RE: [perseus_SDR] differences in signal strength on two computers

  • Simon HB9DRV
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4, 2010

      Sorry all, wrong button, too much sun and beer :)

      Simon Brown, HB9DRV

      http://sdr-radio.com

      From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Simon HB9DRV

      Simon Brown, HB9DRV

    • Guy Atkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4, 2010
        Are you positive that Perseus is truly more sensitive when running on one computer versus the other, or is it just that the signal meter reads higher? That's an important difference. Also, are ALL settings otherwise the same between the setups, such as sampling rate, mode, bandwidth, AGC, AGC threshold, etc.?

        If you tune in a weak, threshold level voice station with all the Perseus settings being equal between the two computer configurations, can you understand more words and phrases on one versus the other?

        I've not experienced a reception (sensitivity) difference between computers, but I'm wondering if you are referring to the level on the signal strength meter.

        73,

        Guy Atkins
        Puyallup, WA USA

        On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 7:27 AM, flogger426 <flogger426@...> wrote:
        can someone tell me why when i run perseus on an older pentium 4 desktop that perseus is more sensitive than when running on a dual core laptop? this has me baffled - has anyone seen these differences when  using different computers?

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           perseus_SDR-digest@yahoogroups.com
           perseus_SDR-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • gw4gsg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 4, 2010
          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "flogger426" <flogger426@...> wrote:

          > can someone tell me why when i run perseus on an older pentium 4 desktop that perseus is more sensitive than when running on a dual core laptop? this has me baffled - has anyone seen these differences when using different computers?
          >
          > 73

          Hi Flogger426,

          I also run an old P4 and a Toshiba dual core laptop and there is no difference in Perseus performance between them.

          My first guess in your case would be that it's not a 'sensitivity' issue as such but that the laptop setup is degrading the noise floor of your receiving station.

          Assuming you're using the same power/USB/antenna leads on both, are you running with the battery charger permanently plugged into the laptop? These things are notorious for creating wideband RF noise.

          73,

          Eric
          GW4GSG
        • Dan Ferguson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2010
            I don't understand the concept of "too much ... beer"

            Dan

            --

            Dan Ferguson
            North American Shortwave Association: http://www.naswa.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2010
              absolutely right - my settings were different between the two computers - things are normal now. both computers are giving the same "audio" signal strength now. i aploigize for any confusion - the more i use this rig the more amazed i am - now to get the timed recording software working.