Re: [perseus_SDR] Looking for a lost WRplus user: please read

  • Alberto I2PHD
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2010
      On 10/1/2010 8:45 AM, Sandro wrote:
      Yesterday, while reviewing the group posts relative to the release of WRplus, I noticed that one of the earlier has been deleted (it was #11440 of 24/09); I remember very well the content: the user was (using his own words) "highly impressed", in special way about the AM mode and the "soft" filter sound analogy to mechanical filters. The post started with something like: "I hate using capital letters in forums…". I also made a research on QRZ and I saw that he likes old ex-marine radios and, although a patented ham, he prefers SWL activity and it is quite a rare occasion to establish a QSO with him.
      Unfortunately I have no references since the post is no more available.
      For my own personal reasons, I would like to contact this person; if he or someone who know who he is would send me an email I would be grateful.
      Thanks in advance.

      Sandro
      Sandro,

         I archive some (not all) of the forum messages, and was able to retrieve the message you are referring to.
      I attach it here below.

      73  Alberto  I2PHD

      ============================ Attached message =============================================

      Hello Sandro,

      I hate writing capitals in a forum but I'm making an exeption this time; I'm HIGHLY IMPRESSED with your adaption of Winrad!

      Not only did you pin-point the exact remaining weaknesses of Winrad's demodulation department but you've actually listened very carefully to the results.

      The way you treated the voice demodulation modes is superb.
      All voice modes SSB/AM/ECSS and NFM(!!)may very well have the highest quality demodulation I've heard in any SDR.

      The soft filter for the AM modes really takes out the sharpness of brickwalling in an optimal way approaching the classic "mechanical filter" sound. The NFM demodulator algorithm and the correct post detection filtering/de-emphasis all sound great, finally Perseus has true NFM. The AGC look ahead function works without introducing AGC "spike" problems but completely eliminates any transient distortion.

      You have used your ears very well.
      My great compliments and thanks, I will be using WRplus a lot!

      Best 73'
      Paul
      PD0PSB

    • Sandro
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2010
        Hello Paul, thank you very much, I have sent you a private email.

        I would say thanks to all the group members that sent me an email to help.

        Kind regards
        Sandro