "oemxx.pnf.old"

                                    This is the SAFEST and CLEANEST way to completely remove (by hand) the references to the USB driver: I developed USB devices for several years and used this trick just to not reboot my PC for a brand new reinstallation!

                                    When you will reconnect your device, it will be recognized by your PC as never installed before.

                                    *) you can find the VID (VendorID) and PID (ProductID) looking in its property in the Device Manager or using some utilities like USBDeview <http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html>

                                    . ciao
                                    _ Elio.
                                  • Roelof Bakker
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 18, 2010
                                      Gentlemen,

                                      Thank you all for your thorough advice.
                                      I might spend my X-mas holiday following your leads.

                                      However, around midwinter it is the top of the DX season at longwave.
                                      In due time I will have a go at it.

                                      I will let you know of the results!

                                      73,
                                      Roelof, pa0rdt