Re: gemini software

  • Dave GW4GTE
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
      After some messing about with video converter plug-ins I managed to view what I assume is the video. I was surprised to find nothing more than a general view of a floor area with people milling about, and a vague image of what may or not have been a Perseus/Gemini display somewhere in the distance. Did I get the wrong file?

      As no images of Gemini specific screen shots have appeared, do we assume that nothing exists yet? The product info thus far poses more questions than answers and is clearly meant for a different market than Perseus. All Perseus "classic" needs hardware-wise imho is a better noise figure i.e. a built-in switchable pre-amp. The prospect of diversity reception and interference removal with dual receivers is appealing though, and the external reference clock is much appreciated.

      I wonder when the main Microtelecom site will carry a link to Gemini info. It's odd that two of the three links are to products that no longer exist while the latest fab thing gets no mention at all.

      Is Perseus hardware cast-in-stone or will the eventual design end up being different I wonder? Anyway it looks an intriguing development that appears to offer facilities that the increasing number of pretenders to the king-of-SDR crown currently don't offer.

      It seems that every new product has SDR in it somewhere. I see signs that the big companies are catching on to the idea they can talk up retail costs by adding features while in fact reducing production costs considerably. Sounds a good business model to me!

      (maybe with the exception of the Yaesu FTdx5000D. What a ridiculous front panel that is. Hey guys - use a large LCD panel for goodness sakes. Check out what Icom have been doing for the last decade)

      Dave GW4GTE

      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Simon HB9DRV" <simon@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >

      > It's ftp://ftp.ham-radio.ch/common/incoming/VIDEO0001.3gp
      >

      > Size ~ 3.3 MB, copy and do what you like with it. I was quite pleased - new
      > htc Desire phone :)
      >

      > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
      >
      > http://sdr-radio.com
      >

      > From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On
      > Behalf Of iv3nwv
      >

      > > I took a ten second video with my htc Desire - can upload if needed.
      >
      > Please, Simon.

    • Roelof Bakker
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
        Hello Dave,

        Please be aware that this is a small company which provides cutting edge
        technology.
        Whilst the competition comes up with a more or less equal product that
        Mirotelecom launched three years ago, the new offering has features not to
        be found anywhere else.

        Talking about business models, we are very lucky to have small business's
        like Microtelecom aimed at innovation rather than non technical issues as
        maximum profit and shareholders interests.

        There is no sign yet that the "big three" players in the amateur radio
        market will come up with an innovative design on short notice.

        It is hard to fathom, but the simple truth is that the expensive current
        top models with multiple roofing filters etc. are technically speaking
        things of the past.

        Best regards,
        Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt
      • Simon HB9DRV
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010

          I'll post a couple of hi-res pics of the Wood Box stand in a few minutes.

          FWIW I really like the Yaesu FTDX-5000 panel and have the FT-950. I find the display very easy to read with aging eyes (I'm 52 3/4).

          Simon Brown, HB9DRV

          http://sdr-radio.com

          From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dave GW4GTE

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010

            Hi,

            Three high-res pics of Beppe's stand: ftp://ftp.ham-radio.ch/common/Simon

            Sorry I didn't take more pictures - after getting up very early I lost the will to live while walking round the show so went for some good German beers :)

            Simon Brown, HB9DRV

            http://sdr-radio.com

            From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Simon HB9DRV

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010

              I'm not sure this is true for transceivers at the moment - maybe in a few years from now.

              When Nico and other similar companies produce their SDR transceivers and the software really catches up then we can start to lay traditional designs to rest. I was very impressed with the simplicity and usability of the Kenwood TS-590S, it'll be one hell of a challenge to match this with a pure software solution.

              Simon Brown, HB9DRV

              http://sdr-radio.com

              From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Roelof Bakker

              It is hard to fathom, but the simple truth is that the expensive current
              top models with multiple roofing filters etc. are technically speaking
              things of the past.

            • Highq
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
                Roelof,

                thanks, you are thinking correct.

                I remember the year 2007 when, in a little and hidden corner of hall A1,
                Nico and me presented PERSEUS: a little black/yellow box with a simple A5 two side paper
                which promised good performance..............promises have been kept !

                PERSEUS after 3 years is still the reference for 3000 satisfied users......and not only them ;-)

                Now.......GEMINI....quietly and without triumphalism......with the same desire to make a good radio,
                different from PERSEUS in some aspects, with more and sophisticated technology, without comparison before.

                I'm sure everyone in Microtelecom will work to keep its promises also this time.

                Stay tuned.......

                73 Beppe
                IK3VIG

                woodboxradio.com

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
                  Simon,

                  thanks !!!

                  But.....why yet you remained "anonymous" this year?
                  >:-o

                  73 Beppe
                  IK3VIG

                  From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [ mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Simon HB9DRV

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
                    OT again

                    My "little" or "simple" point of view about SDR & knobs:
                    http://www.woodboxradio.com/uk/image/FLEXpad_presenting.jpg

                    It was seen working on FLEX SDR in my booth at hamradio 2010.

                    Sorry agn for OT.

                    73 Beppe
                    IK3VIG

                    woodboxradio.com

                    At 11.00 01/07/2010, you wrote:

                    Simon,

                    May be off-topic,but look at this mixing desk:
                    http://www.avid.com/static/resources/images/products/cw_700x700_dcommandes.jpg
                    It is purely SOFTWARE controlled by knobs.

                    It is no problem to combine sdr technology with hardware controllers.

                    TS-590s is definitely on my list as a "use" radio :-)

                    73'
                    Paul
                    PD0PSB

                    I was very impressed with the simplicity and usability of the Kenwood
                    > TS-590S, it'll be one hell of a challenge to match this with a pure software
                    > solution.
                    >

                    > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                    >
                    > http://sdr-radio.com
                    >

                    > From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [ mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On
                    > Behalf Of Roelof Bakker
                    >

                    > It is hard to fathom, but the simple truth is that the expensive current
                    > top models with multiple roofing filters etc. are technically speaking
                    > things of the past.

                  • Simon HB9DRV
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010

                      Because you are always busy with customers and I like to leave sales people to do what they do best.

                      Come to the RSGB Convention in 2010, with luck I'll demo something very new :)

                      http://www.rsgb.org/rsgbconvention/

                      Simon Brown, HB9DRV

                      http://sdr-radio.com

                      From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Highq

                      But.....why yet you remained "anonymous" this year? >:-o

                    • Marco IK1ODO -2
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
                        Hi Roelof,

                        interesting data. Some week ago I did several days of activity in 10m
                        in WSPR. My antenna is a seven-band vertical (ECO 7+) so obviously
                        not fantastic.
                        Checking at various times of the day, I have been always able to
                        detect an increase in noise by switching from a 50 ohm termination to
                        the antenna; so the Perseus seems sensitive enough for operation in
                        suburban areas (I live in a residential village, but every house
                        seems to have three PC and three plasma TVs, not counting LED lightnings :-()
                        However it seems that other stations receive my signal with better
                        S/N, so other places are clearly quieter. I did some experiment with
                        a nice Norton differential amplifier, low noise (3 dB NF) and 10 dB
                        gain (an ANZAC AM-109) and put it before Perseus. The S/N indeed is
                        now marginally better, let say 3 dB in average. However, the AM-109
                        dissipates about 10W... :-) linearity and low noise have a price!

                        73 - Marco IK1ODO - JN35sa

                        At 18:18 01-07-10, you wrote:
                        >Hello all,
                        >
                        >On paper the 16 dB noise figure of PERSEUS is something that looks a bit
                        >cheap.
                        >As I understand it, this is a design trade off to maintain the good strong
                        >signal handling capabilities of the A/D convertor at the receiver front
                        >end.
                        >However, how "bad" is it in practice?
                        >
                        >Here you can download a 42.6 MB PERSEUS recording:
                        >
                        >http://www.ndb.demon.nl/IW2DZX/
                        >
                        >It is a 400 kHz wide recording tuned to the 500 milliwatt (!) beacon
                        >signal of Aldo Moroni, IW2DZX from Italy as received in the Netherlands.
                        >You can also tune around and see what a nice tool PERSEUS waterfall
                        >display is to spot the fast fading in and out 28 MHz beacon stations.
                        >
                        >My antenna is a 2 x 16 m long doublet with 11 meter open feedline, matched
                        >with a balanced ATU.
                        >
                        >Best regards,
                        >Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt
                      • Wolfgang K.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
                          Hi all,

                          I think it will come as before. The product is announced we see
                          allready wish lists and 'why can't we have this and why is that'.

                          Folks, Nico is selling his product at the time he decides and with
                          the functions he decides. We are not with our parents at a Christmas
                          market! And out of the specs it's neither a Long Wave or Medium Wave
                          broadcasting spectrum recorder!

                          There was a huge demand on infos at the WoodBoxRadio stand during
                          the HAMRADIO.

                          Look here http://tinyurl.com/32a9fkh for a picture

                          The brochures had been dragged away all the time.(Thinks that's Nico,
                          or is is Beppe ? behind the empty info box). Anyway, it was a good show!
                          Good to see these guys again!

                          73
                          Wolfgang, OE1MWW

                          P.S.: Nico promised to change the video refresh rate for extreme stubborn
                          PCs, like mine is and 'maybe' the tuning band will be sticky in
                          waterfall mode in the final 3.0.

                          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:

                          > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "scottish_dxer_ken" <jokethebiker@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Did no one take any photos of the Gemini in action??
                          > > Of the software???
                          >
                          > Ken,
                          > as it happened for Perseus the software will came after the hardware tests will be completed.
                          > I've already planned to pass my Summer "holidays" to deploy its (new) framework.
                          >
                          > > Of Nico at the stand etc....
                          > > Would be keen to see a screenshot...
                          >
                          > Some pictures of HamRadio 2010 taken by Christoph Ratzer are available at this address:
                          >
                          > http://www.ratzer.at/ham2010.html
                          >
                          > 73s
                          > Nico / IV3NWV

                        • Highq
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
                            At 15.03 01/07/2010, you wrote:
                            >The brochures had been dragged away all the time.(Thinks that's Nico,
                            >or is is Beppe ? behind the empty info box). Anyway, it was a good show!
                            >Good to see these guys again!

                            Hi Wolfgang,

                            sorry but was incredible: more than 3000 brochures (mixed of various
                            products) fly away
                            in the two first day of fair. Late Saturday and Sunday we was
                            completely without a single brochure !

                            Thank you for visiting WBR's booth !

                            73 Beppe
                            IK3VIG