Re: What the value of an activated WWW button could be

  • Dave GW4GTE
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 2, 2010
      Hi Roelof,

      I agree that does not apply here - it was a general statement about companies who have a coherent PR / marketing policy and thus not meant to refer to uT.

      I don't think playing the free update card lets uT off www-gate. I would happily pay a reasonable price for such a feature, but keeping things free does reduce the manufacturer's accountability somewhat. How unhappy would we be if we'd paid for it?

      Free updates for the ungrateful masses do however create brand loyalty and keep the product fresh. As for financing freebies, with Perseus there should be plenty of margin to play with as the price of the main components has plummeted but the retail price hasn't. (note for anyone quick to take offence - that doesn't mean I regard Perseus as over-priced. I think the end-user price is positioned about right. If you want crazy pricing look at the flagship HF rigs from the big names.)

      Dave GW4GTE

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > > the irony is that manufacturers want us to, as that's how they generate
      > > the need/want for the next version.
      >
      > This does not apply to free updates and that is what we are talking about
      > here.
      >
      > 73,
      > Roelof, pa0rdt

    • gerard mc laughlin
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 2, 2010
        It would have about the same appeal to me as an Echolink button on front of my HF transceiver and get the same use, I'm content thinking Nico is working on a software update i'd find useful.

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "bwiesgickl" <wiesgickl@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I uploaded a file "ALA_Wood_Home.doc". It shows the result of two Perseus, two ALA-Antennas in two locations. One location is at home, the other one in a wood at least 2 km away from civillisation (except the high sophisticated Perseus).....
        > The remote perseus is linked home via Remotedesktop. Remotedesktop has some disadvantages (e. g. long audio delay, high bandwith, waterfall) which I expect the WWW button of the Perseus would not have.
        > What location would you prefere for DXing?
        >
        > @Nico If you need a test environment for the WWW button I could give you the IP-address.
        >
        > 73s de Bernd, DF9RB
        >
        > Note; Darwin is Q4 from remote, nothing at home.......

      • Dave GW4GTE
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 2, 2010
          Hi,
          Clearly commenting subjectively on a www button from the point of view of usefulness polarises people into those who want to <easily?> control their Perseus receiver remotely and those who have no need to do so. There is a very high chance I'd acquire a second receiver, placed in a quieter location if 'The Button' came to be enabled=true as well as visible=true.

          I'd be interested to hear what software updates you would find useful and what evidence leads you to believe they are in the pipeline. Is it the logic "things that are promised don't arrive, so things that aren't promised must be on the way"

          Ah yes, ... <thinks> Gemini wasn't promised but it's on the way. Or is it? (my bet - based on no info at all - is that Gemini will appear, but not in the form it started out as. But I do look forward to seeing what it eventually becomes)

          Maybe we could play "fantasy-Nico" and design ourselves an imaginary Perseus II. I'll start with: add a selectable pre-amp for a usable sensitivity on the higher freqs, use a faster ADC to cover 6M, and provide a 10MHz reference input for freq stability. That's pretty much it on hardware for me. Oh, and USB3 if it helps?.

          Dave GW4GTE

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "gerard mc laughlin" <gerrymc123@...> wrote:

          > It would have about the same appeal to me as an Echolink button on front of my HF transceiver and get the same use, I'm content thinking Nico is working on a software update i'd find useful.
          >
          > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "bwiesgickl" <wiesgickl@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I uploaded a file "ALA_Wood_Home.doc". It shows the result of two Perseus, two ALA-Antennas in two locations. One location is at home, the other one in a wood at least 2 km away from civillisation (except the high sophisticated Perseus).....
          > > The remote perseus is linked home via Remotedesktop. Remotedesktop has some disadvantages (e. g. long audio delay, high bandwith, waterfall) which I expect the WWW button of the Perseus would not have.
          > > What location would you prefere for DXing?
          > >
          > > @Nico If you need a test environment for the WWW button I could give you the IP-address.
          > >
          > > 73s de Bernd, DF9RB
          > >
          > > Note; Darwin is Q4 from remote, nothing at home.......

        • Roelof Bakker
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 2, 2010
            Hello Dave,

            I believe that the difference is that (still!) many radio enthousiasts
            love radio as nothing else.
            This is beyond the mainstream consumer attitude and that is right so!

            So common marketing issues don't apply!

            73,
            Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt
          • Dave GW4GTE
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 2, 2010
              Hi Roelof,

              True on here we're all passionate enough to be bothered to join the group, and a number are passionate enough to stand up and be counted. We are not just dumb consumers.

              I would argue that such a passion creates more emotion over seemingly small features, and rather than basic marketing principles not applying I suggest they apply moreso. The mere hint of (purely by example you understand :-) a 'www' button says much more to the radio officionado than a typical consumer. (But only if that's something you want of course - pull-marketing as opposed to push-marketing). We don't have to be told we want it - we already know we want it. Or to mention the old sales training saying "sell the hole, not the drill", we already know we need the hole, we're told the drill is coming but it never arrives, and now we need the hole even more! (then we don't care whose drill we buy)

              :-)

              Dave GW4GTE

              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Roelof Bakker" <roelof@...> wrote:

              > Hello Dave,
              >
              > I believe that the difference is that (still!) many radio enthousiasts
              > love radio as nothing else.
              > This is beyond the mainstream consumer attitude and that is right so!
              >
              > So common marketing issues don't apply!
              >
              > 73,
              > Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

            • andrea montefusco
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 2, 2010
                On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Dave GW4GTE <Dave@...> wrote:

                > Maybe we could play "fantasy-Nico"  and design ourselves an imaginary Perseus II. I'll start with: add a selectable pre-amp for a usable sensitivity on the higher freqs, use a faster ADC to cover 6M, and provide a 10MHz reference input for freq stability. That's pretty much it on hardware for me. Oh, and USB3 if it helps?.

                Dave, you don't need to dream or wait for a Perseus II.
                Sell your Perseus, go out and buy an HPSDR equipped with
                Mercury+Magister+Alex+Excalibur and use Alberto's I2PHD WinRad as DSP
                software: the specs seem compliant with that above.
                No WWW buttons there, but the source is availabe and you can add any
                button you want :-)

                *am*

                --
                Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV
              • Dave GW4GTE
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 2, 2010
                  Hi Andrea,

                  Interesting alternative, although I would keep Perseus anyway cos I like it so much [Nico falls off chair!].

                  I looked at the HPSDR project before buying perseus. Big risk in UK, and big cost to import "without warranty of any kind" (gulp). And some of the spats surrounding that project are a bit worrying. I'd sooner stick to UK available warranted kit, timid person that I am.

                  A friend of mine plans to buy Excalibur so the chance of a head to head with Perseus should happen soon (not that Exc. answers all my wish-list either).

                  I can write *some* code and design *some* circuits but I've no www experience to the depth required. When I chat round the world via Skype effortlessy, using screen sharing, file sharing, and live video, I can't help thinking that before long someone outside Italy will come up with embedded www. As a workaround I use WinVNC for remote control of Perseus and Skype for the audio.

                  Dave GW4GTE

                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, andrea montefusco <andrea.montefusco@...> wrote:

                  > On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Dave GW4GTE <Dave@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Maybe we could play "fantasy-Nico"  and design ourselves an imaginary Perseus II. I'll start with: add a selectable pre-amp for a usable sensitivity on the higher freqs, use a faster ADC to cover 6M, and provide a 10MHz reference input for freq stability. That's pretty much it on hardware for me. Oh, and USB3 if it helps?.
                  >
                  > Dave, you don't need to dream or wait for a Perseus II.
                  > Sell your Perseus, go out and buy an HPSDR equipped with
                  > Mercury+Magister+Alex+Excalibur and use Alberto's I2PHD WinRad as DSP
                  > software: the specs seem compliant with that above.
                  > No WWW buttons there, but the source is availabe and you can add any
                  > button you want :-)
                  >
                  > *am*
                  >
                  > --
                  > Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV

                • gerard mc laughlin
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 3, 2010
                    The questioned was poised "what value a WWW....? I merely pointed out as far as I was concerned it would be totally worthless.
                    I bought the Perseus unit on it's then present specs as it met my needs then and still does, I'd be content if it remained in it's current form whereas you give the impression if this WWW button isn't activated you'll feel shortchanged so you're going to harangue the manufacturer at every opportunity until it is activated.
                    I've absolutely no evidence software tailored more towards my needs is in development, if something comes along all well and good, an option covering 6m would be nice but if it doesn't happen I won't be knocking myself (or Nic) out over it ;)

                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Dave GW4GTE" <Dave@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    > Clearly commenting subjectively on a www button from the point of view of usefulness polarises people into those who want to <easily?> control their Perseus receiver remotely and those who have no need to do so. There is a very high chance I'd acquire a second receiver, placed in a quieter location if 'The Button' came to be enabled=true as well as visible=true.
                    >
                    > I'd be interested to hear what software updates you would find useful and what evidence leads you to believe they are in the pipeline. Is it the logic "things that are promised don't arrive, so things that aren't promised must be on the way"
                    >
                    > Ah yes, ... <thinks> Gemini wasn't promised but it's on the way. Or is it? (my bet - based on no info at all - is that Gemini will appear, but not in the form it started out as. But I do look forward to seeing what it eventually becomes)
                    >
                    > Maybe we could play "fantasy-Nico" and design ourselves an imaginary Perseus II. I'll start with: add a selectable pre-amp for a usable sensitivity on the higher freqs, use a faster ADC to cover 6M, and provide a 10MHz reference input for freq stability. That's pretty much it on hardware for me. Oh, and USB3 if it helps?.
                    >
                    > Dave GW4GTE
                    >
                    > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "gerard mc laughlin" <gerrymc123@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It would have about the same appeal to me as an Echolink button on front of my HF transceiver and get the same use, I'm content thinking Nico is working on a software update i'd find useful.
                    > >
                    > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "bwiesgickl" <wiesgickl@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hello,
                    > > >
                    > > > I uploaded a file "ALA_Wood_Home.doc". It shows the result of two Perseus, two ALA-Antennas in two locations. One location is at home, the other one in a wood at least 2 km away from civillisation (except the high sophisticated Perseus).....
                    > > > The remote perseus is linked home via Remotedesktop. Remotedesktop has some disadvantages (e. g. long audio delay, high bandwith, waterfall) which I expect the WWW button of the Perseus would not have.
                    > > > What location would you prefere for DXing?
                    > > >
                    > > > @Nico If you need a test environment for the WWW button I could give you the IP-address.
                    > > >
                    > > > 73s de Bernd, DF9RB
                    > > >
                    > > > Note; Darwin is Q4 from remote, nothing at home.......

                  • Andy
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 3, 2010
                      The software was released with the button although it was disabled, IMHO the
                      feature should be enabled or the button removed. For over a year there has
                      been rumour and speculation the button will work, its ridiculous and poor
                      that the software was ever released with this greyed out button, why tempt
                      users with a feature that will most likely never appear?

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 3, 2010
                        My point exactly. Fix it or remove it, - or stop calling it professional.

                        Dave GW4GTE

                        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Andy" <a_w_smith@...> wrote:

                        > The software was released with the button although it was disabled, IMHO the
                        > feature should be enabled or the button removed. For over a year there has
                        > been rumour and speculation the button will work, its ridiculous and poor
                        > that the software was ever released with this greyed out button, why tempt
                        > users with a feature that will most likely never appear?

                      • monitor
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 3, 2010
                          Good grief, people!  Our mothers don't work at microtelecom!  Give it a rest..........

                          The excruciating hand-wringing over "he said/she said" and "why weren't we given xyz" is displacing the information that should be available here, and eclipsing the discovery and fun that has been seen in the past.  This process  is more than capable of killing the excitement of new features if & when there might be such revisions---by the time some new feature arrives, we'll all be so worked up, we won't appreciate the feature for what it is.

                          This is one of the most glaring examples of "looking a gift horse in the mouth" I've ever seen.  Be happy for what we have.........

                          I really value this list for the genuine tech skills that reside here, but this feature anxiety is a real mood damper...we all know the difference between a suggestion/request and a complaint..........As a matter of fact, where is it written that this receiver has to do all things for all people all the time?  Where did the experimental spirit go?   You want a feature?  We've been given the tools...create the feature...some have, most don't .

                          By the way, where are the little rubber feet that should have been provided with the receiver?  If I yank on the coax cable on the receiver, it freely slides off the shelf....further, when I push on the front of the receiver, it slides backward........

                          please ... thank you

                          John C.

                          <gerrymc123@> wrote:

[...]

                          <*> Your email settings: