New competitor for PERSEUS?

  • barry.davies25@btopenworld.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
      Ham.Net say this is better:-
      http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7308
    • Sandro
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
        ...and very expensive, say 1000+ Euro in Europe.

        73 Sandro

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "barry.davies25@..." <barry.davies25@...> wrote:

        > Ham.Net say this is better:-
        > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7308

      • Bill Carney
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
          The "review" claims an OS/X version for the Mac. I can't locate it on the
          download site, unless they want me to compile the Linux version...and
          having tried to do that on a (non-radio) project in the past, I'll
          pass...I've got better things to do with my time, like listen to the radio.

          On 10/31/10 2:01 PM, "barry.davies25@..."
          <barry.davies25@...> wrote:

          >Ham.Net say this is better:-
          > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7308

        • Roelof Bakker
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
            Hello Barry,

            Before jumping on the band wagon, I believe that the QS1R still lacks a
            recording facility.
            Or am I wrong?

            73,
            Roelof, pa0rdt
          • pd0psb@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
              And here you can find all the info from Microtelecom why to avoid the QS1R ;-)

              http://microtelecom.it/perseus/tests/Perseus-vs-QS1R.pdf

              73
              Paul
              PD0PSB

              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@...> wrote:

              > Hello Barry,
              >
              > Before jumping on the band wagon, I believe that the QS1R still lacks a
              > recording facility.
              > Or am I wrong?
              >
              > 73,
              > Roelof, pa0rdt

            • Lasse
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
                And AFIAIK they still are working on the preselector and attenuator....

                /Lasse
                Roelof Bakker skrev 2010-10-31 19:52:
                > Hello Barry,
                >
                > Before jumping on the band wagon, I believe that the QS1R still lacks a
                > recording facility.
                > Or am I wrong?
                >
                > 73,
                > Roelof, pa0rdt
                >

                > ------------------------------------

              • Mauno Ritola
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
                  New?!

                  31.10.2010 20:01, barry.davies25@... kirjoitti:

                  > Ham.Net say this is better:-
                  > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7308

                • Guy Atkins
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
                    Hi Barry,

                    QS1R is not very new! A local area DXer and myself compared his QS1R ("Quicksilver") on a March 14-16, 2008 DXpedition. You can read our observations here:

                    For a non-amateur radio point of view on the QS1R, Bjarne Mjelde says this in his WinRadio Excalibur review:

                    There are quite a few visual similarities between the QS1R’s GUI (SDRMAXII v. 2) and Excalibur. But SDRMAXII only offers one display, and you have to do some serious zooming if you want to see the demodulated signal in detail. The resolution isn’t all that great either. On the pro side, you can see both the spectrum and the waterfall displays at the same time. The QS1R offers many of the configuration opportunities that the Excalibur has and has a clean and logical layout. Of course, the lack of built-in RF recording possibilities is the main concern. (With the use of Winrad, you can record up to 2000 kHz. I am not a great fan of Winrad’s GUI though).

                    Since the QS1R lacks an internal preamp, it’s a bit less sensitive as well, but you need a very quiet RF environment to detect that in real life. One nice feature in SDRMAXII is the "click tune snap" where you can click in the spectrum and the program selects the frequency that is closest to the chosen frequency step. Like you click somewhere near 1555 kHz and the program "snaps" to 1557.

                    73,

                    Guy Atkins
                    Puyallup, WA USA

                    On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM, barry.davies25@... <barry.davies25@...> wrote:
                    Ham.Net say this is better:-
                     http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7308
                  • Leif Asbrink
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
                      Hi All,

                      Radio design is always a compromise to some extent.
                      Allowing the user to add his own front end like QS1R does
                      will give a couple of dB better dynamic range if one adds
                      a carefully designed front end. Something like one or two
                      Norton amplifiers with good RF filters. There is a fairly high
                      cost in money and complexity to have such a front end switchable
                      from zero to 30 MHz. Perseus and SDR-IP both have preamplifiers
                      and octave filters which is very convenient at a modest cost...

                      There are many good alternatives for the hardware. I think
                      it is a good idea to investigate whether the software fits your
                      preferred way of operating as the primary criterion (besides cost)
                      for what radio to buy.

                      73

                      Leif / SM5BSZ