Re: [perseus_SDR] Concerning scaleability

  • Mark Durenberger
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 3, 2010
      The USB cable is a lot simpler than many folks think.  It's just 4 wires---2 are 5-volt power; 2 data

      I took two of my junkbox cables (they were larger diameter---maybe had bigger conductors).  Tied the two reds and the two greens together, connected them to a power cable that would fit the Perseus.  Plugged the "Y" cables into two USB computer ports and it worked.  The reason for two cables...I believe in most computers the USB ports are current-limited, so you want to stack 2 ports to get enough to drive the Perseus.

      Remember...this lashup is only to get USB POWER to feed the Perseus power input.  You still need a third USB cable for the Perseus data connectivity.

      Regards,

      Mark Durenberger

      Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:12 PM
      Subject: RE: [perseus_SDR] Concerning scaleability

      I tried two cables - one that came with a Targus mini 4 port USB hub, and this one: http://www.amazon. com/USB-Power- Adapter-Y- Cable/dp/ B000JIOHDE  Neither of them worked to power the Perseus using my Asus EEE netbook, IBM T43 laptop, and MacBook Pro laptop and MacPro computer (I figured I'd test see if at least it would power up the Perseus).

      Do you happen to know the brand/source of the cable that you are using that works?  I'd be willing to give it one more shot with a "known" working brand of cable.

      I bought the Perseus used; the previous owner is unaware of any "damage" to the USB port, and the radio works, so I'm pretty sure everything is OK inside the Perseus. . .

      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 3, 2010

        >Remember...this lashup is only to get USB POWER to feed the Perseus power input.  You still need a third USB cable for the Perseus data connectivity.

        AHHH, NOW I get it.  I thought people were using a Y style cable to power the Perseus as well as connect it for data, sort of like an external portable hard drive.

        I might give building this a shot this weekend. . . I now have a bunch of spare cables that are unused. :)

        Thanks a million!

        Bill

      • Mark Durenberger
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 3, 2010
          I could have been less 'techy' in the last note.  Below is a really CRUDE idea of how this works

          Regards,

          Mark Durenberger

          Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:12 PM

          Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 10:37 AM

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010
            Hi Bill,

            I use this method as well with homemade 2xUSB power cable ( +1 for data )  and it works fine on a Dell laptop.

            BR Werner

            Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:12 PM

            Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 10:37 AM

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010
              Hi all,

              I wonder if its possible to get some response on what some of you
              Perseus users are using of laptops.

              I guess many types of laptops are rather unknown in Norway, so I would
              try to narrow it down to those
              that are common here in Norway....HP...Compaq...Acer...Asus...Samsung,
              these are those I came up at
              the moment. Probably is there some more.

              Advantages and drawbacks to what you're using....and....a important
              issue...the power supply!

              Perhaps there isnt a perfect laptop for use with Perseus.....but come up
              with your experiences on the
              use.
              I'm sure there is some interest in what other users have, and dont want
              to recommend!

              73's

              Alf Aardal
            • Bill Carney
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010
              • Guido Schotmans
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010
                  Strange. Can't get my Autohotkeys working with the new version.

                  I think it must have something to do with Windows Taskbar fix

                  73,

                  Guido.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010
                    Hi Bill..........
                    Thank you for the message!!!!
                    I will be downloading in the morning and report back....
                    ...Thank You NICO!!!!
                    Enjoy our Persus'..........
                    Steve. UK....
                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Bill Carney <bill@...> wrote:

                    > It's here!
                    >
                    > http://microtelecom.it/perseus/software.html

                  • tvdxrools
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010
                      i notice the howling play back bar is not fixed yet ... david
                    • IT9-4639
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010

                        Il giorno 04/giu/2010, alle ore 23:11, Guido Schotmans ha scritto:

                        Strange. Can't get my Autohotkeys working with the new version.

                        I think it must have something to do with Windows Taskbar fix

                        also here: Autohotkeys doesn't work more...
                        Nico, we need always a *real* use of keyboard integrated into the software, with shortcut and so on: a mouse is nice, but often a keystroke is better! :)

                        So, why now Autohotkeys stop to run?

                        salvo
                      • iv3nwv
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010
                          > So, why now Autohotkeys stop to run?

                          Salvo,
                          as far as I know the autohotkey tool is a software which translates keystrokes into mouse clicks and redirect them to the selected Windows application accordingly to a script file.

                          The Perseus software responds to mouse clicks as expected, so far the only man who can reply your question is the author of the script, not me.

                          73s
                          Nico / IV3NWV
                        • Sylvain Naud
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010
                            Hi Alf,

                            I'm using my Perseus 100% of the time with my personal laptop. It is a near two years old Toshiba (available in Norway?) with AMD Turion dual core @ 2GHz, 2 Go ram + Vista. It works flawlessly and it is quiet. Now with the new software release, it may run even smoother as I'm reading on the forum. On Monday, I should take time to download and install the new version. Meanwhile, I enjoy reading all the post about the new 3.0 (beta).

                            Sylvain Naud
                            Portneuf, QC
                            Canada
                            http://www.quebecdx.com

                            Alf Årdal a écrit :

                            Hi all,

                            I wonder if its possible to get some response on what some of you
                            Perseus users are using of laptops.

                            I guess many types of laptops are rather unknown in Norway, so I would
                            try to narrow it down to those
                            that are common here in Norway....HP...Compaq...Acer...Asus...Samsung,
                            these are those I came up at
                            the moment. Probably is there some more.

                            Advantages and drawbacks to what you're using....and....a important
                            issue...the power supply!

                            Perhaps there isnt a perfect laptop for use with Perseus.....but come up
                            with your experiences on the
                            use.
                            I'm sure there is some interest in what other users have, and dont want
                            to recommend!

                            73's

                            Alf Aardal

                          • hmaier1959
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010
                              Has anybody checked whether the flicker problem has been fixed?
                              Horst

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010
                                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Sylvain Naud <esnaud@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Alf,
                                >
                                > I'm using my Perseus 100% of the time with my personal laptop. It is a
                                > near two years old Toshiba (available in Norway?)

                                Taking care of beeing misunderstood, I refered to the brand being available in Norway, not that specific 1 1/2 years old Toshiba model for sure :-)

                                Sylvain Naud
                                Porteuf, QC
                                CAN
                              • IT9-4639
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 4, 2010
                                  Nico,

                                  as far as I know the autohotkey tool is a software which translates keystrokes into mouse clicks and redirect them to the selected Windows application accordingly to a script file.

                                  yes, but in the first instance it should handle the Perseus application (hack), perhaps there is something that we must find, after this new version (for the rest this beta is truly good for me)

                                  The Perseus software responds to mouse clicks as expected, so far the only man who can reply your question is the author of the script, not me.

                                  ok :)
                                  but I would say that Perseus software inside should have the keystrokes, without use the script :-)

                                  have a nice day!

                                  salvo

                                • bwiesgickl
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 5, 2010
                                    Hello,

                                    with 3.0 beta I have strong splatter from 207 kHz when listening on 198 or 216 kHz. I presume that the splatter is generated by the beta 30 AM-demodulator. It can be seen also in the secondary window (not in the main window). The signal difference is more than 40 dB between 207 and the neighbor channels. The versions 2.x don t show this behavior. The software settings and Perseus settings were identical when I compared.

                                    I made a wave file.
                                    Nico if you need the file, give me a upload possibility for it.

                                    73 s Bernd, DF9RB
                                  • Alf Årdal
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 5, 2010
                                      Hi Sylvain,

                                      Yes...Toshiba is also available in Norway as well.....so might be a choice among other brands.

                                      How is battery capacity?  Since you mentioned its quiet, I guess that means the PSU isnt a issue
                                      for you.

                                      73's

                                      Alf Aardal

                                      Sylvain Naud skrev:

                                      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Sylvain Naud <esnaud@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Alf,
                                      >
                                      > I'm using my Perseus 100% of the time with my personal laptop. It is a
                                      > near two years old Toshiba (available in Norway?)

                                      Taking care of beeing misunderstood, I refered to the brand being available in Norway, not that specific 1 1/2 years old Toshiba model for sure :-)

                                      Sylvain Naud
                                      Porteuf, QC
                                      CAN

                                    • Mark Durenberger Mobile
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 5, 2010
                                        It might also be useful to increase the height of that bar; we'd probably then be more accurate in mouse-clicking.

                                        I confirm a resource-load improvement of about 15%; that made the difference on a once-marginal laptop.

                                        THANK YOU!

                                        Mark Durenberger, CPBE

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 6, 2010
                                            This thread is a mix...